what size gear puller for 9c rear hub?

chilledoutuk

100 W
Ok i am thinking of getting a gear puller so that i can take apart my 9c 6x10 but the largest one i can find on ebay is 150mm is this big enough or will i need bigger?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Jaw-Gear-150mm-6-Puller-Reversible-Legs-External-Internal-Pulling-BERGEN-/260990438745?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3cc43e0d59#ht_2829wt_1344

thats the one i am thinking of getting.

that's the exact one I use on my ht motor. more than big enough, and should be fine for a 9c too, as I think they're very similar in size right?

yea mate gear puller's are great. the first cover I took off with screw drivers etc and took me like 30min, was a real pain in the ass. With the gear puller, it took about 30 seconds, with no risk of damaging the motor!

Sounds about right, 6 inch jaws is what I have. But it can open much further for a light pull, like a hub cover.

you have to put the three gear puller teeth out on the rib that the spokes go through. if the three point gear puller puts enuff stress on the rib while trying to break the glue holding the cover on, then the rib breaks off, then you can buy a new hub and not have to worry about fixing that one.

i still think whacking on a board is easier. and faster, and safer. you don't usually have to remove the stator from the hub anyway. just need to get the cover off.

dnmun said:
i still think whacking on a board is easier. and faster, and safer. you don't usually have to remove the stator from the hub anyway. just need to get the cover off.
What does "whacking on a board" mean?
My 2807 is functioning properly. I just want to get the cover off to see the inside. After removing the 9 bolts on I thought it's just a matter of prying up the cover. I try in vain to insert a flat screw driver, I even use a hammer to tap lightly on the screw driver but the cover just won't move. Is it glued?

If you remove the screws from the wire side, then get a piece of hardwood or something similiar (so you do not damage the axle threads ). Then place hub on the wood with the wired side facing up and the axle side on the wood and bang the axle on the wood the cover should pop off. When replacing the stator into the hub BEWARE of you fingers as the magnets are strong and SNAP the stator into the hub

BEFORE you whack it on the axle, unscrew the nut, reverse so the wide part is out and screw it down so the end of the axle is flush with the face of the nut. that way the nut absorbs the impact of striking the block of wood and it doesn't deform the threads on the axle.

that will free the cover on the wire side, to free the cover on the other side, use a wooden rod through the holes in the stator, and knock the other side free from the wire side.

best to leave it unless it is broken. but if you have to replace the wires, you will need both covers off, but you don't have to remove the stator to work on it. the glue in the cover seal keeps water out so keep it virgin as long as you can.jmho.

SamTexas said:
Ok, dumb question: So how do you use this gear puller to open a 2807 hub? A picture would be great.

the way I did it was remove all the screws on the wire exit side. then hook the 'teeth' of the puller on to your spoke flanges, as far away from the spoke holes as possible. then you can pull both the magnet ring and the free wheel side cover off at once.

thanks for the great info there guys.
I will definitely remember to break the glue seal using the method mentioned especially if i think its taking too much pressure from the gear puller to push the cover off.

At the moment the hub is fine its just the only one i have so i want to be careful when i take it apart should a bearing go or something.

that reminds me the 9c bearings are 6202's right?

Back