Tips on using lifestyle to improve immune response and survive any virus

Fantastic video only 6 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZ3uWqKlHQ
Dr's chime in after the 74 year old lady :bigthumb:

My opinion is that you don't have to be vegan to get outstanding results :bigthumb:
Nathan Pritikin proved that you can eat up to 1-1.5# of meat a week as long as you keep the saturated fat very low. There are even Pritikin classes that teach you how to cook delicious food, and they take blood samples to prove it works without drugs. :bigthumb: Now that beef prices have inched up, it is a good time to cut back and replace some with healthy alternatives. :mrgreen:

This topic belongs in General Discussion. It is about improving immune response and staying healthy (alive).

Food and lifestyle choices are the #1 most important thing when it comes to avoiding damage from covid-19. Far more important then any doctor or hospital or vaccine or anything like that.

In the USA we have nearly 180,000 people died from covid out of 330,000,000 people. Comorbidity play a huge rule in this. Comorbidity means that you have one or more additional serious diseases in addition to whatever disease is being discussed, in this case covid-19.

Out of those only about 6% are from covid alone. The rest (94%) died with had a average of 2.6 commodities. 71% had 2 or more. Most of the people who died who did not have comorbidities were already of advanced age.

Out of healthy younger individuals the total number of people that died is probably well below 2000. Across a entire population of nearly 327 million people.

Now the majority of the commodities are going to be respiratory issues. Things like pneumonia, ARDS, and the like. Which are heavily complicated by covid, of course. But circulatory diseases play a big role... things like hypertension and heart attacks. As does obesity and diabetes. Heart and obesity-related diseases are ones that people have control over. They are mostly a result of lifestyle choices and diet.

Which means, generally speaking, most people that die from covid do not die from only covid. They have died from getting covid combined with other diseases acquired after decades of shitty diet and no exercise.

If you want to enhance your chances of survival the most important things to do are going to be to make sure to eliminate additional sugars and refined grains from your diet, eat whole foods, get exercise, get lots of sun and make sure you have lots of vitamin-D. Vitamin-D is important for healthy immune system, but most Americans run with severe deficiencies. Sugars from whole fruits and vegetables are fine since they are consumed with a great deal of dietary fiber which negates the bad effects of sugar. But juice drinks and sodas should be considered inherently poisonous.

Due to the anti-fat craze of the latter half of the 20th century low-quality low-cost highly processed factory foods have eliminated most of the fat from their products to look good on paper. However low-quality foods taste like cardboard without the fat. So in order to make things taste decent they add as much sugar as possible. Usually in the form of fructose syrup from corn, which is sweeter and cheaper then cane sugar.

It's to the point were anything labelled 'low fat' usually means large amounts of sweetener. Avoid anything labelled 'low-fat' like the plague unless the food is naturally low-fat. A example of this badness is low-fat yogurt. If you like fruit yogurt buy whole milk yogurt and mix in your own chopped up fruit, much better.

(Whole milk Greek yogurt is often the best because it contains the least amount of sugars. But you have to pay attention to the labels)

It is this hormonal response to massive fructose (and other sugars, but fructose mainly) intake that causes obesity and related diseases. It's not a issue of calories-in versus calories-out since the type of food you eat changes the way the body responds to calories. It impacts your resting metabolism, the rate that fat is produced versus consumed, and many other things that cannot be controlled directly through exercise/physical activity.

I don't think it's really critically important what diet you pick.. whether it's Paleo, Mediterranean, Keto, Vegetarianism, or whatever. The important thing is creating disciplined structure around food that eliminates highly processed food in favor of a nutritionally balanced diet.

It's possible to have a incredibly shitty diet if you are vegetarian if you eat nothing but breads and pasta. But vegetarians can have very excellent diet provided they are careful about nutrition and stick to unprocessed foods. It's possible to have a nutritionally balanced meat-based diet since meat has much higher nutritional density then plants, but eating at McDonalds every day is a death sentence even if you throw away the buns.

