Reid Welch Returns (was Re: E.S. Quotable Quotes !)

I have friends here.

This is an update for my ES friends:

I am making great money today as a self employed piano technician, my trade of over forty years.

Thank you for looking after me back when I was hurting.

Today, I am grand. Piano. Income. Home and hearth.

My home of over 35 years remains healthy and safe,

3901 Hardie Avenue, Miami, FL 33133.

I seem to be working two threads at the same time, by accident.

Please consolidate or erase as needed? Thank you E.S. moderators.

Thank you for saving lives (all ebikers).

HD CRASH:
https://youtu.be/INgB9WRFhr8

I was not wearing a helmet.

My front teeth actually banged the concrete (not asphalt) where I impacted.

But my teeth did not quite break off. My lip was contused, only.

ONLY a full face helmet would have possiby saved me from the purple lip I got from this accident.

Sheesh. Helmets are often useless.

If you ride a bi cycle at auto speeds, please wear a full face cage, if you so please.

Put your face in a cage helmet, to save you from 5,000 pound killers.

Or, wear no helmet at all, in order to look and be as vulnerable as possible?

I do. Car drivers really seem to treat me with more respect, more awe, more fear of touching me...

They see you more as like an egg, an eggshell (which you are),

and less like an adversary or competitor.

The car driver sees the helmetless bicyclist as a risk to the car driver.

"I will be held guilty."

The bicyclist never had a chance, anyway, if it came down to an impact with a car at high speed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWhMEkMtLy0

Understand, this is only a single brain's opinion. O pine. Onions speak. They also cry when peeled.

My cycling these days is manual pedalling of a regular, fixed gear bike at average 15MPH speeds.

I weave and I dart in traffic, like a bicyclist should, IMO.

Were I driving an ebike at high speeds: full helmet, por favor, is best, imo.

But, as a pokey bi cyclist: no helmet for me. The cars are more careful that way.

I am pushing 65 years old. I have been bicycling since 1960.

I have yet to strike my head against a car or pavement.

Your results will vary from mine!

Consider the strike of the head from the rear, from an onpassing car!

The helmet helps.

But not for me.

SEE me go head first into the pavement?

https://youtu.be/INgB9WRFhr8

"All I want for xMas is my two fwont teef..."

(Lucky me, I lost no teeth in the crash)

A conventional bike helmet would have done nothing for me in my crash, nothing at all.

Riding without a helmet is breezy, easy, street clothes-y and the way I choose to risk my life, in the heaviest traffic, every day of the year.

Mario! Is life ever fun!

In my opinion. To many laws. Bicycle helmets. Motorcycle helmets. Seat belts. Child seats? Well maybe stupid parents should be required to strap babies into car seats?

Thanks to Dr Buckleoff / Dr Bob. I got a medical exemption so I don't have to wear my seat belt. Neurological problem. Dr Buckleoff died. Wonder if he died in a car crash?

See Risk compensation Force people to wear seatbelts and they drive more dangerously. More cars hit bike riders and pedestrians.

My thoughts.... instead of soft plastic inside cars. Sharp metal and nuts and bolts on the interior, like a old truck I had would make people drive more carefully.

Glad you weren't badly hurt Reid. Great video.

That maneuver is the same one that almost got me twice. Both times I was lucky enough to stop before hitting the car. Did a really impressive stoppie one time on my A2B. Scared the shit out of the kid driving the car and he froze like a deer in the headlights and I had to go around him.

What I've learned is once a car passes you, the likelihood of it doing a sudden right turn is greatly increased. And once a car passes you, you no longer exist in their mind, even if it was only a millisecond ago and you are going almost as fast as the car.

Now anytime a car passes me, I get real defensive about them pulling a turn in front of me. I'll slow down until they get ahead by a good distance.

Now that I have the Sur-ron, I can ride in the middle of the lane and keep up with (or pass) the cars. Being lit up like a UFO also helps get their attention.

Hello fechter. It's now the end of the year.

How do you like to light up?

Reid

Glad you're well Reid! Nice video.

I wear gloves and a full face, both of which get abraided away wreck after wreck until deemed unprotective and replaced. I wreck about 50% of my asphalt track visits, and maybe 500%-1000% average for dirtbiking.

Back