POS [Point Of Sale] system for restaurant

Well, your lanacfg showlanapaths command shows lana 0 mapped to the broadcom adapter. Doesn't the advice text say that lana 0 should be clean? So it seems you'd have to change it in the way shown.

What do you mean by "clean"

Type lanacfg setlananumber 0 9 <enter>
See...... Lana changed.

Type lanacfg showlanapaths <enter>
See...... Lana: 9

If I type lanacfg setlananumber with no numbers, I see this:
lanacfg setlananumber <old lana number> <new lana number>

Seems like I might not be comprehending the instructions? Coorsman say:
Set Lananumber to 0 of the aloha network adapter using lanacfg (see other posts)

It is 0. Why am I doing a exercise to change it?

marty said:
It is 0. Why am I doing a exercise to change it?
Because he said:
type in:

lanacfg showlanapaths <enter>
this will display all adapters and their lana numbers

if you see one with 0 then you will need to change it to another number that is not being used lets use 9 for an exaple.

do this by typing in:
lanacfg setlananumber 0 9 <enter>
I read it as him not wanting it to be 0.

Here is my guess?

LAN = Local Area Network
LANA = Local Area Network Adapter

Do some servers and POS terminals have more then 1 LANA? If yes? Then the instructions would be:
Set Lananumber to 0 of the aloha network adapter using lanacfg
All the other network adapters should have different LANA numbers.

As far as I know, my computers have one LANA.

This project was on hold for awhile. I am a bit overwhelmed.

Update:
Aloha 5.3.47g is installed. Terminal is IBM SurePOS 500 Type 4951-514 with attached cash drawer and receipt printer. Server is IBM System x3200 M2. Windows XP. Terminal and server are connected with one Ethernet cable. No internet. On server is Aloha Manager QuickService. On the terminal is a really detailed sample menu with all kinds of food, a time clock with 4 sample employees, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, and more. I feel like I got a job in a restaurant and have no idea how to work the POS system.

Cash drawer don't open. Receipt printer constantly spits out small amounts of blank paper. Is there a Aloha 5.3.47g setup manual?

Copy and paste text here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/alohapos/comments/5flmr0/aloha_5347g_need_setup_manual/
People there are deep into Aloha.

It's over :( Old IBM equipment is going into boxes.

Here we go again. All new equipment and new software.

BigMoose likes http://thinktank.pmq.com/forums/pos-software-and-technology-discussion.8/ Everyone over there seems to like:
https://www.pointofsuccess.com/

2 Touchscreen Monitors by the phones for order taking. One of them will be a cash register on top of the cash drawer with receipt printer and customer display. Manager’s Computer in the office. 3 printers in 3 different areas of the kitchen.

Prices:
SOFTWARE
Point of Success Premium $429
Additional Computer Licenses $140
Additional Computer Licenses $140
Caller ID 2 Line $299 (software and Point of Success Caller ID box)

HARDWARE (approximate prices) (some used, refurbished)
Elo 1715L 17" Touchscreen Monitor $200
Elo 1715L 17" Touchscreen Monitor $200
HP Compaq 6300 Pro SFF PC, Intel Pentium @ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro $100
HP Compaq 6300 Pro SFF PC, Intel Pentium @ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro $100
Will these $100 computers work with the Elo Touchscreen Monitors?

Epson TM-T88V POS Receipt Printer $200
Epson DM-D110 Customer Display $100
Verifone VX805 credit card reader $150 https://www.vantiv.com/
Nice big Cash Drawer $100

HP Z400 Workstation, 1x Xeon X5660 2.8GHz Six Core Processor, 8GB DDR3 Memory, 1x 2TB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Pro $400
monitor, keyboard, mouse, for office computer $100?
Whats the difference between a server and a big computer? Any suggestions for a lower cost server?

Epson TM-U220 Receipt/Kitchen Printer $200

Cables, wire, odds and ends $300

Total approximately $3358 so about $4000 plus labor.

Merchant pays fees to credit card processing company. Wish I had 3% of everyone's money for everything. Here is link to pizza shop owners discussing how they bargain for lower rates.
http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/credit-card-fees.17834/
Point of Success software works with Vantiv

Want to learn about mobile credit card readers with printer for the delivery drivers. Writing card numbers on paper and typing them into the machine takes a stupid amount of time. How do they work in the rain, wind, snow, bad weather?

I've been using Zienix POS software for almost a year now. They offer additional options such are customer database, takeaway order monitoring, table and guest scheme etc. Good thing about Zienix is that they offer one month free trial so you are able to actually test their POS first before making a desicion.

