Seriously considering a Spark EV used for about $10k.

I am seriously considering buying a used Spark EV as I mostly drive to and from the nearest town about 13 miles away. I could also use it to deliver wine within 30 miles from another plus. What about fixing and or modifications after the battery pack eventually goes. I know I will put miles on it as everything I own does. Any tips or suggestions.

nicobie said:
I don't imanage that there are too many mods you can do. You might try the Spark forums. I got a bunch of good info on the GM Volt forum for my Volt.

Thanks! I am going to use it stock, but would like to know a lot more about it.

I bought the 2016 Chevy Spark LT2 last year. I paid $8,000 plus tax came to about $9000. The LT2 is the one with leather-like interior. The LT1 is cloth. I have never been happier with a car purchase in my life. It comes with a charger for level 1 charging (110 outlet) takes about 10 hrs to fully charge from dead. I bought a level 2 charger (220v outlet) just in case I need a quicker charge 6-8 hrs from dead. That wasn't necessary as I've not used it once. I highly recommend the car. It's quick as hell acceleration. I have not used my gas car since getting it. Now driving a gas car seems sluggish and fuel wasting. Drive it all the time in L gear for regen charging. A/C is very efficient and cold, use the seat heater instead of the blow heater to conserve energy if you need to. Draft behind large semi trucks for saved energy if you need to. Don't worry about the displayed max distance, it's based on the average driving habits of the last driver. The battery has a 10 year warranty so no need to get extended warranty. There is no maintenance costs. No oil changes, no tune up, no coolant changes, no filters to replace. Only brakes and tires to buy in the future. This car has advanced battery cooling liquid jackets around the batteries to keep it maintained. I mention this because the 2020 Nissan Leaf EV has a battery cooling issue, it has no method of keeping it cool in hot weather. Chevy has designed a very decent EV with the Spark. It has usb charging in front, it has bluetooth enabled speakers for your cell phone. It's a little tight for 2 in the back seats but does have 4 doors that make up for it. The rear seats do fold down but not flat. If you lock the doors and plug it in, then pull out the connector from the car the alarm will go off until you unlock the door. The only other EV car I would consider other than this is the Chevy Bolt or Hyundai but they are lots more money.

Kcrunch1 said:
I bought the 2016 Chevy Spark LT2 last year. I paid $8,000 plus tax came to about $9000. The LT2 is the one with leather-like interior. The LT1 is cloth. I have never been happier with a car purchase in my life. It comes with a charger for level 1 charging (110 outlet) takes about 10 hrs to fully charge from dead. I bought a level 2 charger (220v outlet) just in case I need a quicker charge 6-8 hrs from dead. That wasn't necessary as I've not used it once. I highly recommend the car. It's quick as hell acceleration. I have not used my gas car since getting it. Now driving a gas car seems sluggish and fuel wasting. Drive it all the time in L gear for regen charging. A/C is very efficient and cold, use the seat heater instead of the blow heater to conserve energy if you need to. Draft behind large semi trucks for saved energy if you need to. Don't worry about the displayed max distance, it's based on the average driving habits of the last driver. The battery has a 10 year warranty so no need to get extended warranty. There is no maintenance costs. No oil changes, no tune up, no coolant changes, no filters to replace. Only brakes and tires to buy in the future. This car has advanced battery cooling liquid jackets around the batteries to keep it maintained. I mention this because the 2020 Nissan Leaf EV has a battery cooling issue, it has no method of keeping it cool in hot weather. Chevy has designed a very decent EV with the Spark. It has usb charging in front, it has bluetooth enabled speakers for your cell phone. It's a little tight for 2 in the back seats but does have 4 doors that make up for it. The rear seats do fold down but not flat. If you lock the doors and plug it in, then pull out the connector from the car the alarm will go off until you unlock the door. The only other EV car I would consider other than this is the Chevy Bolt or Hyundai but they are lots more money.
How does the 10 year battery warranty work? I am seeing these listed for 9k on carvana and carmax.

Back