Ice creams pumped with air to cut costs

I no longer buy Breyers or Edy's.
They are whipped like whipped cream; lots of air.
I put them on a scale and they weighed ~1.5#. the 48oz or 56 oz refers to volume, not weight!
Publix weighed ~2.7# not much air; costs less, get 80% more! Actually i paid 20 cents less! $2.50 vs 2/5.39.
Also when i defrosted my freezer the whipped ones melted down to less than 1/2 full. I said to myself "why am i buying this?" Now Breyers calls some "Desserts" not ice cream as they know can't get away with calling it ice cream.

What is the world coming to when you have to be weary even about ice cream? :(

I hate that it pisses me off so much, but this is a major thorn in my side. I love me some ice cream, and I was super-pissed when I bought a carton of that "extra-creamy" stuff only to find, as you did, that it really means "extra-airy".

I'll stick with my Blue Bell (or other regional dairy) ice cream, thx.

If you truly love ice cream, Google "homemade ice cream". Not too hard, and you gotta try it at least once, it might be worth the effort for you.

I've heard that home-brewed beer doesnt end up being a huge savings in cost, but those who love it say they like the way they can control it, and make the amount of body and taste they prefer...

nicobie said:
All ice cream has air whipped into it. The industry calls it 'overege'. Ice cream needs to have 10% cream in it or it has to be called something else like ice milk, sherbet or frozen dessert.
10% of what? weight? volume? # of ingredients? calories?
Any limit on amount of air?
Thanks!

My opinion: the old ice creams were airless, practically, and a pain to scoop from the hard-frozen container, and bore ever so much fat and sugar per serving.

Whipped ice cream is a century old at least; those "soft serve" ice cream cones are much more fun to eat, imo, than rock-hard, drippy glops topping a waffle cone.

In a way, we get what we pay for. The newer ice creams are all air-filled.
It's a mixed "blessing". And to think, the "weight" is cost, cost to make, cost to transport, etc.

As "my" Aunt Barbara says, "you get what you pay for". Again, but this time, pretend the value-brand is whipped, and the premium brand is pure goodness. Quite a stretch of the imagination,
but, perhaps, low-cost ice cream is just the thing to serve to that unwelcome company in your home?

[youtube]lx7oy4krOdc[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I SCREAM, WE ALL SCREAM, FOR ICE CREAM...or Hartford House Deviled Luncheon Meat.

...and want to clear this house of ingrates:
[youtube]_PmrH0dfRac[/youtube]
:twisted:

Fluffy Vanilla Reid Uses an Air Pump,
but not the kind you associate with ice cream or tire pumps

JackBennyFredAllenFeud2.jpg

Hit me, Fred, you ball breaker!

spinningmagnets said:
If you truly love ice cream, Google "homemade ice cream". Not too hard, and you gotta try it at least once, it might be worth the effort for you.

I have an ice-cream maker in my garage. Motorized; one of the ones you put ice and salt into. I made some basic vanilla in it once. Pretty good stuff...

Mebbe try making some crunchy PB ice cream in it later...

Also: 3,500 post get.

Ya, gallons, quarts, and pints are all volume measurements. The ounce and fluid ounce are where the confusion happens. And if you examine ice cream containers now, you'll see some are downsizing from 1/2 gallon (56 fl. oz.) to 48 fl. oz. Sneeky bastids.

Here's a cool activity for kids, ice cream made in ziploc bags.
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/a/aa020404a.htm

See if you can spot any flaws in the "chemistry" explanation.

Is it here?

When you add salt to the ice, it lowers the freezing point of the ice, so even more energy has to be absorbed from the environment in order for the ice to melt

Same energy required, heat flow is faster due to increased temperature differential to ambient.

Right?

Bingo

You would be disappointed at how most stuff you buy are "cut".... and I am not just referring to plants or white powder.

Pepper, for example, is rarely "pure" unless you bought pepper corns.

Wine or beer are rarely "natural" but loaded with additives.

Makes it easier to down the whole carton in a few hours. Especially since the containers are smaller now.

D-Man said:
Makes it easier to down the whole carton in a few hours. Especially since the containers are smaller now.

Sure it makes it easier, but you don't get that same "I just ate a whole carton of ice cream" feeling :wink:

Home made ice cream is way better then store bought, but way more expensive too. Fresh top quality ingredients are key, but that is where the expense comes in. A way to get around that is to buy a good quality vanilla ice cream and add fresh fruit from your garden, the flavor is way better. I always make peach shakes when I'm getting peaches off my tree. Yummy!

I think I will try some plums off my tree, Could be really good.

Deron.

OK. So i ordered a cow.
Got kicked when i tried to milk it!
Turns out the farmer made a mistake and sent a
bull! So i'm sending it back. Forget making it from scratch.
So now i'm eating the Publix Premium Blackjack Cherry that i've always liked, the one that has not been cut, and weighs 2.7lb and was on sale for 2.50 1/2gal
Reid
u need to learn how to store ice cream. It should be kept 5-20+F so it comes out w/2 fingers on your spoon. Then u buy quality dense IC and add whipped cream and a cherry on top. In the deep freeze 0F or lower, even the airy kind gets like rock. and at 20+F even airless tastes great.
Now get to work and mod the freezer compartment!

The nutrition label has the facts.
Breyers 60grams 1/2 cup
Publix 73g
21% more product.
servings: B=12
P=16! 33% more servings, 62% more product total!
calories
B=125
P=200
Fat
B=25
P=100!
Very important to have the high fat to keep from gaining weight. Also makes it taste great.

Back