Wooden bicycles, lots of pics

spinningmagnets

Staff member
If you Google "wooden bicycle" or even "bamboo bicycle" (use "image search" also look at "fun bicycles" and "odd bicycles") there's plenty of crude whimsical examples...but I was pleasantly suprised and more impressed than I expected. A "trash day" MTB can provide head-tubes, BB's, drop-outs,...and a selection of bikes can even be bought for $20 at thrift stores.

If you can't afford a custom metal frame that accomodates a motor you want to use, or you wish you had an expensive recumbent...

Tino Sana
2778359854_8cf836b5c6.jpg

Old chinese carpenter, Peijia Wu (crank rods ! no chain)
woodenbike_shandong.jpg

High school shop project, Marco Facciola
wooden-bicycle.jpg

Close-up, wooden freewheel
marco-facciola-5.jpg

Waldmeister, German work of art
20090312bike01.jpg

Tandem work of art, Jens Eichler (plywood laminated, then shaped)
wooden_bike01_550x413.jpg

unknown Wooden MTB
bicycle-artwork-03.jpg

West-8
p10101941.jpg

After a while searching, you begin seeing the same examples. I resisted posting more, but for those who have read so far, here's the best of the rest I found.

Reinhold Eichhorn
wood-bike-03.jpg

Peter Dahlberg
wooddahlberg.jpg

Gota
GOTAbike2_300kb_.jpg

Magni Vinicio
clubbike.gif

Giuseppi Matera
materawood_bike.jpg

The Amazing Wooden Bike Company
woodupbike.jpg

Two from Igor Ravbar (steam-bent strips glued together and cured while clamped in a form)
woo1R.jpg

woo3.jpg

Alan McKay
McKay_Plywood_lowrider_01B.jpg

Howard Hung
woodchopper.jpg

Bernd Vonau, SWB recumbent
berndvonau1.jpg

Jan Gunneweg
wood_bike.jpg

1940 Italian Borsari (wartime metal in short supply)
wooden.jpg

Yer welcome :)
I think of this one too as a "woodie"... not sure why:
file.php

I found the Igor Ravbar bikes fascinating, made of steam-bent strips. I recently stumbled across a story about furniture making where strip wood was bent by applying the side of the strip to a hot-pipe (heated by an electric element or a small propane torch).

The heat partially melts the connective lignin "glue" between the fibers, and if clamped in shape while cooling, the strip will retain its bent shape. Gluing several similarly bent strips together makes a laminate that is light and strong with a certain amount of springiness to it, much like a laminated archery bow.

this site is for making guitars, but it had the best pics for the hot-pipe wood-bending method.

http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/people/sevy/luthierie/guitarmaking_guide/side_bending/side_bending.html

Wood is a fantastic building material. It is only important that 1)you dry the moisture content down to about 10% in the finished structure and 2)that you absolutely seal the wood completely to keep any moisture out after that.
tks
LoCk

Here's a great link about making your own fenders out of thin wood. It looks like a great winter project when you're stuck indoors. You can make them very simple and classic, or as complex as you want if you have an artistic streak.

Once the thin wood substrate is shaped, you can take a razor blade and cut veneers into patterns of stripes, diamonds, or any shape you want to make a attractive skin to add. Add a coat a clear sealer and you're set. Home-made guitar websites have some great info with lots of pics on making a skin of attractive wood designs.

http://www.momentumplanet.com/components/how-make-your-own-wooden-bike-fenders

http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/

Deluxe%207%20Cruiser.jpg

thats just amazing. i wouldnt think that bike could be made out of wood but that proved me wrong. there are some pretty cool designs that they have. how about building your own http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Bamboo-Bicycle/

Good find, def215, I have seen pics of bamboo bikes on the web, but the instructable you found had great info on the process, so a home-builder could make one themselves. I originally started the wooden bikes thread because I was interested in collecting info and examples of methods for construction used in the past, and I knew wood could be very strong and reasonably light if engineered properly. This would allow me to make a custom frame just the way I want (and I have odd taste). Pic is from bamboo-bike link above (frame ended up being VERY strong)

FDZVKS1FPIOLSND.MEDIUM.jpg

Back