toxictoad wrote: ↑
Jun 16, 2018 12:15 pm
I am still confused as to why the MM readings from the plug don't match 8.4v
You said that MM read 8.40v--then that is exactly the same as the voltage you are looking for in the sentence quoted above.
If instead you mean that the MM is reading the ~10v, then that's probably the "unloaded" voltage (without anything plugged in).
If it is not the unloaded voltage, and is instead with the light plugged into it, then that simply means the wallwart it came with is not well-regulated. (or is defective, but probably not).
As for the smoke coming from the light, if that happened with the converter rather than it's original wall power supply, it may mean the converter put out too high a voltage, so somethng overheated and burned. It might nto be an important part required for operation, but it might be a protection part intended to prevetn power spikes/etc from damaging the unit--if so, the unit is probably now unprotected against such things.