Best power to weight hub motor..?

Hello, I am currently retrofitting my Magic Pie 5 motors to make a drone, and I am thinking that my motors are too heavy and that there is a better motor for the job. Does anyone know of the best power to weight ratio hub motor on the market for a decent price? Would love to hear any feedback on the best motor to use. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Greenmountainski

greenmountainski said:
Hello, I am currently retrofitting my Magic Pie 5 motors to make a drone, and I am thinking that my motors are too heavy and that there is a better motor for the job. Does anyone know of the best power to weight ratio hub motor on the market for a decent price? Would love to hear any feedback on the best motor to use. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Greenmountainski

Without knowing anything about the drone in terms of physical size, # of rotors, weight, payload and other factors, then there is not much any of us can say. A Magic Pie 5 motor is heavy and large, so depending on the drone itself, you could look at larger RC motors, the biggest and most powerful being the Astro which is powerful but expensive and the ESC Controller is very special and expensive too. Many have fried ESC's with Astro's.

Drone? As in flying drone?

That's going to need very high RPM for the props, so you don't want hubmotors, which are all designed for low RPM, you want stuff like the RC motors designed for that purpose.

You will need to give complete details on the proposed project design, and it's intended use/etc., to get good useful specific recommendations.

T-Motor is who you are looking for. http://uav-en.tmotor.com
I am not currently sponsored by T-Motor, nor use their products at tier 1 MultiGP races. Although they likely make the highest precision propulsion units for quadcopter of virtually any size.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm just looking for the best hub motor on the market for power and weight, not including the rest of the application. I would give my detailed drawings but I don't want to disclose to much information. This isn't your typical quadcopter......

"The Best" is a generalization because it depends on your torque requirements, you wattage, size is important too.

There are numerous "The Best" power to weight hub motors.

What about efficiency?

Sure I understand. I am trying to reverse engineer a design for the entire craft that I already engineered. My mechanical engineer who I am paying says we need to start at the motors which are already on the market, rather than build a fuselage first and then find the right motors after. He thinks building motors is out of the question, because of technical difficulties.

So you want a hub motor or RC motor, or you just want the "Best Motor for power to weight"
If its just any motor, take a peek under the petticoats of Astro Motor.
If its a hub motor, then perhaps the best would be John in CR's HUBMONSTER, or could be MXUS 5000W or their 3000W, or QS' lineup of motors, if those are too heavy then the efficient Leafmotor and Leafbike hub motors with their 1500W may suffice. Then there are the motorcycle motors and car motors, so look at Goldenmotor.com or Cyclone-TW as they have lineups for mid drive motors that are high power. So your looking at a range of 1500W very efficient hub, to 5000W hub to 10kw+ in mid drive motors.

edit - forgot to mention adding additives like Ferrofluid to motors can help maintain higher power for longer periods of time. Also, adding vent holes. The Astro Motors do run very hot.

Thanks for that response.

It has to be a hub motor. It actually doesn't matter which wattage so long as its the lightest for how much power it can put out without overheating or damaging. I have this problem now where I am trying to put a parts diagram together using a Magic Pie 5 20 inch, but it has a lot of extra weight with the alloy spokes and rim, which I don't need anyway. I can engineer the fuselage around whatever motor I find that is lightest for its power output. I just want to run reliably, cool and efficient. I'm looking at having a rotor (2 propellers) diameter in the 6-12 foot range. If I had it my way, I would build the motors to my specs, but I'm trying to put a parts diagram together for a prototype. I've been told by the engineer, you can spend 100 thousand dollars having just one prototype made, or you can source all the parts that are in the market and make your first prototype a hell of a lot cheaper.

Thanks again for the info.

Since you won't tell us anything about the specifics, we can only guess and speculate.

The problem with your question is that it's answer will depend on the speed and load, etc, you're driving the motor at, because the amount of power you get out of a motor depends partly on those, and some motors are better at some speed ranges than others, and some are better at some loads than others, and so on.

So any answer we give you will only apply to the originally-designed usage range for the motor in question, not to the application you're using it in. It might be that there is a much better choice for your application, if only we knew what it was....

greenmountainski said:
It has to be a hub motor.
If you're intending to put the props on the hubmotor directly, you should keep in mind that typical hubmotors are not designed to spin fast enough to do what you want. A few hundred RPM maximum, usually 200-300rpm.

