uk house mains electric, corroded terminal in floor gap?

Solar, wind, hydro and other non-fossil sources of electricity.
jimmyhackers   10 kW

10 kW

uk house mains electric, corroded terminal in floor gap?

Post by jimmyhackers » Aug 30 2022 9:37am

i went round my parents house a while back with a portable radio, looking for sources of electrical noise.
i found quite a few, mainly electrical appliances and other random things.
random note: their teasmaid was particularily bad, and right next to my moms head while she slept, since replacing it shes started sleeping better and her general mood overal has improved....

back on track: one of them appears to be in the ceiling above the entrance hall and under the floor of the upstairs bathroom.

its not the normal hum of the mains (its quite noisey/intrmitant/far reaching) and i worry its some sort of bad/corroded terminal arcing.

there are no electrical faults happening like rcd tirpping....but should i investigate?
if you do learn from your mistakes, i should be a genius by now.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Re: uk house mains electric, corroded terminal in floor gap?

Post by Chalo » Aug 30 2022 2:49pm

She probably has an allergy to 50hz hum. I guess she has to move to a 60hz country. :D
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

jimmyhackers   10 kW

10 kW

Re: uk house mains electric, corroded terminal in floor gap?

Post by jimmyhackers » Sep 14 2022 4:33pm

it was related to the teasmaids internal clock as it was at 1hz.... :)
a loud click/tock was electronically auidible from the radio from upto/about 8 feet away.

most mains wall hum from mains cables etc usually is only electronically audible from within 1foot.

get yourself a cheap battery am-fm radio and have a look about your house, its quite fun to do.

i initially did it to see what/if anything was making my internet signal bad.......culprit was amazons alexa's wall brick charger right next to the internet master socket.... moving it helped my internet speed a fair bit.

back on track.....i investigated the "noisey" area below the bathroom and bingo!!!, random connnector block was corroded/plastic was yellowed indicating heat.....new block installed, problem fixed.

seeing as it was at worst, a potential fire hazzrd, and at least wasting my parents electricity...its definately worth a try.
if you do learn from your mistakes, i should be a genius by now.