For anyone stumbling on this old Aloha, IBM, POS confusion. Here is link to drivers.
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/retail/poseng/upos/
Save these files in your computers in case it disappears. FTP instructions here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80998&p=1195647&hilit=ftp#p1194568

marty said:
Update - Touch terminal and printer are bolted to cash drawer. Played with Floreant POS software. Seems primitive. Windows are too big for my small 800x600 touch screen. Receipt printer and cash drawer not working.

Did a 2nd clean install of Windows XP and installed all the drivers as per instructions in Operating System Installation Guide - SurePOS 500 Model 514

Receipt printer is not working. IBM part number 16K8537. Internet searches take me to IBM SureMark 4610

Back of computer looks like this.
4951-514 rear.jpg
Printer has two cables, 24V power the red one, and a serial cable, I chose serial A.

Cash drawer has a cable that looks like this:
cash drawer cable.jpg
I chose 3A for cash drawer cable

Got Windows XP running with no POS software and I am pulling my hair out trying to get the printer to print. Here is a link to:
SureMark Printers Hardware Service Manual
Open printer top cover. Press and hold the paper feed button for 5 seconds. The LED indicator will make one quick flash, accompanied by a beep, followed by a pause. Close the top cover. Prints customer receipt test OK.

Windows XP does not seem to find and install this printer. Install this printer driver.
Windows 32 bit http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pos1R4000123

Printer driver installs no problem. Looks like the computer is not seeing the printer? Cables look OK and are all plugged in. Please see printer Offline image.
4610 Offline.jpg
Find this chart in the Operating System Installation Guide - SurePOS 500 Model 514
ports1.jpg
port2.jpg
My guess is that printer is COM1
Add Toshiba Port.jpg
Tried different COM1 port settings.
COM1 Properties.jpg
Even tried following the instructions in the driver text file.
bits per second = Baud Rate set on the printer using dip switch at the bottom of the printer. For example 9600, 19200
Data bits = 8
Parity = None
Stop bits = 1
Flow Control = Hardware (if Printer dip switch set to DTR/DSR)
XonXoff (if Printer dip switch set to XonXoff)

Did not touch printer dip switches. They are set to default values. 4 dip switches. All off except 3 is on.

Wondering if something is not right with BIOS settings? I did not change anything. Did Load Optimized Defaults. Please see some pictures of the BOIS.
BIOS Setup.jpg
Standard CMOS Features.jpg
Note model number 4851-514 sticker on computer reads 4951-514 that's close.
Integrated Peripherals.jpg
Seial Port A IO.jpg
Serial Port A IRQ.jpg
When trying to print a text document or test from the Control Panel > Printers and Faxes > Toshiba 4610 > Properties > Print Test Page. Receipt printer no print :(
failed to print.jpg
Sorry about the bad photography.
My memory of cables has become a tangled mess. Printer serial cable looks like this:
41zUacpdu8L.jpg

marty said:
Senior Software Engineer at Toshiba came through. No lawyers needed. He put 3 files in some cloud. Downloaded all 3. Two of them download failed. Got the Memory Key Package. Fun diagnostics software. Boots and runs off of a thumb drive. Able to test the MSR, that is the credit card swiper Magnetic Stripe Reader and the cash drawer. Diagnostics software will not find the printer.

Put this file into the diagnostic thumb drive.
IBM 4610 SureMark Printer, Microcode files for Firmware Update
Not sure if it was needed?

Printer is IBM 4610-TF6 Cleaned the print head with alcohol and it now prints beautiful test...... Open printer top cover. Press and hold the paper feed button for 5 seconds. The LED indicator will make one quick flash, accompanied by a beep, followed by a pause. Close the top cover. Prints customer receipt test.

After playing with the [TOSHIBA Diagnostics for POS Systems and Peripherals] Printer paper feed button behavior has changed. It used to spit out paper fast. Now it goes in spurts. Not a problem just a change. I suspect printer firmware was updated. Also at random times when attempting to get printer to print it will spit out a small amount of paper with no text.

Long story short. Computer is not seeing printer.

Marty notes from [TOSHIBA Diagnostics for POS Systems and Peripherals] experiment.
Cash drawer = COM D
MSR = COM F
"Memory Key Package. Fun diagnostics software."
Diagnostics-MemoryKey.zip
Zip file is 225,657 KB I be happy to email to anyone who wants. Or I could upload to the internet.
It's too big to upload here I tried.

Back