world's first graphene ship

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
rojitor
100 kW
100 kW

world's first graphene ship

Post by rojitor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:55 pm

rojitor
100 kW
100 kW

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by rojitor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:52 am

The ship has been delivered two days ago

It is 1.6 tons lighter than any other ship of its size (9m) the weight difference in a bigger ship could be huge.
The price is obscene though. I don't know if they are gonna sell many units. Let's call it "first step".

ilegal
1 µW
1 µW

Post by ilegal » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Are you aware that nobody manufactures graphene on a commercial scale? Only small laboratories are using tiny amounts for research and test.

But if you are willing to believe in them I´m sure you are eager to invest huge amounts of money in that company, which I think some moron chinese guy already did.

Some information in Spanish: https://www.elconfidencial.com/tecnolog ... o_1182111/

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Also, even the largest graphene pieces that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered fillers such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

On top of that, there are surely health risks of exposure to graphene that will come to light with more widespread use of the material. I don't want to live anywhere near a shipyard that uses the stuff. This is a much more wicked material than asbestos from a cellular standpoint, and the more effectively they can make relatively large particles of it, the worse it will be.
Last edited by Chalo on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:28 pm

All true today, but it does have a bright path forward as a structural and electrical and thermal material. The length and size of the bits today is small, but it's already gone from being batches you grow to being a continuous mfg process, and that process has seen regular improvements in the size of continuous single layer defect free sheet.

The feedstock materials to make graphene are so cheap (methane and/or CO2 and electricity), it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.

Soon enough, a cheapy wallmart bike will be all carbon and under 10lbs. Graphene and CNT based bikes will be under 5lbs stock.
Chalo wrote:Also, even the largest graphene pics that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered filters such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

On top of that, there are surely health risks of exposure to graphene that will come to light with more widespread use of the material. I don't want to live anywhere near a shipyard that uses the stuff. This is a much more wicked material than asbestos from a cellular standpoint, and the more effectively they can make relatively large particles of it, the worse it will be.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Post by wineboyrider » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:35 pm

liveforphysics wrote:All true today, but it does have a bright path forward as a structural and electrical and thermal material. The length and size of the bits today is small, but it's already gone from being batches you grow to being a continuous mfg process, and that process has seen regular improvements in the size of continuous single layer defect free sheet.

The feedstock materials to make graphene are so cheap (methane and/or CO2 and electricity), it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.

Soon enough, a cheapy wallmart bike will be all carbon and under 10lbs. Graphene and CNT based bikes will be under 5lbs stock.
Chalo wrote:Also, even the largest graphene pics that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered filters such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

Suitable as wine vessels?
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 am

Not today, but that doesn't mean soon enough you won't have a few milligram weight full size wine bottle. I bet that's at least 2 decades out though before it's cheap enough for disposal drink vessels, first it will be ubiquitous in motorsports and bicycling while it's still $$$ to make.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 am

Broken graphene will make broken glass seem as benign as birthday cake. We need to figure out a way to unmake this stuff before we make very much of it.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Post by wineboyrider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks Luke. I am always looking for more eco friendly ways to sell wine. Was thinking aluminum cans and there is always stainless kegs..
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Chalo wrote:Broken graphene will make broken glass seem as benign as birthday cake. We need to figure out a way to unmake this stuff before we make very much of it.

It's immune to most all acids and bases and solvents and extreme temperatures and extreme cold. Fortunately, it should crumple and deform rather than shatter like glass into bits.

Whatever machine makes the right temp and pressure of plasma to form it from some carbon source originally should also be able to recycle it, potentially with atom perfect conservation of material.

At this moment, it's just bits of fluff added to some adhesive like you said, and it might never me more hazardous than using it in that way (sanding dust etc).

The fingers
100 GW
100 GW

Post by The fingers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:40 am

wineboyrider wrote:Thanks Luke. I am always looking for more eco friendly ways to sell wine. Was thinking aluminum cans and there is always stainless kegs..
There's got to be a market for really good tasting wine in gallon glass jugs, like $100+ a pop with a fancy name and pretty label. (I work near what they call "wine country") Can't really picture a kegger wine party, but some of the bigger estates might dispense mixed drinks from 5 gal pump water bottles. (Don't ask me how I know. :oops: )
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

billvon
10 kW
10 kW

Post by billvon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 am

liveforphysics wrote:it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.
Disposable, lightweight oxygen and air canisters. (An application where graphene's strength would really shine.)
--bill von

rojitor
100 kW
100 kW

Post by rojitor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 am

Sorry. No english. No need anyway. They say it has graphene nanofibres and is 20% lighter and Stronger than common ships blah blah.