This is why I think that the specifics don't matter a whole lot compared to simply picking a system that eliminates processed foods.

The minimal number of carbs and sugars that is necessary for a healthy diet is 0. Very literally: ZERO. You don't need them. They only provide calories. Nothing in the body depends on them. The glucose you need can be metabolized from other types of food.

Proper nutrition from whole foods and exercise is going to protect you more then any doctor or vaccine could possibly do for you.

Dr Esselstyn proved in a scientific study that what you eat sure does matter. He REVERSED heart disease with near ZERO saturated fat diet. up to 7% fat is OK but more is risky.
My health did not improve w/vegan until i got the fat way down. corn chip and chocolate are now gone, but peanut butter remains. around 7% fat is IMPOSSIBLE for me to gain weight. Added 1 tablespoon canola oil/day past 6 mos to gain a pound or two (was too skinny) BMI 18.
I willing to accept that others function differently and need to find what works for them. So i have no argument with those that say they can eat whatever. My advice is to TRY for 10 days and see if it works or not. IMO If a person is in excellent health they can eat anything UNTIL their health declines, if ever.
Thanks for your post, sleepy :thumb: But, there was NEVER a low fat craze in the US. There was indeed a low fat marketing craze, which is entirely different. People were told to decrease fat from 42% to 30-35%, which is total nonsense. Not nearly enough of a drop. Need to get down to 7% to clear out those veins etc. Anyway those food giants made $$$$ while people still ate burgers and fries and fatty foods that clog things up.

The problem with arguing that few people with no other existing conditions are likely to die from COVID 19 is that most Americans have these preexisting conditions. That includes kids with pre-diabetes and obesity, and young adults with early cardiovascular disease. If I had a dollar for every seemingly healthy young adult who died from COVID, then I'd be bicycle shopping right now.

Leftie
Even tho i posted the suggestion that lifestyle could improve survival, i would like to see scientific proof to verify the idea that it is the food. The media likes to blame the victim :roll: it might be some other factor, that co-exists with other health problems, making it look like "if only you were eating healthy" Maybe, or maybe NOT. What if it is the VIRAL LOAD? Perhaps these people live in a house with more people? Someone comes home with cv19 and they are exposed OVER AND OVER and their immune system can't cope. Even a slim, healty person might die under these circumstances. Who knows? not me.
Best to avoid close contact w/strangers. it could be deadly.
If you enjoy life, treat yourself like a KING and eat real food, healthy food!
If you hate your life, eat crappy food, and you will surely get your wish, and have a shorter life.

Too bad they haven't linked covid19 deaths to excessive cell phone use and video game play.

We are what we eat and food plays a huge role in health, but it's not just personal choice and the processed food industry that's at fault. Western medicine plays a big role too. The treatment after the fact approach with virtually nothing going into education and preventative medicine should accept much of the blame especially big Pharma.

While a healthy lifestyle must be of benefit in this pandemic, how do you explain the much lower death rate for Covid19 in the US compared to almost every country in Europe? Did Europe allow the virus to penetrate much deeper into the older population?

Did Europe allow the virus to penetrate much deeper into the older population?

Sweden adopted a policy of, essentially, giving old people in nursing homes morphine and similar drugs, and letting them die. I kid you not, nor did I read this on some Right wing site. PBS did a series within News Hour on national healthcare systems, and this was one of the things discovered.

I noticed on the local news yesterday that when they do the daily tally, they removed one and said it wasnt due covid-19, I had a little chuckle. The news doesnt say anything about medical history about who dies, how can they. Same broadcast said a 20 yr old died, of course the news editors milk that, then go into how the health minister said 20 yr old had prior medical conditions. Most of the time they will say if the 60+ yr olds are in old age homes or not, its about a 60/40 in old age home who die that are mentioned on the daily tally.

Back