China accidents and ebike fires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS8133FmX78&ab_channel=ChinaObserver

Did it say every family in china has an ebike for errands? Sounds like a good idea for the USA. :thumb:

Even without seeing the video- Aeon.co had a great article called "Chabudo!" which is Chinese essentially, for "Good enough for Government Work!". I bring it up because the failure point in China could be EVERYTHING from the wall plug, to the battery to even the power station itself; they don't have the quality guarantee that the west takes for granted.

Matt Gruber said:
Did it say every family in china has an ebike for errands? Sounds like a good idea for the USA. :thumb:

The way things are going, it may become a necessity. People take for granted that gasoline is available at all because they always have access to it. That could end soon.

The Toecutter said:
The way things are going, it may become a necessity. People take for granted that gasoline is available at all because they always have access to it. That could end soon.
In the 1970's the US government made a huge blunder, and when oil became scarce due to an embargo, pressured gas stations to keep prices low and to not sell gas on certain days. This drove massive shortages as people rushed to stock up on cheap gas.

Today we (fortunately) do not have that problem, at least in the YS. Government has mostly stayed out of it. As a result prices are sky-high but there are no shortages, since the supply/demand equation still balances.

In the future, if governments are smart enough to not screw with the economics of gasoline too much, it will be widely available - but may not be affordable. That's vastly preferable to it being cheap but unavailable.

JackFlorey said:
In the future, if governments are smart enough to not screw with the economics of gasoline too much, it will be widely available - but may not be affordable. That's vastly preferable to it being cheap but unavailable.

Whether price controls and their consequences are preferable or not depends upon how much money one has. If the price of gasoline is unaffordable to someone, it is functionally the same to them as it being unavailable altogether. In which case, an ebike could still be a lifeline in a place where there is inadequate or even no mass transit.

The Toecutter said:
Whether price controls and their consequences are preferable or not depends upon how much money one has. If the price of gasoline is unaffordable to someone, it is functionally the same to them as it being unavailable altogether.
Agreed. However, for such people, that may make gas unavailable for cars but available for scooters (for example.) Or available only for critical trips. In both cases, preferable to the shortages caused by price controls/limiting supply.

Problem then becomes, that American cities are only set up for cars and little else; you could have serious personal and social issues because people have to walk or bike on unsafe roads just for basic care, which could easily have a rebounding affect.

Basically, Join your local city/town government for biking and walking infrastructure so it doesn't hit you like a ton of bricks.

?? Where is the “ sudden change”.. ?
Politicians are all “politicians”, focused on their own personal gains, as opposed to being rational, independent, logical thinking, LEADERS, with the best outcome for their voters in mind.
Its pretty obvious the the current crop of WEF, “woke” , phukwits, who call themselves world leaders, ..are far removed from the reality that they have created for us all.
Sri Lanka, are setting an example, both in how quick a stable society can be screwed by bad leadership, ..and also in how it may need to be resolved ! Fortunately , SL have a sensible, non violent, culture which may not be the case for everywhere !

Still stuff like this
https://youtu.be/uS8133FmX78?t=261
Is being used to get e-bikes banned as a result of their un-insurability .
Chris at Propel is one of the few folks talking about the issue and that is because NYC is at the forefront of recording and publicizing it , leading to aggressive legislation.

2000 fires out of 350,000,000 ebikes doesn't sound too bad to me. how many ICE fires are there?

onemorejoltwarden said:
Still stuff like this
https://youtu.be/uS8133FmX78?t=261

Reading the comments section of that video, many native Chinese were discussing the quality of their country's products. In their language, a common phrase used to describe their country's products translates to "tofu dreg". Which is rather funny. Products are built to be disposable instead of last. The irony is that to make a quality long-lasting product versus a shoddy but barely usable one, generally the materials cost and hours of labor required to produce the quality product doesn't increase greatly versus the shoddy product. I've bought two made-in-China ratchet sets at different times(I tried to find made in USA ones but they were not available at any of the stores I checked), one was $19.99 and the other was $21.99. The one for $19.99 broke in one month. The one for $21.99 that I replaced it with has been in use since 2011 and still has all of its components functioning perfectly fine.

A similar dynamic applies to cars and ebikes. It is not uncommon to take a product, build it out of $1,000 of materials and $500 of labor, and then turn it into junk to save $50 and add the difference to profit margin. You get a product that lasts a year or two instead of decades, and/or is a safety risk instead of iron-clad reliable, for a marginal profit increase. This is how we get more landfill fodder and battery fires: planned obsolescence. It keeps people buying more, instead of buying once and being done with it.

ice cream that won't melt :lol: guaranteed not to melt- ever :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1S4_kTEm-U&ab_channel=ChinaInsights

china goes green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvc7VymDa4c&ab_channel=serpentza
:lol:

Matt Gruber said:
china goes green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvc7VymDa4c&ab_channel=serpentza
:lol:

In the process, they're polluting the environment even more and making it even less likely to recover.

42 story fire- burns out entire building in 10 minutes
and other suspicious fires in china
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m3ZMczAMYc&ab_channel=ChinaInsights

Hillhater said:
Classic flamable exterior cladding fire ?…
that is your conclusion, after watching the video?

my take is that Xi has a lot of enemies, increasing with all the covid lockdowns.
and 6 buildings in 1 day in 1 city, reminded me of 9-11, some sort of attack.

acres of ebikes in china

acres of ebikes in china
China has so much electronic junk laying around, this Genghis Khan-looking MF was able to build an electric car completely from scratch with scrap, and do yourself a favor and watch the whole video, because it is quite something and there are lots of hilarious surprises toward the end:

This man and his car are awesome. I wish I knew the language he was speaking so I could get more out of the video, because it was amazing.

Last edited:
China has so much electronic junk laying around, this Genghis Khan-looking MF was able to build an electric car completely from scratch with scrap, and do yourself a favor and watch the whole video, because it is quite something and there are lots of hilarious surprises toward the end:

This man and his car are awesome. I wish I knew the language he was speaking so I could get more out of the video, because it was amazing.
How is this not the most watched video on youtube? This is hilarious. I need one.

Back