Why we e-ride, or, rather WHY WE WRITE HERE

Reid Welch

1 MW
Go ahead first, please?

I won't apply again to this thread until or unless at least five others make postings, starting now.

Sure, I have my opinion, and this need of mine, to write tech or tawk or jokes, or first aid to the wounded, is my.....

(I have no "tricks" to pull here, no jokes, no "traps" are being set by this asshole-member, not this time)

GO AHEAD AND PLEASE TO ANSWER THE TOPIC QUESTION JUST AS YOU LIKE? Be honest and complete?

Thanks, all,

Reid
(not in joker-mode)

At first to learn from other peoples experience with E-bikes.

Now, half the time its a social interaction that I am drawn to. I look up to many of the people here with a tremendous respect, and I hope to be accepted. E-bike people are better-read, more-involved, and interesting.

E-bike people (IMHO) are smarter than the average person, but more than that, they ACTED on what they learned.

I am surrounded by people who seem normal, but they buy houses much bigger than they need, and use adjustable-rate mortgages (actually rising-rate) even when they know they can't afford the balloon payments. They agree that fuel prices will rise again, but they recently bought a big new V8 as a status symbol.

I occasionally ride a pedal-bike for health, and people here look at me like I'm nuts, or ..."poor soul, he must have a DUI". Why would I ride a bike when I could drive?

My car is paid-for and has 4-cylinders, but if I only need a gallon of milk...I take one of my bikes.

I hate insurance companies.
I hate the way everyone sleepwalks their way into corporate slavery.
I hate the way people have given up and allow themselves to be overtaxed by corrupt government bureaucracies, because one corrupt politician is just as bad as the next one, since the rich have stacked the deck all the way down to parliamentary procedures.

Ebikes are my rebellion and I like to encourage others down the same path. Not to mention to learn more about the technology.

i e-ride because i save alot of money(fiat currency)
not running a car
i bought a ebike having never ridden one before...
now i,m hooked
i go places i couldn,t with a car
and see things i wouldn't with a car
just the other day got within 10 feet of a fox before he noticed
as to why write here
i like to learn and there are some way smart and ingenuous folks here
i won't name names as it will only go to their heads...

also i like to borrow others ideals and pass them off as my own to my friends lol
makes me seem "smarter" to my friends

and lessss r u a freeman?
you seem more awake than most although there is at least 1 other freeman here aswell...

I ride the ebike to save money,,,, ha ha, but at least the money is spent with people I like better than the regional gasoline distributor. Every dollar I don't put into the pockets of global oil companies is JOY! I ride the ebike for my health. Though less healthy than riding a regular bike, I definitely ride year round, where the regular bike got rode seasonally in my climate. I ride the ebike because it's FUN! There's your real reason, and why I have three ebikes when just one would get me to work fine. Climate change, eh, if it helps the plantet I don't mind it.

I write here as entertainment. I'm a virgo who hasn't shut up since I learned to talk, and finally found an audience that will listen. I had months to kill last summer when I was laid up with two broken collarbones and now writing here is an addiction. I spent a lot of time translating engineerese into noobese last summer as the gas price panic sent a lot of noobs to ebikes. At the time it seemed like a very bewildering world, especially with batteries. When my ping purchase turned out well, I wanted to tell everybody you could trust him. A year later, this site is so full of good info that the noob posts have much more specific questions to ask, thanks to the good work of ES members posting detailed build threads, reveiw threads, and great answers to the usual questions enough times for a noob to be able to find the info they need just by lurking.

First, I ride an ebike to try and save money on gas/car repairs. Ebiking is also a nice way of commuting without
getting too sweaty/tired. It allows me to save physical energy for other things during the day.
I doubt that I have saved money. But that's OK because ebiking is also a fun hobby. It's nice to be a
Pro-environment, too.
Yesterday, a woman in the passanger side of a van yelled out to me "F@#% That" " F@#$ That"? A generalized contempt of ebiking.
This is perhaps the first time somebody yelled a profanity at me on my ebike or any bike.
I interpreted this as a direct scorn of ebiking. Vulgarity and rudeness are unnecessary!! I was a little taken aback and wanted to give pursuit.
Ebikng is not always for people who are physically unfit. I take my bike to the gym all the time.
Electric riding gives more freedom and flexibilty. I like to write read and write posts so that I can learn and hopefully help.
What annoys me most about ebiking is the public misconceptions. I'm not trying to pinch a penny. I'm not physically unfit. Nor am I Mr. Environment. Those kinds of perceptions are over-simplified & exaggerated.

I e-bike because I have to, but it turns out to be a blessing in disqies, the gas savings alone is worth it.

I write here to give back what I have learned from other people that have taken the time to do the same....Pay It Forward..Have a nice e-bike day.. :D

I post here because i have an interest in battery and motor technology. Having 200 people with similar interests let's me know that when improvements happen, odds are pretty good someone in the group will have seen it and posted about it. This forum helps me to not miss-out on tech updates :)

Its also fun to be on a forum with Methy again, and I've met a lot of good people here I never would have met otherwise.

-Luke

I ride an ebike because I hate wasting time in traffic and now traffic is all but irrelevant, getting me from A to B quicker in almost all cases. Plus I've always loved the free feeling of moving through the wind whether it's on a boat, in my Jeep sans top, a motorcycle, or now my ebikes. My ebikes are even more quiet than sailing, because sails are fluttering at the edges and rigging often rattles. Good thing I can't ride my ebike without hands or I'd be falling asleep or do like Meg Ryan in City of Angles.

I started with ebikes to learn about EV's, because I see them as the future and want to have some involvement in the energy revolution that's coming, and e-bikes are an easy first step for learning more. Since they are the most efficient form of transportation known to man, not to mention that they are just plain fun. 1 or 2 will always be in my stable of vehicle choices.

