Weld Batterypack

Dr.Mugg

1 µW
So I'm going to build myself a batterypack and would like some advice. Let's describe what 've got and I'm trying to do.
I have got 21700, 3.6v,15A max discharge continuous batteries and my plan is to build a 4s3p so should have a output of 14,4 V, 45A and 15000mAh if I've done my work correctly.
I want to spotweld this and I'm looking at kWeld as a possible device. I've try to do some research and have a hard time finding a reliable source for what a need do weld together this with. 0,2mm thick 10mm width seems like something kWeld is capable of handling. But when I do the math on what size of nickleplate I need I'm looking at a 28mm wide 0,2mm nickleplate wich seems kind of undoable, Also stacking 2 or 3 together seems like something a kWeld can't handle. Any suggestions on how I should do this or where i can find any info on how to pick the correct material and sizing of plates to weld them together?

N.E.S.E. is an 18650, 21700/20700 and 26650 size cell modular system made for simple battery building and assembly which does not require special skills, tools or knowledge.​

Key advantages of the system:

• Only basic electrical knowledge required
  • Single tool assembly. Requires only screwdriver
  • No expensive equipment like spot welder or soldering station is needed
  • Not even slightest damage to cells caused by heat when soldering or welding
  • Vibration proof design using advanced elastomers
  • Larger contact area for more power. All interconnects are made from copper which is up to 70% more conductive than nickel
  • Lifetime usability and easy maintenance. Rapid cell replacement
  • All design files are available for replacement parts to be manufactured all around the world with access to 3D printer

Another way is to use nickel sheet with copper wire soldered on to it. I used .15mm nickel which is easy to weld. You solder the wire on before you weld the cells so the heat from soldering can't damage the cells.

You can see an example of this in my Sur-ron build thread. Look for the part where I'm doing the battery. I pull around 80A on this pack:

Sur-ron build

copper nickel Sandwich
Also 3 or 4 strips of nickel strips at one time is would be doubtfull of weld holding but spot welding 2 strips then 2 more strips can be done. Copper nickel sandwich technique works great.
Later floyd

What's it for ?

This guy will custom make what you might need for your battery as far as bus bars I've talked to him he's really good. I think East would use it in a battery pack on the six page.

1714717316477.png

Last edited:

N.E.S.E. is an 18650, 21700/20700 and 26650 size cell modular system made for simple battery building and assembly which does not require special skills, tools or knowledge.​

Key advantages of the system:

• Only basic electrical knowledge required
  • Single tool assembly. Requires only screwdriver
  • No expensive equipment like spot welder or soldering station is needed
  • Not even slightest damage to cells caused by heat when soldering or welding
  • Vibration proof design using advanced elastomers
  • Larger contact area for more power. All interconnects are made from copper which is up to 70% more conductive than nickel
  • Lifetime usability and easy maintenance. Rapid cell replacement
  • All design files are available for replacement parts to be manufactured all around the world with access to 3D printer

Thank you very much! Will look in to this!

Another way is to use nickel sheet with copper wire soldered on to it. I used .15mm nickel which is easy to weld. You solder the wire on before you weld the cells so the heat from soldering can't damage the cells.

You can see an example of this in my Sur-ron build thread. Look for the part where I'm doing the battery. I pull around 80A on this pack:

Sur-ron build
Great work man! Thanks for the reply :)

copper nickel Sandwich
Also 3 or 4 strips of nickel strips at one time is would be doubtfull of weld holding but spot welding 2 strips then 2 more strips can be done. Copper nickel sandwich technique works great.
Later floyd
That is also a great way of doing it! Thanks!

Back