Site C hydroelectric dam project in BC, Canada

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Just got an email... in part:
"Our people" (ED: folks that arrived in NA before the Europeans), Prophet River and West Moberly First Nations, have been fighting the Site C hydroelectric dam project (“the project”) for close to five decades. The project threatens to flood three of the largest rivers in our territory: Peace, Moberly, and Halfway Rivers. Over 107 kilometers of river valleys and their tributaries could be under water, including ancient burial sites.

On September 12, 2016, we will be in Montreal in the federal court of appeal to challenge Canada’s project approval. Our community members will be embarking on a road tour across Canada to magnify the gross injustices of this project and to amplify public support for the protection of the Peace River Valley.

Province has their own web site:
https://www.sitecproject.com/

... watt reminds me of the Aswan Dam in Egypt?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aswan_Dam

... in part: "The reservoir, named Lake Nasser, is 550 km (340 mi) long and 35 km (22 mi) at its widest, with a surface area of 5,250 square kilometres (2,030 sq mi)." (Versus the 107km of river valleys to be flooded by "Site C" in BC.)

Closer to home, in Ontario, I've boated on vacations many times on the Rideau Lakes... With large sections of the lakes formed by flooding that valley to form the canal system from the Ottawa River to Lake Ontario/the Saint Lawrence river. Done stuff like snorkel diving among flooded forest tree stumps...

Anyway... Some folks in BC might blame "those nasty ebikers" for their "troubles"?

NO idea about any "politics" that went on surrounding the Aswan Dam in Egypt... or the Rideau system in Ontario. (Ontario canal built to protect river trade from those darned Americans as I recall. Not sure.)

Thoughts on "resource development"? I know there's "always a down side". Metals and minerals mining for example.

Back