Bike shops..

PlanetDad

100 mW
Had my first experiance taking my build to a bike shop today. Spokes have been noisy while the kid and trauker attached, but got extra bad during my ride into town.

Stopped at a local shop, they were willing but hesitant to work on a "home made" e bike. Got a ear full the hole time he was working on it about how dangerous they are. How the hub motors "blow up" the wheel.

Too be fair, this area has some die hard cyclists. And they work on your bike, behind a bar. The beer keep me from arguing too much 😜

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

Yeah, learning to tune your own wheel will be worth it. Some shops will take your wheel off, and then nick a wire putting it back on. They just never saw a wheel with a wire before. My LBS thought I was a kook, well, they still do. But they learned that an e bike rider buys tires and tubes at 10x the rate most riders do. So they got real nice to me in time.

Its not really all that hard if you haven't bent the rim yet.

Mostly, its just a matter of identifying a really loose spoke, and snugging it up.

For actually getting the wheel straight again, put a zip tie on the fork, or the stay, and cut the tail to the right length to use as a gauge. When straightening a wheel, look at how the spokes come in groups of 4. Tighten the two that pull the way you want it to go, 1/2 turn at a time, max. Keep going around the wheel over and over, and if needed, loosen the opposite two spokes if you must. Loosening a spoke is generally done only if you need to pull that thing over a lot, meaning the rim is actually bent.

dogman dan said:
Yeah, learning to tune your own wheel will be worth it.

:bigthumb:

Never felt better than when I first laced and trued a wheel (~2 weeks ago).
Now I know I don't need anyone to make wheel decently true, and won't have the kind of remarks you did.

Been going to my lbs for the twenty or so years they've been open. Don't need them for many repairs, but when I do, the service is impeccable whether "e" or not.

I was given this treatment in Portland Ore. of all places back in 2010/2011 when ebikes were just barely catching on there. Got tired of the treatment, and learned how to fix basically everything myself. The only time i come in to a bike shop is to get a wheel spoked or buy a part now.

Bike discrimination is stupid and petty, and i will walk out the door at any hint of it and never come back. There's a lot of businesses on my shit list. It hurts them more than it hurts me, to have to ride a few miles away to hand their competitor money..

PlanetDad said:
neptronix said:
I was given this treatment in Portland Ore. of all places back in 2010/2011

Must be a Oregon thing :p
I don't think so.
Back up north the big shop wasn't that interested in Ebikes. Kinda cold it you brought them up. Buying a pedal bike from them was ok as long as they didn't know it was a donor.

Now living down south, I don't even know where there is a bike shop yet, it's only been a year. Sooner our later I'll find one.

Dan

PlanetDad said:
Must be a Oregon thing :p

And a Colorado thing, and a California thing, and a Utah thing, and....

I've built about 15 electric bikes in my lifetime, and also lived in 4 different states. Some bikes had big motors, some with tiny geared motors... doesn't seem to matter what i bring in, or for what. As a courtesy, i even remove the battery from the system. If the rear wheel needs truing, i take it out of the bike for them. Also doesn't seem to matter.

At the time, i was starting to suffer of knee arthritis and heart issues... ebiking was my only physical activity because it was the one thing that didn't hurt, so i found the snide comments really insulting.

These days, i have one LBS i go to, which is quite a distance from my house. Everything else gets ordered on amazon or i wrench on it myself. I've noticed that the LBSes now sell tons of electric bikes these days. Maybe they later realized that they didn't want to turn out like Eastman Kodak.. but some of them still look down on faster custom bikes.. so my sanctions program still stands :lol:

Had a few factory built ebikes in the early days, 2 Stingray E-choppers and a A2B Metro. Did all the maintenance myself since it was mostly tire/tube swaps.

Fast forward a few years, I decide to build clone of the B52 Stealth. Notice a LBS while taking a detour one day. Since I'm still waiting for parts from China, I stop in and ask the techs if they can true up my wheels since I'm gonna use motorcycle rims and spokes laced to a DH bike hub.