I did a quick google, and see that small prop-driven-aircraft typically use 2600-3000rpm. I don't know what a helicopter main rotor uses, that was inconsistent. If it's a lot lower, in the hubmotor range, then you could probably use one, but:

The tolerances for hubmotors can be very large, and runouts on axles/etc (and thus bearing mounts, rotors, etc.), don't really matter on a wheel, but they will matter a great deal for high RPM with a prop load, and may matter with a lower RPM and a much higher prop load.

It's possible that they are not even mechanically strong enough, depending on how you intend to mount the props to them. The only feasible way I can imagine would be to make a complete collar that fastens around the rotor, with it's own shaft for handling the load (at least on the "top" end) that is just spun by the motor and does not depend at all on the integrity of the motor to prevent problems, or the motor's own bearings. If you used a "pipe" axle in the motor, in place of the original, it could pass all the wiring thru that, so you could then put another pipe around it, to place the prop bearings on, which will need to be thrust bearings and rotational bearings (unlike the hubmotor's, which only need to be rotational bearings).

The power losses in the motors from running them at far far higher than their design RPM is likely to make them pretty inefficient, and require some form of active cooling.

You'll also need to use a massively higher voltage than they were meant for to get that RPM, and have a controller capable of that kind of ERPM. I expect that's going to be fairly expensive, if one even exists.

I also suspect you're going to be spending more money on re-machining the parts, replacing bearings, etc., to be able to do what you're after, enough to have instead designed it to use a motor that was intended for driving propellers.

If you're driving the propshaft via an RPM-multiplying transmission of some kind, it's going to add more weight in addition to the heavy hubmotors.

greenmountainski said:
My mechanical engineer who I am paying says we need to start at the motors which are already on the market, rather than build a fuselage first and then find the right motors after.
That's probably the best way.

But you're starting with the wrong type of motor for a prop application, whether high or low RPM.

He thinks building motors is out of the question, because of technical difficulties.
That's probably true, unless you either really know how to make them already, or can use simulation software to get you close, then build prototypes until you get to where you want to be.

by markz » Apr 27 2020 5:29pm
So you want a hub motor or RC motor, or you just want the "Best Motor for power to weight"
If its just any motor, take a peek under the petticoats of Astro Motor.

He nailed it Astro Motors are mostly for flying. Most power for weight at high rpm.

They have a 15 hp version.

I kind of doubt that a hub motor will take a constant high amp load for very long,sounds dangerous for such a large drone🤔

Two 6 - 12 foot propellers? How fast are they turning? Looking like a rc style outrunner would be it as mentioned before if your not needing to spoke or tire it for wheel use. Freewheeling crank set will allow you to direct mount a second sprocket if your planning on adding human power and using chain drive for the props. They are super light for the torque-power and many KV's to select from.

I hope there is video and documentation of the various test stages.

I would like to see what kind of system would actually work using a hubmotor for this purpose, and how much re-engineering of the motor will be needed to do it.

Flying ebike? :shock:
Clipboard014.jpg

Yeah I'll keep you guys posted once I get everything secured. Here is a link for what my competitor is doing.

https://www.mdpi.com/2079-9292/8/12/1428/htm

speedmd said:
Two 6 - 12 foot propellers? How fast are they turning? Looking like a rc style outrunner would be it as mentioned before if your not needing to spoke or tire it for wheel use. Freewheeling crank set will allow you to direct mount a second sprocket if your planning on adding human power and using chain drive for the props. They are super light for the torque-power and many KV's to select from.

Interesting idea, combination ultralight with hub motor and sprocket for extra pedal power at take off....

I posted some of the motor choices in another thread. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68950
The 20KW would make a good flying motor IMO. Listed at 5KG It looks to be able to run on reasonable low voltage.
238-50b.jpg

With a freewheeling crank, you could mount a prop drive sprocket direct to the face of the motor and space off from the Human Powered (HP) sprocket far enough that both separate chaine lines will not rub. Lots of discussion - pitfalls on freewheeling cranks on the early GNG 450 watt kit threads. That way, you would pedal and rotate the works (motor and props) and when the motor takes over, the pedals can stop rotating. Both chain lines would run full time with the motor and at what ever rpm you need.

Hows it controlled? Leaf motor cannot change speed very fast comparatively. Collective pitch coaxial? Gyros on a hub motor sound like a silly idea, but bet o luck to you.

There are rc motors all day.. Scorp 50 series motors.. Kde direct 700Xf? Xnovva? Those mentioned above? ^^^^ that are 10Kw/Kg, and the Leaf motor you are not even looking at 0.5 Kw/Kg....

Back