Saving an old Corbin Sparrow

RicBarbour

1 µW
Since there isn't much info here on repairing or putting lithium batteries in a Corbin, I'm linking to my recent DIY Electric Car thread on the process. It took more than 3 months of part-time work to get it drivable for local use on an 85v A123 lithium pack. It includes photos and videos.

And yes, I know two guys who both own far too many old Sparrows and are trying to find buyers for them. This would mainly be for someone who wants to experiment with it -- this is not a "commercial product" nor even a beginner's hobby item, you are basically buying someone else's headache, an orphaned electric 3-wheeler that is "kind of historic" and obsolete.

Advantages include massive fiberglass/foam construction with steel subframe, making it surprisingly safe, and a solid drivetrain with a 22-hp series DC motor that can produce absurd amounts of torque at low speeds. Primitive design with decent brakes and suspension. Well suited to modifications/experiments. Ask the "liveforphysics" guy on this forum.

Disadvantages include a questionable electrical system, documentation that is shaky or nonexistent, abandonware motor controllers, and weather seals that don't always work to Detroit standards. Plus a few other weak spots, like a semi-useless wiper and a sad little defrosting heater. Just be forewarned that Sparrows are not well suited for driving in bad weather. Apart from that, you can go crazy, as they aren't rare or old enough to be "collectible". Yet.

Questions are welcome.

Since there isn't much info here on repairing or putting lithium batteries in a Corbin, I'm linking to my recent DIY Electric Car thread on the process. It took more than 3 months of part-time work to get it drivable for local use on an 85v A123 lithium pack. It includes photos and videos.

And yes, I know two guys who both own far too many old Sparrows and are trying to find buyers for them. This would mainly be for someone who wants to experiment with it -- this is not a "commercial product" nor even a beginner's hobby item, you are basically buying someone else's headache, an orphaned electric 3-wheeler that is "kind of historic" and obsolete.

Advantages include massive fiberglass/foam construction with steel subframe, making it surprisingly safe, and a solid drivetrain with a 22-hp series DC motor that can produce absurd amounts of torque at low speeds. Primitive design with decent brakes and suspension. Well suited to modifications/experiments. Ask the "liveforphysics" guy on this forum.

Disadvantages include a questionable electrical system, documentation that is shaky or nonexistent, abandonware motor controllers, and weather seals that don't always work to Detroit standards. Plus a few other weak spots, like a semi-useless wiper and a sad little defrosting heater. Just be forewarned that Sparrows are not well suited for driving in bad weather. Apart from that, you can go crazy, as they aren't rare or old enough to be "collecti". Yet.

Questions are welcome.
This sounds EXACTLY like what I need in my life, although being a single-person vehicle might make having one be a bit less practical. I’ve never seen them before, I’ll have to be on the lookout in the southeastern US. How much did you buy yours for?

San Fransisco Auto Show at the Moscone Center used to offer free booth space to small clean tech startups.
This is where the Sparrow was introduced.
I happened to have a space next to them displaying my recumbent bicycle designs.
It was amazing to watch the buzz around this car and watch how many eager people put down $1,000 deposits.
One guy from the Seattle area committed to 14 cars.
How times have changed . . .
Interesting read.
Thanks.

You are in good company !
a few years back, one of the “heros” of this site .(.Liveforphysics,..Luke Workman)… did is similar Sparrow uprate !….

Last edited:
I bought a crashed Corbin Sparrow from Apple Valley, CA back in 2008ish and swapped out every electrical component to fit an AE86 Corolla while still in Highschool. Basic specs were 144v ADC motor, Curtis 500a, 144v 10a charger, +70mph top speed, and had +800lbs of AGM deep-cycle batteries. I always start in 3rd gear but my GF (wife now) just leaves it in 4th gear as if it were an automatic. I sold it to a wannabe Honda ricer who ended up using my personal AE86 stories and taking credit for the build.

Good times. In the far future, one of my projects will involve either modifying an enclosed electric street legal golf cart (Gem or Polaris) with 144v lithium & 500a controller or doing another EV conversion.

Last edited:
Basic specs were 144v ADC motor, Curtis 500a, 144v 10a charger

It actually ran at 156v--apparently the body was designed and then they crammed as many 12v Optima lead batteries into it as possible, which added up to 13, making 156v in series. (Only Optimas will fit because of their rounded corners. Plus, the price of Optimas is thru the roof by now--it's almost the same price as putting lithium in there.)

+70mph top speed, and had +800lbs of AGM deep-cycle batteries

Corbin claimed it would cruise at 75mph "no problem". For maybe 20 minutes. They also built a couple of "performance specials" with 75hp motors that could do more than 120mph. I think the batteries weighed 660 pounds originally. Literally more than one-third of the vehicle's total weight with no driver.

Good times. In the far future, one of my projects will involve either modifying an enclosed electric street legal golf cart (Gem or Polaris) with 144v lithium & 500a controller or doing another EV conversion.

A neighbor owns an old GEM and is trying to get it repaired to sell. It takes a 72v battery and is hard-limited to 25mph, because it was licensed and approved under the "LSV" designation. It's also rather crude and shoddily built. Flimsy "body work". I've seen nicer golf carts frankly. But it does have space for 4 adults.

Despite my issues with the Corbin, there are far worse EVs in the world. Watch the Aging Wheels video about his European-made Twike.

It actually ran at 156v--apparently the body was designed and then they crammed as many 12v Optima lead batteries into it as possible, which added up to 13, making 156v in series. (Only Optimas will fit because of their rounded corners. Plus, the price of Optimas is thru the roof by now--it's almost the same price as putting lithium in there.)

Corbin claimed it would cruise at 75mph "no problem". For maybe 20 minutes. They also built a couple of "performance specials" with 75hp motors that could do more than 120mph. I think the batteries weighed 660 pounds originally. Literally more than one-third of the vehicle's total weight with no driver.

A neighbor owns an old GEM and is trying to get it repaired to sell. It takes a 72v battery and is hard-limited to 25mph, because it was licensed and approved under the "LSV" designation. It's also rather crude and shoddily built. Flimsy "body work". I've seen nicer golf carts frankly. But it does have space for 4 adults.

Despite my issues with the Corbin, there are far worse EVs in the world. Watch the Aging Wheels video about his European-made Twike.
Eyy, another aging wheels watcher! The wheego is probably a better example of a bad EV than the twike; at least that got multiple generations.

Back