White putty used in battery packs?

wrybread

10 mW
I really like the white putty commonly used in Lithium battery packs. Does anyone happen to know what that is?

In this pic for example:

file.php

Really handy for sealing up wiring holes in a battery pack. I currently use hot glue but it's a bit stiff compared to that putty.

Not sure if it's full fledged silly putty or just a component of it, but that is probably silicon dioxide. They use it inside and out with lithium batteries.

I think it's just white silicone or sikaflex - a waterproof sealant?

Yup, and throw in whatever waste products and toxins.
I wondered about a generic throttle I bought, as I opened up the cable jacket, a white powdery substance was in the jacketing, surrounding the other wires.

flat tire said:
The cheapest silicon the factory could find on the market.

The putty I see on battery packs doesn't appear to be silicone. It doesn't have that waxy silicone texture.

Using silicone strikes me as a bad idea because nothing sticks to silicone including silicone. Once you use it you can't use an adhesive anymore.

Silicone
Sylastic

Cheapest of whatever they can get their hands on.

Out of date product
Returned product that doesnt meet any specifications
A bad mix on the production line
Mystery product
An attempt at ripping off 3M's product(s)
After all 'tis what their known for. Outstanding citizenshipery. Towing the line.
Dont get me wrong now, lots of top quality, top of the line merchandise comes from "there" too. Lets just say, over the sea's, because its not one country in particular, but hey even other countries too. Even first worlders try to counterfeit, rip ppl off. Could have some basement dweller soldering up a pack, using bathroom silicone and selling on Fleabay.

markz said:
I wondered about a generic throttle I bought, as I opened up the cable jacket, a white powdery substance was in the jacketing, surrounding the other wires.

It could be talc (commonly used for baby powder).

The white stuff I've seen is some kind of cheap silicone. OK as a sealant. The cheap stuff they use seems to peel off easier than the typical RTV silicone I have.

wrybread said:
The putty I see on battery packs doesn't appear to be silicone. It doesn't have that waxy silicone texture.

Using silicone strikes me as a bad idea because nothing sticks to silicone including silicone.

Silicone to silicone is bordering on superglue. There are silicone adhesives.

spinningmagnets said:
Dow Silastic, or a cheap copy of that.

It's a "silicone" that stays "elastic" after it dries.

Dow Silastic, or more appropriately polysiloxane, = Silly Putty. The stuff was invented as a substitute for natural rubber. Contrary to myth Dow had patented and found some limited use for it before a toy store owner said he could sell all kinds of it in his store if he could get it packaged right.

Beware that electronics grade silicone is not the same as bathroom silicone, which evolves acetic acid as it cures (acetoxy) which corrodes metal. Instead it is a more expensive form that evolves only alcohol as it cures (alkoxy). It's also usually low rather than high modulous, which makes it more stretchy and rubbery (but weaker). For electronics it's often referred to as "RTV" sealant. It's also good for adding reinforcement to tall or heavy components, like capacitors, on circuit boards to help prevent them breaking off under vibration or rough handling.

The white powder in cable jackets is indeed talc.

Back