Race Role Call - 102 Miles Enduro in California (02-11-2012)

mrbill said:
Folks:

Here's my blog entry on last Saturday's epic MegaMonster ride down Highway 25 and back.

http://mrbill.homeip.net/bikeBlog.php?2012#lkMegaMonsterEnduro.2012.02.11

If you don't want to read my long-winded report, just click through to the photos.

Thanks for the report Bill. I enjoyed reading it. :)

Alan B said:
Great story, Bill, and nice battery pack, Lyen. What does the No 5 display on the readout tell us?

The device that is attached to the balance connector is the low voltage monitor alarm and display. No 5 is refer to the voltage being display on the 5th cell. The display will automatically display the overall voltage and individual cell in sequence.

I have just finished uploading the 1080P GoPro2 video for the race (it is still processing so the highest quality may not be viewable):
[youtube]ZOGQwIEWUHQ[/youtube]

Over 20 Gigs really took a long time to upload. Anyway, enjoy. :D

Ed,

Looking at this picture

http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/lkMegaMonsterEnduro.2012.02.11/pages/page_45.html

It appears your battery pack was almost entirely behind the rear axle. The handling must have been frighteningly squirrelly. Get a touring bike, with long chainstays, and split the battery weight up between two panniers, ahead of the rear axle.

You seat appears way too low. You could probably sit flat footed at a stop. You should be somewhere between the balls of your feet, and the tips of your toes, on the pavement, when seated at a stop. You essentially walked 102 miles in a squat. I know e-bikers do this all the time. But not while trying to pedal for 102 miles. I work in a bike shop. We fit people on bikes all the time. Do yourself a favor, and find a good shop to get a proper fitting, and you will kick ass next year.

Warren

i was gonna mention that too...
also, lyen, r u using clipless pedals, (doesn't look like it from that pic above)
its a must have if you gonna pedal a lot...

I suggest a Bruce Gordon touring bike, he's from the bay area... :D
bikes-brucegordon.jpg

Hi Warren,

Thanks for pointing this out. I was spoiled with the electric bicycle riding position. I originally intended to change out the stem and a shorter and higher angle one and lowered the saddle/seatpost as low as possible expecting to get a better aerodynamic position. But I have to admit it is totally uncomfortable. I will take your advice and have a bike shop guy help me with the fitting. :)

Here is my riding position from the race back in February 12th, 2011 (I felt quite comfortable on this bike like this :p ):

Here is my riding position from the last race in February 11th, 2012 (seatpost/saddle too low and should push back a little, stem also too short :oops: ):
l45.jpg

I will also get the battery pack with better balance next time.

Cheers,
Edward Lyen

Warren said:
Ed,

Looking at this picture

http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/lkMegaMonsterEnduro.2012.02.11/pages/page_45.html

It appears your battery pack was almost entirely behind the rear axle. The handling must have been frighteningly squirrelly. Get a touring bike, with long chainstays, and split the battery weight up between two panniers, ahead of the rear axle.

You seat appears way too low. You could probably sit flat footed at a stop. You should be somewhere between the balls of your feet, and the tips of your toes, on the pavement, when seated at a stop. You essentially walked 102 miles in a squat. I know e-bikers do this all the time. But not while trying to pedal for 102 miles. I work in a bike shop. We fit people on bikes all the time. Do yourself a favor, and find a good shop to get a proper fitting, and you will kick ass next year.

Warren

Yes, I was actually was using the dual sided pedals below:
50-8259-BLK-ANGLE.jpg

During the race, I decided not to clip in and only used the platform side because the road was quite slippery and I was expecting to fall anytime. If I fall I wanted to land on my feet first whenever possible. :roll:

That is a nice touring bike by the way.

sk8norcal said:
i was gonna mention that too...
also, lyen, r u using clipless pedals, (doesn't look like it from that pic above)
its a must have if you gonna pedal a lot...

I suggest a Bruce Gordon touring bike, he's from the bay area... :D
bikes-brucegordon.jpg

Back