Battery Pack vs 2-AAA Batts

sunnyskyez

10 µW
Im new to this site, Thank you for having me.

Im in a battery confusion and Im hoping someone can help me out. Im looking for a new cordless landline. Its between AT&T who use ‘battery packs’ and Panasonic who use 2-AAA-batteries. My present 10+ year old phone is a Uniden, that uses a ‘battery pack’ its also 10+ years old, I have not had to replace that battery pack to date. I can talk for 2+ hours, without having to recharge it. Ive forgotten to replace it in it’s charger for a couple of days and I can still pick it up and talk for 2+ hours.

I lean towards the AT&T because of the battery pack and the HD Audio. Others who love the Panasonic’s have told me that their batteries last for 5 years. But I just can’t get it out of my head that the battery pack’s are a bit better, i.e.: mine is 10+ years old. I do know that things change over the years, but I hoping batteries have only gotten better.

So in simple terms can someone explain the difference between the battery pack and 2-AAA batts?
I know the battery packs are basically 2-AA or 2-AAA batteries put together and have 2 little wires that have a plug at the end which plugs directly into the phone, does this make some kind of difference?

Thanks so much for anything you can tell me.

sunnyskyez said:
Im new to this site, Thank you for having me.

Im in a battery confusion and Im hoping someone can help me out. Im looking for a new cordless landline. Its between AT&T who use ‘battery packs’ and Panasonic who use 2-AAA-batteries. My present 10+ year old phone is a Uniden, that uses a ‘battery pack’ its also 10+ years old, I have not had to replace that battery pack to date. I can talk for 2+ hours, without having to recharge it. Ive forgotten to replace it in it’s charger for a couple of days and I can still pick it up and talk for 2+ hours.

I lean towards the AT&T because of the battery pack and the HD Audio. Others who love the Panasonic’s have told me that their batteries last for 5 years. But I just can’t get it out of my head that the battery pack’s are a bit better, i.e.: mine is 10+ years old. I do know that things change over the years, but I hoping batteries have only gotten better.

So in simple terms can someone explain the difference between the battery pack and 2-AAA batts?
I know the battery packs are basically 2-AA or 2-AAA batteries put together and have 2 little wires that have a plug at the end which plugs directly into the phone, does this make some kind of difference?

Thanks so much for anything you can tell me.
I'm sure 2 AAA won't let you talk for 5 years. Yes you might get more than 2 hours talk but no way 5 years. AAAs are not that powerful. I'd favor the battery pack type. I'm sure others will say different.

Welcome to ES.

Dan

AA and AAA is just sizing because its the same voltage, but difference Ah and Wh (how long you can talk on that phone)
AAA's are smaller, hence lower Ah and Wh capacity, means you talk for less, also they are Alkaline so again lasts not as long.

I'd go with a rechargeable Lithium battery pack in the phone if available.

I've use Vtech for 19 yrs now and have had no issues with its rechargeable process.

https://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_battery

My old Sony, bought back in 1993, had it's first battery replacement about 2009. That battery kept working with 2+ hours talk time until I retired the phone in 2017. NiCad last forever.

That said, some battery packs are hard to find a few years after the product is discontinued. AAA batteries have been around since 1954. if you still have that phone in 25 years, you'll more likely be able to get new AAA than the other phone's battery pack.

To clarify..
The “pack” battery is a rechargeable battery that automatically recharges when the phone is on the holder.
Usually those are NimH type cells, though some modern phones may now use lithium.
I cannot tell from what you have posted , what those AAA batteries in the panasonic are, but they are most likely rechargeable NimH cells also ( yes the same , just individual cells) and also recharge when on the holder.
BUT.. if they are “primary cells” ( Energiser etc) then that is a different game.

THANKS for all your replies.

I do agree with all of your advice, so after a week long-hours of grueling search of phones from all camps, Ive narrowed it down to 2- AT&T models, they all have battery packs. I know the single batts are easier to get buuuut, I just have it in my head that plugging the battery directly into the handset makes a difference in the battery life. OR maybe Im just really partial to them because of my 10+ year pack. :mrgreen:

Thanks again.

Hillhater said:
To clarify..
The “pack” battery is a rechargeable battery that automatically recharges when the phone is on the holder.
Usually those are NimH type cells, though some modern phones may now use lithium.
I cannot tell from what you have posted , what those AAA batteries in the panasonic are, but they are most likely rechargeable NimH cells also ( yes the same , just individual cells) and also recharge when on the holder.
BUT.. if they are “primary cells” ( Energiser etc) then that is a different game.

Hi Hillhater,
The Panasonic batts are HHR-4DPA/2B rechargeables. What do you mean when you say primary cells?

Drunkskunk said:
My old Sony, bought back in 1993, had it's first battery replacement about 2009. That battery kept working with 2+ hours talk time until I retired the phone in 2017. NiCad last forever.

That said, some battery packs are hard to find a few years after the product is discontinued. AAA batteries have been around since 1954. if you still have that phone in 25 years, you'll more likely be able to get new AAA than the other phone's battery pack.

Hello Drunkskunk,
Yes thats what Im talking about 1993- 2009 Ni-Cads were/are fantastic in the long life. Others who have never used them just dont understand that. All they get is that the single rechargeables are easily obtained and cheap. I go for loooooong life, long talk time. I get that about hard to find packs, but I cant still find batts for my 10+ yr old phone. However that doesnt tell me how long they have been on the shelf. Of course none of them can tell ya that.

markz said:
AA and AAA is just sizing because its the same voltage, but difference Ah and Wh (how long you can talk on that phone)
AAA's are smaller, hence lower Ah and Wh capacity, means you talk for less, also they are Alkaline so again lasts not as long.

I'd go with a rechargeable Lithium battery pack in the phone if available.

I've use Vtech for 19 yrs now and have had no issues with its rechargeable process.

Hi markz,
What phones would use lithium? None of the companies I researched show lithium's. Can you use a lithium pack in place of a Ni-Mh pack?

Back