Tesla gearless cars?

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.

Re: Tesla gearless cars?

Postby billvon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:21 am

Matt Gruber wrote:So you guys don't count the 10:1 tesla gear reduction as a gear?

Not really. Unless you have one motor per wheel (i.e. hub motors) you need some gearing to "steer" the power to the wheels via a differential or other device. Such devices have inherent ratios, and they also have gears. But in most cases "gears" refer to selectable ratios that allow a car to achieve a wide range of speeds with a limited RPM range prime mover.

It's like clipless pedals or freezer burn - the terms themselves aren't technically correct but everyone knows what you are talking about when you use them.
--bill von
billvon
1 kW
1 kW

Postby Matt Gruber » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:46 pm

the reason i count it is, i am continually surprised how many moving parts are in a tesla.
hundreds, not 20 as somebody said.(i think Musk)
less parts means less repairs. less things to make noise.
so everytime i see one, it is like seeing a mosquito! :lol:
drat! another one!
i just read there are 50 motors in a model S. :shock:
plenty to keep a mechanic busy as the car ages.
But don't get me wrong, i'd love to pick up an S in 10 years for ~$800 and strip out all the luxury items, which probably won't be working anymore, hence the low price.
WATER PUMP S: $439 there are 2. the other one is only $240
and for my corvette NEW WP $32
Now price the other 48 motors for the S :roll: about $14,400, not including the drive motor.
Last edited by Matt Gruber on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total. View post history.
Matt Gruber
100 kW
100 kW

Postby liveforphysics » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm

The big difference between your Vette and the Tesla, is aside from the Tesla kicking its ass on the street like it's a toy, a species that continues to use Vettes is choosing to conclude a functional life support system for yourself and your kids etc.
Last edited by liveforphysics on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Matt Gruber » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

any modern car can beat a 50 year old corvette :roll:
but no car can touch my -9 e-scooter :P it has a 23" wheelbase and can make a u-turn on a 2' sidewalk. try that with any car :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57921
Last edited by Matt Gruber on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
Matt Gruber
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Hillhater » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Best to refer to the Tesla gear train as its "Transmission",.. because that is what it is a single speed transmission ...transfering the power from the motor to the drive wheels.
Some traditional cars have multi speed and/or auto transmissions
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca
Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Punx0r » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 am

Lebowski wrote:
Punx0r wrote:It had been explained to me before as energizing the field coils out of time in order to create a magnetic field that would partially oppose the magnets and so effectively reduce their strength and raise Kv.

The explanation above does not explain why it also works with external inductors (that do not reduce the magnets field, as they are outside the motor)

I know this is the popular believe but basically it is wrong. A better explanation would be that the motor inductors are used to build a boost (dcdc) converter, to obtain a higher effective voltage to drive the motor.

Both good points :)
Punx0r
10 GW
10 GW

Previous

Return to General Discussion