Tech says something like, the boss doesn't like us to work on electrics. I ask can you find out. A few minutes later he comes back and say it's gonna be double the usual rate and no guarantees it will stay true, the wires wont get damaged, ect... The techs don't really care but Bossman doesn't like ebikes, thinks they are for fat cheaters, even though they have a few pricey Shimano ebikes in the showroom.

Even his double rate was cheaper than the motorcycle shops I had called previously. So I say fuggit, I'll stop by when I'm ready. A few weeks later, I come back when my wheels already laced and mostly trued. Just need to check and snug things up. I walk in with just the front 18x2 wheel, set it on the counter and wave to the guy I talked to last time. He's surprised to see me back despite the double rate quote. He calls the Bossman over to do the paperwork. He starts in again about the double rate... I nod and fill out a work order and head back out to the car and grab the almost 40lb QS205 with a 18x3 rim, set it on the counter.

He about loses his shit. Apparently he's never seen anything like this before and starts trying to back out. I ask his tech if he can true it, tech nods yes. Look at the Bossman, he starts saying the tech is gonna need a special wrench, before he can even finish, I reach in my pocket and toss the tech a motorcycle sized spoke wrench. Say, Keep it, I'll be back with more of these motors. Boss asks how fast does this go. I say 50 to 60ish, that's why I want it trued by a professional, can't afford to have a tiny wobble. He starts in on how that's not safe, and where am using this, blah blahblah and how he can't be liable. We spend the next 20 mins having a mini debate (to the delight of his employees, I might add). Ending with him ultimately and quite begrudgingly deciding to not turn away my double rate and do the job. Get a call towards the end of the day, pay my bill and walk out happy with some straight AF wheels.

From my experience, some of the LBS workers are cool with whatever you ride, as long as you ride. Others are snobby elitists who only care if you pedal or ride some specific style of bike exactly like them. It's the same in the motorcycle community. I just don't get why you would let this get in the way of profits.

unsupportive shops exist

thankfully fewer every year

their loss ebikes gain

2WheelsMovesTheSoul said:
Others are snobby elitists who only care if you pedal or ride some specific style of bike exactly like them. It's the same in the motorcycle community. I just don't get why you would let this get in the way of profits.

Yah, all the bikers wave to each other except some of the MC guys. It's changed a bit with the baby boomers buying Harley's. Same goes for boats, the sailors are cordial with the motor heads but you know, they aren't real sailors.

The infighting isn't just towards ebikes at shops either. If you have a LBS that deals mostly with mountain bikes the leg shavers get the cold shoulder. And vice versa.

The recumbent guys get it from everyone. But they're all weirdos. :mrgreen:

40lbs QS motor wheel... :lol: :lol: :lol: holy shit.. amazing that the truing stand survived... would only be better if it didn't :mrgreen:

From my experience, some of the LBS workers are cool with whatever you ride, as long as you ride. Others are snobby elitists who only care if you pedal or ride some specific style of bike exactly like them. It's the same in the motorcycle community. I just don't get why you would let this get in the way of profits.

Sounds like some religious beliefs got in the way. At least you got your cake baked.. :lol:
Tribalism is so funny sometimes

furcifer said:
The recumbent guys get it from everyone. But they're all weirdos. :mrgreen:

I'm one of those weirdos now. The only bike store that's familiar with recumbents is 60 miles away. Good thing i learned how to wrench on things from harboring a resentment! :mrgreen:

On the other hand, the big yellow semi recumbent gets a lot of stares and thumbs up from random people in the city, so i think people who aren't brainwashed about what position you MUST ride a bike in get it!

Its defiantly an elitist thing. Daily a dozen or so ride by house on their 4, 5, 6, thousand dollar bikes, and give me a look of just utter discuss for my 1k 45mph bike.

Maybe it's because I dont wear spandex :lol:

Well, I can understand liability concerns for high powered e-bikes and components designed more for motorcycles than bicycles. It's a sue-happy world out there.

Back