my idea to let my license expire ran into a snag

Haven't driven since last September. Bike works great and little traffic on the bike path. Don't see any reason to drive EXCEPT to renew my license. So if i don't renew, i don't need to drive 8)
BUT the bank requires a government ID to get cash. Have to go to the same place, so might as well renew.
I'll be turning 70, and i'm not sure i want to keep working on my 61 Corvette. Had it since 1975 and the novelty has worn off. Takes about 2 hours for every 1 hour of driving. :wink: So, bike is a heck of a lot easier.(now that my better diet cured me) :bigthumb:

Get an ID card. State will issue you one, probally free of charge. There are licenses.. then there are ID cards.

I have not had a Drivers License since.. Somewhere around 2014. I still do alot of things that require credential. Probally my most important thing in my whole world,..... That little card.

Go Karts man, Go Karts are fun as a Corvette, I have heard, . I never had both so IDK.

You need a Fed-approved Real ID to get on aircraft and to enter many Fed properties.

Some states charge a bit more, others are compliant with all their DLs and IDs, a few keep delaying but time's running out.

A passport will also do.

Yeah, snagging a passport would be another option if you're okay with having it on you all the time- which there's lots of reasons not to. I'd snag that State ID and see what it's usable for, some states in the Midwest it's nearly 1:1 to a driver's license.

Vettes are fun, but sketchy vette's are funner.

Passport offices are being jammed packed and backlogged, so you should pay extra to get it expedited. if you really need a passport that bad in a short time.

I got a 10 year passport good for another 1.5 yrs so I should really get it renewed, when traveling some countries like 6 months before its expired is the general rule.

So it turns out the state of FL allows every other DL renewal to be online :shock: This info was NOT on the county site. There is only 1 place in the whole county to renew a DL or get an ID- in Daytona(20 miles of heavy traffic each way). Glad i don't have to go this time. The closer (8 miles) office i used last time has been closed. :roll:
Both sites fail to say how long it renews. Last time it was 8 years :thumb:
Thanks for the replies :bigthumb:

I would renew the license. You never know when you may need to drive your car or another car. And if you have a car that is in use,
insurance is required. My auto ins just jumped from $530 to about 630 for 6 months here in Fla. The car insurance issue will only get worse if I get a pricey electric car.

Renewed DL online- 8 years $48. ID is $25 for 4 years.
site was a nightmare- took 2 hours :roll:
still better than going there in person. found out can renew 18 months in advance :thumb: But next time it says i have to go in person. I'll be 78, so i may have my ashes sent :lol:
an ID good only 4 years is puzzling. should be good at least 8, more like 20 imo.
thanks for the comments :bigthumb: license could come in handy- 8 years is a long time. At least i found out i don't need a car, past 8 months. :bigthumb:
i've heard that gas has gone up :eek:

Got my renewal FLDL :bigthumb: all info perfect, and i look 8 years younger :thumb: (still old) :lol:
good to 8 2030 :mrgreen:
comes with letter:
Florida law now requires that each drivers license applicant present specific identification documents in order to renew. Before your next drivers license renewal, please visit www.GatherGoGet.com

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/
i do have the star :bigthumb:
not too surprising their site does not work :roll: FL said my address was invalid :roll: :lol:
etc. lots of bugs :roll:

test different pc
tried to delete- says i can't :roll: :?

above post

Back