Toseven DM02 or Tongsheng TSDZ8?

maxwolfie

10 mW
Looking for a budget mid drive kit with torque sensor to go on my trail MTB.

The DM02 is about $719 AUD shipped whilst the TSDZ8 is slightly cheaper at about $639 AUD shipped.

I still haven’t completely ruled out the TSDZ2B either, which is quite a bit cheaper at about $417 AUD shipped.

DM02 has very advanced display where you can adjust a lot of settings regarding motor. Torque sensor sensitivity can be tweaked, number of PAS levels , power limits , motor assist level and so on.

On other hand TSDZ8 is very locked down. You can't tweak anything! So you have to accept how everything was setup by some guy in factory. TSDZ8 also uses the same outdated torque sensor like in TSDZ2B.

tsdz8_teardown%20(24).jpg

Last edited:
I had similar dilemma recently and chose TSDZ8 (and TSDZ2B) for few reasons:
- Tongsheng is on the market for a long time.
- Available in UK from reputable seller
- Road legal

On the other hand Toseven is a startup company, which made some noise over a year ago and then disappeared. Their motors are back in stock in China for last couple of weeks, but nothing in UK. Not road legal in UK. I wish them all the best, but they don't inspire confidence.

Road legal? What's that? 25km/h max speed, 250W and no throttle? You can configure DM02 to be street legal as well. You just go to settings , change few options and done. DM02 does not even come with throttle.

Road legal? What's that? 25km/h max speed, 250W and no throttle? You can configure DM02 to be street legal as well. You just go to settings , change few options and done. DM02 does not even come with throttle.

Don't be funny. You can't change settings in controller and make for example 1000W motor legal. Motor must be rated 250W by manufacturer.

Edit: On the other hand once you have motor rated 250W you can go to settings and make some changes. So for example it is legal to have 48V motor (rated 250W) set to 20A.

Last edited:
Don't be funny. You can't change settings in controller and make for example 1000W motor legal. Motor must be rated 250W by manufacturer.
Yes you can. See cyc photon. They have specific profiles in the app for EU and Japan.

TSDZ8 is even less "legal" than DM02. TSDZ8 is a 750W rated motor

while DM02 is also available as 350W

Last edited:
You are wrong. To be road legal in UK motor must be continuous rated power 250W or less as specified by manufacturer.

LOL. So this means that euro ebikes imported from EU to brexitland are now illegal? If you didn't know BOSCH,BROSE,SHIMANO motors use ALOT MORE power than 250W in the highest asisst level.

POWERS.jpg

Your TSDZ8 motor is just a regular 750W motor with glued sticker from aliexpress :)

My TSDZ8 is rated 250W by manufacturer and sticker was applied by Tongsheng.

Brose, Bosch, Yamaha motors are legal in UK and in Poland as they are rated 250W. I don't think you understand what rated power is and it is main reason why you are so confused. I gave you a link, you are most welcome to read it.

CYC motor is completely illegal in UK.

i would be interested to see a comparison between the new TSDZ8 and the DM02 motor.
i would say the looks go to the tsdz8, its more modern design compared to the lazy copy paste design from dm02 .
but i think dm02 has advantage on the battery voltages i think it works from 24v to 60v batterys ? i can't confirm this though.
im not really sure what i would choose between these 2 motors, i think both have the potential to be great it just depends on how much the user can configure so right now i think the dm02 is the better choice but in future the tsdz8 could also become good i think

I have a Photon now but I had really good luck with my old TSDZ2 that I ran stock and on OSF. It gets badmouthed a lot but I had no issues with the torque sensor or any mechanical part. The only real problem was heat management for those who expected it to run full power continuously, which of course, is totally unnecessary to ride at 20+ MPH (you do have to pedal some), unless you are on long very steep hills where you needed to be more careful. The modifications for cooling many of us did really helped with that.

The TSDZ8 has more mass and seems to be designed to alleviate the heat management issues which will greatly improve this motor. How successful they have been, IDK yet because I haven't seen any detailed tests or reports here. But I wouldn't hesitate to try one of these. And they are cheap, so if you don't like it you can always try something else.

The ToSeven motors look promising, too, although they haven't been out for long so they are sort of unproven. But again, cheap, so trying one would not be unreasonably risky.

Last edited:
TSDZ8 also uses the same outdated torque sensor like in TSDZ2B.

tsdz8_teardown%20(24).jpg

Is this the same torque sensor setup from TSDZ2 from Tongsheng? Where are the torque sensors located in Toseven, Bafeng, Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shimano mid drive motors. Who has the best torque sensing system in the final product and what sets one apart from the other?

Back