Atmega16 firmware dumping. Win EXE editing etc

NeilP

1 GW
Ok, so not an e-bike question, but this is the only forum I know of, and have history on, and that I know there are people here with potential knowledge to answer.

I will make this a long post, by giving the back story first, rather than dive in with my question.

This is actually related to a Harley Davidson aftermarket ignition.

The manufactur were initially helpful, or did their best to appear to be helpful without actually being much help.

The ignition unit is Daytona Twin Tec TC88A. Available in Race and California ARB approved Ex variants. Both hardware identical but different firmware. The original firmware dev. died
The instructions for the units used to come with a link to download updated firmware, but now due to a court action and death of developer firmware no longer available.

As I am not in USA, I can use the Race version.
But I wanted to try the Ex version as it has more Ignition Spark Advance Curve settings at lower throttle positions. Race is only concerned with about 30% to WOT. Most of my town riding is below 30% and 16 inch manifold pressure.

The manufacture supplied me with Mega Boot firmware tool, and the two files (hex and eep) to flash my unit to Ex.
All good ...except they won't supply me the firmware files to flash it back to Race. ☹️

So I gave up and bought a second Ex unit to play with.

But it still bugs me I can't get a copy of the old (previously available ) Race firmware files. Even tried the "Wayback Archive " internet archive site..but no .

The heart of the unit is an Atmega16, and I do not know if any "lock bits" have been set....but I do believe the OEM BOOT LOADER tool can dump the old firmware from the device. But there is something in the help file that says it is greyed out in "in the field" released versions of the program.

http://paisnel.co.uk/TC88A/MegaBoot.zip

I have a copy of AVRDude which should be usable to read write to Atmega16... but I get a pthreads error on Win10, and not yet found how to instal the pthreads package on to Windows.
AVRDude also seems to need to know the "programmer type" which I think refers to the hardware, which I have not yet Sussed out. It is the Daytona USB-Inf device, comprising two chips which I picture below.
It is SINGLE WIRE RS-232, that is as much as I know. The hardware device is USB in to a two wire output, being DATA and Gnd. There is no TX,RX, RTS ETC.

I have done a reflash with the software so confirmed that works

So, anyone in any way be able to help?

Like to try and :
Edit the Win Exe file in the link above to enable FLASH dump from the ATMega
Possibly edit the firmware file to create my own that combines best of both RACE & EX

Settings used to allow comes between the USB INTERFACE and the TC88A

Yes, POSIX threads

I had the pthreads for w32 thingy , but not managed to instal /get it working yet... think other dependencies or something

Back