5-120V DC to 5V component for my circuit?

rg12

100 kW
I have a device that someone has built for me for measuring amps/watts etc built to specific requirements that I have requested.
The main thing is that I want the unit to be self powered from the input (usually an ebike battery from 50-117v) so I need a component that will be as small as possible and will drop the voltage to circuit voltage (5V).
I have a super expensive ($8 a unit!) 10 leg component that does that up to 140V even but it keeps on burning whenever I go above 50V area, I guess I maybe exceed the max current draw of 400mA (I have a 1602 lcd with backlight on, gps module, ATmega328P mcu...).
The board is very small with mostly smd except for an Allegro current sensor and which is very big and I want to keep the unit as small as possible.

Any ideas?

I need from a lower voltage than 60V, somewhere around 5-10V to 120V...

rg12 said:
I need from a lower voltage than 60V, somewhere around 5-10V to 120V...
That is going to be tough. You certainly won't get very good efficiency, because the tradeoffs you make for a good 6V to 5V converter are quite different for 120 to 5 volt converters. You could start with the LM5161 - that gives you a 5V to 100V converter.

Right now I have this one:
https://www.digikey.co.il/product-d...7138EMSE-TRPBF/LTC7138EMSE-TRPBFCT-ND/8572868

Which keeps burning.
It has 400mA output and my developer says he suspects it's being over powered and more than 400mA are being drawn out of it.
Its a simple ATmega328P powered device with a current sensor and a GPS module NeoMV2 and a 1602 LCD with backlight on.
I googled it and the backlight takes the most which is about 120mA, MCU about 15mA, LCD itself about 15mA, GPS module about 45mA.
Something isn't right...

rg12 said:
Right now I have this one:
https://www.digikey.co.il/product-d...7138EMSE-TRPBF/LTC7138EMSE-TRPBFCT-ND/8572868

Which keeps burning.
It has 400mA output and my developer says he suspects it's being over powered and more than 400mA are being drawn out of it.
Its a simple ATmega328P powered device with a current sensor and a GPS module NeoMV2 and a 1602 LCD with backlight on.
I googled it and the backlight takes the most which is about 120mA, MCU about 15mA, LCD itself about 15mA, GPS module about 45mA.
Something isn't right...
Did you measure the output current to verify it is really <400ma?
Is the feedback loop stable?
Did you use a snubber across the inductor? At high voltages/power they can become important.
Did you follow recommended layout practices for the high frequency loop? (around L1)
Did you verify you are not saturating the inductor?

Most of that is above my knowledge, will check that with my developer.
Thanks alot :)

Back