Zero Battery, Motor, etc. as a drop in for Electric Plane

FortAwesomeIII

100 µW
Hello, I have a 2012 Zero xu that I have immensely enjoyed for the past year or so and made a few light mods on. It has a little over 1000mi on it.
Lately, I have been reading a lot on electric planes powered by all sorts of motor/battery combos. They all interest me, and I have always had an interest in flying(never done it as a pilot, though). However, even getting started at the lowest cost possible building or converting an electric ultralight appears to be easily well over a $10k endeavor. That is prohibitive at my current budget.
Since most of that cost is in the power train, my thoughts on the matter are to figure out a way to remove the motor, battery, and critical components of my Zero Xu in order to use in an ultralight or plane. Ideally, one could be purchased that is structurally in good shape but with significant motor troubles on the cheap(~$2000-3000?). I wonder if the Zero motor/batt combo could power a plane/ultralight? It seems to me that it could, though I am not familiar with the rpm range of the motor and if the prop would be directly run at motor rpm or more or less on a pulley/belt system. Assuming this would work, I'd like to swap these components out for the plane's motor/fuel tank and give it a try. It would be worth it to me if this could work straight up as a semi permanent power plant to get the chance to fly, but I wonder if it would be possible to use the "guts" of my bike as a modular power plant for a variety of different applications? As it is, I am estimating that to remove and replace the items I am speaking of would take at least hours. Having an electric plane would be a dream come true, but it would be even better if I could still swap the motor and other components back into the bike just as easy as it is to remove and replace battery.
I would like to explore the possibility of swapping in the battery, motor, plus controllers, etc. in my waverunner, sailboat, possible flying machine, and maybe more. Does this sound absurd or am I on to something? Anyone ever thought similar ideas?
Thanks for reading!
John

So look up the weight of your motor. I'd sure hate to see you tear it apart for an experiment. I think it's considered too powerful for the ultralight regs anyway.

You need 15kw or less, right? Under 25 pounds is good. We have threads in this section on electric flyers, so info about their motors is linked here in some. But you can get just this motor for $395 plus shipping, or the whole kit for $1,750.

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_pmac-ss.php

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_kits.php

And your bike will be spared.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/11041-challenge-you-all-14.html#post137240

I guess it's getting to be time to start figuring out if they've been having trouble free use of that 120-70 for hang gliders and parasails.

Thanks for the input-you brought up something I never considered which is TOO much power. My question was more about, "Is it enough?"
I like those motor packages, and though the idea of not having easy use of my bike kinda sucks, I am still trying to concoct a feasible plan to produce a flying "something" with the bulk of the materials required being something I already have.
I would rather have access to a heavier ultralight or light plane with a rigid wing type design so it might be possible to cover the wings in 6x6 ~4-4.5watt solar cells. These things are SUPER light and thin and cost about $0.25/watt in bulk. There is the matter of encapsulation and mounting, but it's possible. I've seen it on a few planes on the internet.
I am honestly quite ignorant to anything related to what I need to fly (horsepower, rpm, etc) and this is mostly just a hypothetical question. However, I am learning and if I ever came across the right buy in a plane, I am open to a project.
Thanks again for the ideas!

http://www.machnone.com

Thought I'd posted this a few days ago. One prospect of what you could build, another is the flying flea from that post.

I was thinking you were referring to a paraglider or the like, you'd need a more powerful motor than I posted for a real ultralight plane.

Ive sat in a Zero drivetrain powered airplane. :)

liveforphysics said:

And you are still alive !!! I 've always known that Lithium battery are good :mrgreen: !!!

Doctorbass said:
liveforphysics said:

And you are still alive !!! I 've always known that Lithium battery are good :mrgreen: !!!

He didn't say he flew in it. You're saying there's a kind of battery that'll kill you just for sitting near it? Is this the dreaded crack battery?

Not at all absurd. Historically speaking motorbike engines work great on aircraft. You see them all the time on paramotors, and hang glider trikes. I am sure a Zero Electric motorbike engine would work too.

I reccommend getting just a paraglider if you are itching to get your feet off the ground. You can get a nice setup for less than $3000 and it's a lot more fun to thermal hunt/ scratch for ridge lift with just the wisper of wind in you ear than the whole fuss around loading/unloading your motor then take off from a runway bit.

I am honestly quite ignorant to anything related to what I need to fly (horsepower, rpm, etc) and this is mostly just a hypothetical question
I find flying with 32 horsepower at 7000 feet to be barely adequate on a paramotor.

Back