Here is the hurricane chart i watch; all 16 predictions

Only 2 or 3 have the eye pointed at my house :D :D
I've learned predictions don't work at all. until 2 days away. then i make my decision. Tomorrow, Monday, unless it slows down or speeds up :twisted:
https://www.sfwmd.gov/weather-radar/hurricane-model-plots

1st time in 30 years i filled up the tank. i could only go 50 miles on 1/4 so i caved to the pressure :lol:
Dorian has sustained wind of 185 MPH. :shock: Even if it drops to only, say, 150, i have to be prepared to abandon ship. I live 800 feet to the ocean. 7 feet above sea level. There are numerous problems with leaving, but all better than drowning :roll: Hopefully tomorrow it will head out to sea a bit.

My Son and 1 daughter are in Vero Beach/Sebastian area, about 2.5 miles from the ocean, staring at a direct hit. This could beat what Andrew did if it doesn't turn north, soon. :roll: :roll:

They haven't been all that accurate with the predictions on this one. If you live at 7 feet above sea level, you need to get to higher ground for sure. Hopefully it veers back out into the ocean where it will do less damage.

A little good news :bolt: eye winds expected to be 125 (my house is built for 130) Eye not expected to hit inland, my winds expected to be only 68 mph 8) I don't panic for 68 :thumb:
Surge expected to be 7-9'. (I'm actually 10+' above sea level, i'm in the high section of the street, the west end would be flooded at 10' rise, but not me) (i looked up the elevations)
I've seen this movie a dozen times over the past 30 years, and it always ends the same. (scares you :shock: and then the eye stays out to sea) YAWN :lol:
In fact, there has never been any standing water from a hurricane at my house 8) But T-storms often flood the street, so it looks like it is low land, but it is really a drainage delay) But i did dig a ditch around the west side of my house, to give that west water a path out, just in case 8)
Thanks for the comments :bigthumb:

e-beach said:
This gif is update-able. Clearly visible at the moment is the high pressure system descending out of the southern states that is stopping a westward movement of Dorian. I appears as a dark mass.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/FLOATER/data/AL052019/08/GOES16-AL052019-08-1000x1000.gif

:D :bolt:

Thanks! very cool.
Things are boring at the moment, waiting for it to get past FL.
The reason i don't go to a gym, is there is plenty to do right at home :lol:
Yesterday i dug a ditch and put plywood over the east windows.
Soon i'll be clearing tons of debris. Even with the eye offshore a steady 60-70mph wind with gusts to maybe 100 can do a lot of tree damage. Last time a 107 mph gust blew off some soffit, that i fixed myself. more cross fit exercise, hunting down the soffit and putting it back on :lol:

eye is down to 110 mph.
for me, now the prediction is a steady 47 mph at 4 am. DECLINING after that. :bigthumb:
gusts could be a lot higher, but sounds great to me :bolt:
maybe the power will stay on :?: that would be a first :lol:

Lots of WIND :bolt: and rain on/off. power off/on numerous times :roll:
a couple hours of debris to clean up; only a half ton :)
Tomato plants all OK. I put concrete blocks around them 8)
workshop window cracked :bolt:

What kind of insurance premiums are people paying monthly, and whats the deductable on hurricane insurance?
Doesnt seem worth it to buy any building that isnt made of concrete!

Back