Ford's secret plan to make money servicing EV's- Mach E Mustang

Ford uses 22 mechanical relays, most in expensive circuit boards. Tesla has NONE. Tesla does not have a dealer network and does not want to be bothered fixing EV's more than necessary. Ford knows relays fail sooner or later and using lots of them should help them maintain service revenue despite less parts being in an EV.
All my opinion. I could be wrong. Check the facts yourself.

Relays are one of the more reliable electrical components. ( compared to LED lights, displays, motors for windows etc)
Tesla have already had their own issues with “Solid State” electronics that had a limited life of <5k miles , requiring a $3+k replacement......until they were forced to do a recall. !
.....? When did you last have a relay fail on a modern car. .?
( i have owned may cars over the past 50 years,.. up to 5 at once ... and never had a relay fail ? )

i don't have a strong opinion on this. thanks for your comments.
did have a then new 84 fiero that had a brake relay fail under warranty. did have my ac relay fail.
time will tell. i hope i'm wrong about Ford. i like the mach-e. I like relays that plug in near the fuse box. Don't like them soldered into a circuit board. just my opinion
Back in 1984 i went to a Chevy dealer for a job interview as a mechanic. I told them i could fix a car right the 1st time. DUMB THING TO SAY that is not how they make money :twisted:

James May...(yes he of ex “TopGear”)...has owned a Tesla S for some time.
It is interesting what extended ownership reveals.
Even, though the S was garage parked, and on a charger, the Aux 12v battery went flat and locked the car down.
Solution was not as simple as you might expect, and the cause was dumb ass design.
What would this issue cost the average joe who has to rely on Tesla Support to fix it ?
....And, how long can you leave a Tesla before this happens ?
[youtube]NsKwMryKqRE[/youtube]

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/24/us/gm-plans-recall-of-244000-fieros-citing-fire-hazard.html
The General Motors Corporation will recall 244,000 four-cylinder Pontiac Fieros -every one ever made - because of a nagging engine-fire problem that contributed to the company's decision to stop making the two-seater.

For Ford, I like the Ford Raptor myself, and I would have to look into the new Ford Bronco, Mustangs are ok the Mach E sounds fast with the "E", but attach a hennessey and a condo price for 1k hp.
http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehicles/ford/mustang/2020-shelby-gt500-ford-mustang/venom-1000/

Rich Rebuilds could have fixed the Tesla 12V battery issue, no problem.

Matt Gruber said:

on the fiero, gm used the wrong oil filter which lacked an anti-drainback valve, which led to knock on a cold start, which let to rod failure, which led to a hole in the block with oil spraying out, which led to fires.
Oddly, while they appeared to understand this, and specified a different model filter for the recall, the PF51 also lacked the valve :shock: The correct filter is the PF52, which was explained in my newsletter, and the fiero plant subscribed so i knew they knew or should of known what to look for, since i described it in detail months prior to the recall and again after the bogus recall. They did nothing to correct the mistake. So you have to ask yourself, are they really this stupid? or just too lazy to look on a chart that shows the specs of each filter?
Or are they just too excited about selling you a new car? They do make more money if you buy a new car.
Well, i never bought a new car after that.
As for James May, i didn't watch, but i'm going to guess that he did NOT have a battery tender plugged in, and hooked to the 12v battery :oops: all cars need to keep the 12v battery charged when they sit more than a week or so. Not that i agree, no i think this is stupid, but it is the world we live in.

Matt Gruber said:
As for James May, i didn't watch, but i'm going to guess that he did NOT have a battery tender plugged in, and hooked to the 12v battery :oops: all cars need to keep the 12v battery charged when they sit more than a week or so. .
... watch the video.....then rethink your comment !
I have had many cars left for weeks, months even,.. and no problems with battery drain ?

start your own thread. this is about the mach-e, not the tesla

Oh ! Im confused...
You were comparing Ford to Tesla in the verry first line of your first post ?
So you didnt watch the video and hence you dont realise that it is impossible to use a “ trickle” charger on the Teslas 12 v aux battery !
That would be Auto design 101 failure !

Here Monroe pulls out the frunk and finds 31 clamps - hose clamps that could get you back to the dealer to fix a leak- and lots more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1dQtlrI7uU&ab_channel=MunroLive

Back