Here is the hurricane chart i watch; all 16 predictions

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Here is the hurricane chart i watch; all 16 predictions

Post by Matt Gruber » Sep 01 2019 2:21pm

Only 2 or 3 have the eye pointed at my house :D :D
I've learned predictions don't work at all. until 2 days away. then i make my decision. Tomorrow, Monday, unless it slows down or speeds up :twisted:
https://www.sfwmd.gov/weather-radar/hur ... odel-plots
Converted window AC's to central system.
Reversed insulin resistance and heart disease by limiting calories from fat to 7%. Thanks to Dr Mcdougall, Dr Esselstyn, Dr Barnard, Dr Greger, Dr Ornish and Nathan Pritikin. (all on YouTube)
Favorite foods: corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, broccoli, lintels, black beans, mushrooms, cherries, mangoes, bananas, pineapples, blueberries, strawberries, pasta, home made rolls and no-fat chips.

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Here is the hurricane chart i watch; all 16 predictions

Post by Matt Gruber » Sep 01 2019 3:20pm

1st time in 30 years i filled up the tank. i could only go 50 miles on 1/4 so i caved to the pressure :lol:
Dorian has sustained wind of 185 MPH. :shock: Even if it drops to only, say, 150, i have to be prepared to abandon ship. I live 800 feet to the ocean. 7 feet above sea level. There are numerous problems with leaving, but all better than drowning :roll: Hopefully tomorrow it will head out to sea a bit.
Reversed insulin resistance and heart disease by limiting calories from fat to 7%. Thanks to Dr Mcdougall, Dr Esselstyn, Dr Barnard, Dr Greger, Dr Ornish and Nathan Pritikin. (all on YouTube)
Favorite foods: corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, broccoli, lintels, black beans, mushrooms, cherries, mangoes, bananas, pineapples, blueberries, strawberries, pasta, home made rolls and no-fat chips.

DAND214   1 GW

1 GW
Location: About 1200 miles south of Chicago, in sunny/rainny Port Richey, Florida!

Post by DAND214 » Sep 01 2019 5:07pm

Good luck Matt. I live on the other side of the state and hoping the same thing, that it goes north or out to sea. As much hype on the west coast must be nothing compared to what you got.

Dan

Harold in CR   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Harold in CR » Sep 01 2019 6:25pm

My Son and 1 daughter are in Vero Beach/Sebastian area, about 2.5 miles from the ocean, staring at a direct hit. This could beat what Andrew did if it doesn't turn north, soon. :roll: :roll:
Thanks to Justin, the forum is open source and NON-commercialized.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Sep 01 2019 7:51pm

They haven't been all that accurate with the predictions on this one. If you live at 7 feet above sea level, you need to get to higher ground for sure. Hopefully it veers back out into the ocean where it will do less damage.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Matt Gruber » Sep 02 2019 7:00am

A little good news :bolt: eye winds expected to be 125 (my house is built for 130) Eye not expected to hit inland, my winds expected to be only 68 mph 8) I don't panic for 68 :thumb:
Surge expected to be 7-9'. (I'm actually 10+' above sea level, i'm in the high section of the street, the west end would be flooded at 10' rise, but not me) (i looked up the elevations)
I've seen this movie a dozen times over the past 30 years, and it always ends the same. (scares you :shock: and then the eye stays out to sea) YAWN :lol:
In fact, there has never been any standing water from a hurricane at my house 8) But T-storms often flood the street, so it looks like it is low land, but it is really a drainage delay) But i did dig a ditch around the west side of my house, to give that west water a path out, just in case 8)
Thanks for the comments :bigthumb:

e-beach   1 GW

1 GW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Post by e-beach » Sep 02 2019 7:19pm

This gif is update-able. Clearly visible at the moment is the high pressure system descending out of the southern states that is stopping a westward movement of Dorian. I appears as a dark mass.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/FLOATE ... 0x1000.gif

:D :bolt:
Favorite Quotes:
"This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." Chris Erskine
"At a certain point the entropy wins." Maria Helena Braga

Current Build: ProFlex 757 Expert full suspension. Yescomusa 36v 800w Rear DD, upgraded 10AWG solid core through axle phase wires. 15ah Headway, 1000+ cycles, 80% DOD 30A Tronsung controller.

Past: Trek 4500 Yescomusa 36v 800w front DD.
Liahona, Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front DD.
1992 Trek 800, Yescomusa 800w 36v front DD.

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Matt Gruber » Sep 03 2019 7:37am

e-beach wrote:
Sep 02 2019 7:19pm
This gif is update-able. Clearly visible at the moment is the high pressure system descending out of the southern states that is stopping a westward movement of Dorian. I appears as a dark mass.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/FLOATE ... 0x1000.gif

Thanks! very cool.
Things are boring at the moment, waiting for it to get past FL.
The reason i don't go to a gym, is there is plenty to do right at home :lol:
Yesterday i dug a ditch and put plywood over the east windows.
Soon i'll be clearing tons of debris. Even with the eye offshore a steady 60-70mph wind with gusts to maybe 100 can do a lot of tree damage. Last time a 107 mph gust blew off some soffit, that i fixed myself. more cross fit exercise, hunting down the soffit and putting it back on :lol:

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Matt Gruber » Sep 03 2019 4:37pm

eye is down to 110 mph.
for me, now the prediction is a steady 47 mph at 4 am. DECLINING after that. :bigthumb:
gusts could be a lot higher, but sounds great to me :bolt:
maybe the power will stay on :?: that would be a first :lol:

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Sep 04 2019 7:57am

Looks like it won't be too bad where you are now. Lots of rain and some storm surge.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Matt Gruber » Sep 04 2019 10:26am

Lots of WIND :bolt: and rain on/off. power off/on numerous times :roll:
a couple hours of debris to clean up; only a half ton :)
Tomato plants all OK. I put concrete blocks around them 8)
workshop window cracked :bolt:

DAND214   1 GW

1 GW
Location: About 1200 miles south of Chicago, in sunny/rainny Port Richey, Florida!

Post by DAND214 » Sep 04 2019 5:24pm

Good to hear it was less than expected.

Dan

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Sep 05 2019 9:15pm

What kind of insurance premiums are people paying monthly, and whats the deductable on hurricane insurance?
Doesnt seem worth it to buy any building that isnt made of concrete!

e-beach   1 GW

1 GW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Post by e-beach » Sep 06 2019 11:36am

markz wrote:
Sep 05 2019 9:15pm
......Doesnt seem worth it to buy any building that isnt made of concrete!
The Kettle House: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ket ... -galveston

Favorite Quotes:
"This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." Chris Erskine
"At a certain point the entropy wins." Maria Helena Braga

Current Build: ProFlex 757 Expert full suspension. Yescomusa 36v 800w Rear DD, upgraded 10AWG solid core through axle phase wires. 15ah Headway, 1000+ cycles, 80% DOD 30A Tronsung controller.

Past: Trek 4500 Yescomusa 36v 800w front DD.
Liahona, Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front DD.
1992 Trek 800, Yescomusa 800w 36v front DD.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Sep 06 2019 2:38pm

I wonder if its waterproof from the storm surge and flooding.

e-beach wrote:
Sep 06 2019 11:36am
markz wrote:
Sep 05 2019 9:15pm
......Doesnt seem worth it to buy any building that isnt made of concrete!
The Kettle House: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ket ... -galveston