I started reading here because I found these forums to be the most informative. I started posting to ask questions, then later to share the little bit I've learned. Like many, if not most, once you start frequenting a forum daily, then the sense of community kicks in an you start sharing more than just the EV info.

John

Having 200 people with similar interests

If you click on the members button, 5000+ users..gotta love it

I take the sort of transportation that fits my needs the best.

A E-bike wins hands down in a lot of circumstances. On the 4th I rode my E-bike down to the harbor to watch fireworks, taking a car would mean I would either have to show up hours earlier or park and walk a mile. Leaving the event, I was able to bypass the hour long wait in the traffic.

Today I need to go to the bank downtown. Taking a car in downtown traffic is not any faster then a E-bike. Parking can be a problem and I may have to pay, where as with my E-bike I park at the front door of the bank.

I do like to get some daily exercise too and the E-bike gives me the option on how much I choose to get. If I feel like a workout, I just pedal like mad, has a side effect of getting me there faster too :D

Deron.

Reid Welch said:
Go ahead first, please? Thanks, all,
Reid
Wow! A thread that I did not ruin by domination or de-railing.
Is this an ES first for me, or what? :D :D :D :D :D

WHY I WRITE HERE : to be nearer.....

And because I have no real life to speak of, am pretty much housebound,
but very, very happy to share "exciting" things with virtual family of ES.

and I love to read of your triumphs. George, are you yet with us?
[youtube]9NAi6feAMOs[/youtube]
"HQ" the fuzzy transfer if possible? It's a mere shadow of its former, perfect condition.

Also, I cry without power, for the dead...I really do. The other Reid, is forever a perfect Reid, and cannot suffer ever again...

...and again, this ineluctable (beautiful word, look it up) impulse of force impelling me to write,

and to write of the good things, or just to tease and joke,
which, too, as they say, forces away the darkness of fear
very well indeed!

r.

________
More inputs please? This could become an epic thread....for all the right reasons:
ebikers and bikers of the Right Stuff who also write right-good things for our posterity.
Sheldon Brown? Another, never to be forgot.

The Reids will ride on minus one from their numbers..

Why I write here? Cause you guys are sooperstars! I love me some E contraptions along with the pedal and ICE ones. ^Once again DS says it better than I could.

Lessss said:
Reid avoid doing forum post when on medication :)
:shock:
Fun is fun and I deserve to be ribbed hard. For the record, I am always sober.

I only act stoned. I don't even drink. I smoke tobacco: a fine med for calming the nerves,
remember that Advert I showed the other day? "DOCTORS RECOMMEND LUCKYS: NOT A COUGH IN A CARLOAD"

ahem!

One thing all reids have in common: they are daredevils, fearing no one or anything.
And this reid is a major clown and blowhanz!
"Ja!", says veteran phantom member who hacked my password: Herr Aflaschindernose
~~~
Reid, out. Let this thread be about Our Writers, and about the real Reid who we lost;

not this curtain-hidden-fake Oz wizard, oddity of all things manipulated.

Reid,

Oh you're stoned all right. It may just be on your own natural brain chemicals, but you're definitely out there where the rest of us require external chemical input. :D

John

John in CR said:
but you're definitely out there where the rest of us require external chemical input.
Lol! That is a prime example of one of the reasons why i love coming to this site everyday - you guys crack me up! :D
Not a day goes by that i don't have a good 'ol chuckle at someone's take on a situation :wink:

ES is such a melting pot of interesting people from all over the globe with different points of view, experiences, ideas and skills usually with a good dash of humour thrown in where possible. Its a fun place to "hang out" so to say.

I am building the ebike: as a challenge to myself, for commuting locally, to cut down on using my car, to go dirt riding, as a sort of replacement for not having an ICE dirtbike in my garage for the 1st time in 15yrs, to learn, to have fun!

I sold my 390hp R32 Skyline to help pay for the bike and i already miss that big hit of turbo power so the bike will no doubt end up being my over-powered (now 4.5kw, more to come tho :twisted: ) fun machine to help replace the R32's high fun factor.

Paul :D

I took up electric bike riding because 1) got ripped off too many times on car repairs and 2) I have no life and need to get out of the house more

i got into e-bikes because 1) building contraptions like this is something i enjoy doing. also, 2) biking in the city is way more efficient than getting stuck in traffic in a car and seems more reliable than public transportation in the city and 3) i enjoy going on this forum where there is a vast amount of knowledge and ideas to be shared and to be put to good use by people all over the world.

The amount of savings using an ebike is'nt that substantial. For me, only like $300 a year saved in gas because I drive a V8, and would only be like $150 if you drive a 4cyl car. I do drive an old car and refuse to buy a new car. $600 dealer checkups doensn't sound like much fun to me. I coudn't buy one now anyway. The things that I value the most about ebiking are getting the best parking spot, avoiding speed bumps, no pissed off tailgaters, no swearing because I missed the light, ability to stop anywhere, do u-turns anywhere I want, and never sweat in the summer.

I'm riding an ebike these days because it's so damn practical. I have a car but it is expensive to operate, maintain etc. (compared to an ebike). Also, I live in a densely populated city with horrible traffic. I can zoom to the front of a traffic light and be first off the line. It's crazy but I can get to where I want to go almost as fast as in my car. I also ride because I generally hate driving. I could ride my push bike but I don't like getting sweaty on my way to work (or the store or any where really ...except the gym). Plus my ebike is faster that my push bike and I can carry a passenger easily. I couldn't say that about my push bike at all.

As for why I post here...well birds-of-a-feather I guess. :p

Back