Possible problem with MAC 7T & Infineon

RC_guy

10 W
Hey guys,
So for my 1st build I decided on a MAC 7t, Infineon 40 amp from Cell man and a 12s 3p 15ah Lipo.

I should have bought the 8T because I only go to the medium power setting...Full power must be crazy. I need to reinforce my norco VPS2 2000

My main question is now, I commuted to work for the 1st time today (25km). I run with a turnigy watt meter until I get my hands on a CA.
At around 43 kph (26mph) I consume around 15 amps. I am always super smooth on the throttle and never go above 25 or 30 amps.
My controller started letting go when I was at 43 kph. It's just the same as if I completely let go of the throttle. I just throttle back and I can give throttle again.

The controller or motor are not heating up at all so I wonder what could be happening?
Has anyone had this?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20120818_150952.jpg
    IMG_20120818_150952.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 621
My mac10 and infinion will just cut throttle at least once a day. Starts right up again when releasing throttle then engaging again. Its not from overheat or low voltage or anything I can pinpoint. It will do it at various times and usually only on the flats so no heavy loads. Just one of those mysteries.

I get a cut out sometimes on a bump. Comes right back on when I cycle the throttle. Checked for wire connections and bad wires, nothing. Mac 8t, 15s4p LiPo, 12 fet w/4110's.

Also get a cutout on take offs, once in a while. In any 3 speed position.

At that point of cutoutwhat was battery voltage and AH consumed?

Do you know what LVC the controller is set to?

Dan

Isn't this weird :? mine does exactly the same, cutting power to the motor at around 27mph on full throttle.
It's a MAC 10T @ 48v with Infineon controller BTW.
It only does this about once or twice on a ride, and the throttle needs to be released and twisted again to resume power to the motor.
I assumed it was the Cycle Analyst, but maybe it's gremlins in the controller.
Doesn't affect my ride, but still weird. And I thought I was the only one :shock:

Hm, that's strange. I've not had this problem with cell_man's MAC motor / controller combination. But my stuff is circa early-mid 2011.

I wonder if there is a batch of bad throttles or something, since this seems intermittent.
Moar data please!

Some controllers will cut out if the throttle signal goes too high. This is a safety feature to guard against a short in the wires. You could try adding a resistor in series with the 5v line to the throttle (100 ohms?). otherwise you could try adding a mechanical stop to the throttle.
Could be something else too, but this is easy to test.

Whats really weird is that on my ride to work in the morning, it has not done it (I've only ridden twice). But on my way back again tonight it did it...

At the time when it does it, I am at about 25mph, pulling about 12 amps on a straight. I do not know what LVC is set to but I never go below 45 volts on my 12s lipo pack
I guess it just works better in the morning...my wife is a morning person :oops:

The only real thing that is different is that in the morning it is about 66 F and in the afternoon about 80 F. However, just when it happened, I stopped and touched the controller and motor, they were both about 2 degrees above ambient temp....Go figure???

My Mac set up was doing the same thing too, until I found a lose connection in the five pin plug on one of the hall wires.
My five pin plug is not far from the rear axle, I found the problem by moving the plug with my foot while riding, this would cause the cut out.

hah, on that note one of my controllers had a loose hall pin for the motor connection as well, i had to do some ghetto fix on a long ride that involved borrowed scotch tape and scissors to bypass the pin that the wire broke off of..

This cheap infineon controller connectors seen on the lyen, cell_man, and other even cheaper no-name chinese brand controller can have bad crimps in the wire > pin connection.

Guys, do check for this; tug lightly on the throttle/hall wires and see if something is loose. Could very well be the culprit!

neptronix said:
Hm, that's strange. I've not had this problem with cell_man's MAC motor / controller combination. But my stuff is circa early-mid 2011.

I wonder if there is a batch of bad throttles or something, since this seems intermittent.
Moar data please!

I use an E-maxi thumb throttle so no connection. However I did hack the 3speed switch from the cellman throttle and installed it in my bag. So possible similarities could be 3 speed switch.

Its mac 10, 15s lipo, infinion 12 fet 4110.

Also everything is hard-wired. No plastic connectors.

Back