Giant Trance - compatible with conversion?

drifta303

10 mW
Hey all,

I currently have a 1000w 48v kit on my old 26" hard tail bike. I'm looking to upgrade to a 2013-2015 giant trance and try my hub motor at first, but then probably eventually install a BBSHD. The thing is, it looks like the rear dropouts are not going to be easy to fit my standard 1000w hub motor, due to a different shape (and possibly width). What do people do in this situation these days? is there an adapter for these modern bikes that don't have old school dropouts?

also, if i wanted to fit a bbshd mid drive, the bottom bracket on these is apparently 87mm or something non standard like that, without screw in fittings.. so is there a simple solution there?

Am I crazy for wanting to do a conversion on such a new bike? are there better full suspension candidates i should be looking at in Australia for a reasonable price?

Cheers

Paul

drifta303 said:
What do people do in this situation these days? is there an adapter for these modern bikes that don't have old school dropouts?
you can make torque plates that adapt both shape/size and width. see the torque arm picture thread for various examples.

also, if i wanted to fit a bbshd mid drive, the bottom bracket on these is apparently 87mm or something non standard like that, without screw in fittings.. so is there a simple solution there?
you might check the other trance threads to see if any have done the conversion you want. i don't know if it's possible or not.

s1600_2013_Trance_X_29er_0.jpg

Post a photo, or link, helps with specific questions about bikes.

Nothing on that bike makes a rear motor impossible, but it would go easier with a conversion of the rear shifter to 7 speed, so you can use a generic freewheel found on most rear motor kits. The rear dropouts on the picture I looked at just require a couple rear torque arms, such as you get from grin. Or make a close enough copy of them yourself, as I did. Standard file the dropout deeper, placing the center of axle of a 14 mm motor the same as the original axle center. so 2 mm for DD motors, or 1mm deeper for most geared rear hub motors.

But really, you'd be better off I think, with this type of better quality mtb, to mid drive it. Unless you want a motorcycle with pedals. But,, make sure its BB is compatible before you buy one.

Is the trance 26 wheels? Not much room for batteries in the triangle.

Back