Variable Voltage/Amp Battery Charger with WIFI access

gobi

10 kW
A very short Gobi review.

What:
Riden RD6018 or any Riden RD heads.
PS = Mean well HRP-500-48

Cost:
This was the reason I opt'd this solution. Riden RD 6018 was around $80 and Meanwell PS $40

Why:
I wanted something I could set the charge voltage/current and forget about it. Having ability to access over wifi is a plus.
Small form factor was also a feature.
For $120, you have a UL rates PS and a digital buck charger.

Voltage/Range and limitations:
RD 6018 has a current limit of 18 A Output, and 70V input however my PS limits me to 500W max but we have seen Meanwell being able to pump out a bit more power.

Though the HRP is rated for 48 volts, the voltage POT turn up all the way produces a max voltage of 58.x volts (yah)

The buck feature of Riden limits to -3v of max input volts.

Uber kool feature:
The RD in Charge mode will stop charging once the current drops below x.x amps (someone help me with the exact number pls)

Future upgrades:
I will upgrade the PS to a 70v supply, I will probably use 2 meanwell PS in series, I have the newest one RD6024, which is quite a lot of amps.

A 3d printed rear cover would be nice.

Keywords: variable voltage current lithium LFE Li-ion charger, wifi charger,

PICS

Attachments

• RD_3.jpg
    RD_3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 83
  • RD_2.jpg
    RD_2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 83
  • RD_1.jpg
    RD_1.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 83
gobi said:
The RD in Charge mode will stop charging once the current drops below x.x amps (someone help me with the exact number pls)
Depends on chemistry

Really for any lithium, stopping earlier is better for longevity, so HVC no Absorption cycle at all is best.

You should be limiting the C-rate anyway, ideally below 0.4C, once CV setpoint is reached amps will start to drop, anytime in there terminate charge.

I certainly would not allow lower than 0.2C

For lead, you want to define 100% as high as possible for health, opposite of Lithium hold it there as much as you can for longevity

e.g. AGM units give as much current as it will accept, and hold CC/Absorb all the way down to 0.05C unless mfg data sheet says otherwise.

Back