world's first graphene ship

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Post Reply
User avatar
rojitor   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 954
Joined: Mar 23 2011 6:39pm
Location: vigo spain

world's first graphene ship

Post by rojitor » Sep 27 2017 5:55pm


User avatar
rojitor   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 954
Joined: Mar 23 2011 6:39pm
Location: vigo spain

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by rojitor » Oct 21 2017 5:52am

The ship has been delivered two days ago
Image

Image
It is 1.6 tons lighter than any other ship of its size (9m) the weight difference in a bigger ship could be huge.
The price is obscene though. I don't know if they are gonna sell many units. Let's call it "first step".

ilegal   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 21 2016 2:11am

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by ilegal » Oct 21 2017 12:26pm

Are you aware that nobody manufactures graphene on a commercial scale? Only small laboratories are using tiny amounts for research and test.

But if you are willing to believe in them I´m sure you are eager to invest huge amounts of money in that company, which I think some moron chinese guy already did.

Some information in Spanish: https://www.elconfidencial.com/tecnolog ... o_1182111/

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7077
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by Chalo » Oct 21 2017 12:50pm

Also, even the largest graphene pieces that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered fillers such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

On top of that, there are surely health risks of exposure to graphene that will come to light with more widespread use of the material. I don't want to live anywhere near a shipyard that uses the stuff. This is a much more wicked material than asbestos from a cellular standpoint, and the more effectively they can make relatively large particles of it, the worse it will be.
Last edited by Chalo on Oct 21 2017 3:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 13914
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by liveforphysics » Oct 21 2017 3:28pm

All true today, but it does have a bright path forward as a structural and electrical and thermal material. The length and size of the bits today is small, but it's already gone from being batches you grow to being a continuous mfg process, and that process has seen regular improvements in the size of continuous single layer defect free sheet.

The feedstock materials to make graphene are so cheap (methane and/or CO2 and electricity), it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.

Soon enough, a cheapy wallmart bike will be all carbon and under 10lbs. Graphene and CNT based bikes will be under 5lbs stock.
Chalo wrote:Also, even the largest graphene pics that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered filters such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

On top of that, there are surely health risks of exposure to graphene that will come to light with more widespread use of the material. I don't want to live anywhere near a shipyard that uses the stuff. This is a much more wicked material than asbestos from a cellular standpoint, and the more effectively they can make relatively large particles of it, the worse it will be.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
wineboyrider   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2643
Joined: Sep 30 2009 9:08am
Location: Tularosa, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by wineboyrider » Oct 21 2017 8:35pm

liveforphysics wrote:All true today, but it does have a bright path forward as a structural and electrical and thermal material. The length and size of the bits today is small, but it's already gone from being batches you grow to being a continuous mfg process, and that process has seen regular improvements in the size of continuous single layer defect free sheet.

The feedstock materials to make graphene are so cheap (methane and/or CO2 and electricity), it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.

Soon enough, a cheapy wallmart bike will be all carbon and under 10lbs. Graphene and CNT based bikes will be under 5lbs stock.
Chalo wrote:Also, even the largest graphene pics that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered filters such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

On top of that, there are surely health risks of exposure to graphene that will come to light with more widespread use of the material. I don't want to live anywhere near a shipyard that uses the stuff. This is a much more wicked material than asbestos from a cellular standpoint, and the more effectively they can make relatively large particles of it, the worse it will be.
Suitable as wine vessels?
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 13914
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by liveforphysics » Oct 22 2017 2:43am

Not today, but that doesn't mean soon enough you won't have a few milligram weight full size wine bottle. I bet that's at least 2 decades out though before it's cheap enough for disposal drink vessels, first it will be ubiquitous in motorsports and bicycling while it's still $$$ to make.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7077
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by Chalo » Oct 22 2017 3:40am

Broken graphene will make broken glass seem as benign as birthday cake. We need to figure out a way to unmake this stuff before we make very much of it.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

User avatar
wineboyrider   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2643
Joined: Sep 30 2009 9:08am
Location: Tularosa, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by wineboyrider » Oct 22 2017 9:06pm

Thanks Luke. I am always looking for more eco friendly ways to sell wine. Was thinking aluminum cans and there is always stainless kegs..
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 13914
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by liveforphysics » Oct 22 2017 11:47pm

Chalo wrote:Broken graphene will make broken glass seem as benign as birthday cake. We need to figure out a way to unmake this stuff before we make very much of it.

It's immune to most all acids and bases and solvents and extreme temperatures and extreme cold. Fortunately, it should crumple and deform rather than shatter like glass into bits.

Whatever machine makes the right temp and pressure of plasma to form it from some carbon source originally should also be able to recycle it, potentially with atom perfect conservation of material.

At this moment, it's just bits of fluff added to some adhesive like you said, and it might never me more hazardous than using it in that way (sanding dust etc).
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
The fingers   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6254
Joined: Mar 11 2012 11:22pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by The fingers » Oct 23 2017 12:40am

wineboyrider wrote:Thanks Luke. I am always looking for more eco friendly ways to sell wine. Was thinking aluminum cans and there is always stainless kegs..
There's got to be a market for really good tasting wine in gallon glass jugs, like $100+ a pop with a fancy name and pretty label. (I work near what they call "wine country") Can't really picture a kegger wine party, but some of the bigger estates might dispense mixed drinks from 5 gal pump water bottles. (Don't ask me how I know. :oops: )
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

billvon   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sep 16 2007 9:53pm
Location: san diego

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by billvon » Oct 23 2017 10:38am

liveforphysics wrote:it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.
Disposable, lightweight oxygen and air canisters. (An application where graphene's strength would really shine.)
--bill von

User avatar
rojitor   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 954
Joined: Mar 23 2011 6:39pm
Location: vigo spain

Re: world's first graphene ship

Post by rojitor » Nov 15 2017 4:46am



Sorry. No english. No need anyway. They say it has graphene nanofibres and is 20% lighter and Stronger than common ships blah blah.

Post Reply