Dr. Kempners rice diet from the 1940's, compare to todays ideas

Here is the Kempner rice diet. It is an interesting diet. (I don't eat rice because in the south it has arsenic because it is planted in previous cotton fields and they used arsenic to kill bugs that ate cotton. They have good rice in CA and i'd eat that.)
The thing about it is, most advice to reduce high glucose shown in a blood test, is to avoid carbs, which is backwards. The high glucose is caused by muscle cells that are stuffed with fat, and can't take in normal glucose. People saying to avoid carbs don't have a clue. Avoid processed foods like soda and cake, but eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
The reason i'm posting this is to show what happens when you take an extreme position just to test a theory. You find out the truth.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletters/walter-kempner-md-founder-of-the-rice-diet/

Carbohydrates are sugars just converted for storage.
High sugars are not caused by "muscle cells that are stuffed with fat", it's because body cells that aren't using energy at increased rates (exercise) become resistant to insulin constantly trying to move sugars into the cell. And from eating too much.

i may have butchered the article in my way too brief summary. :lol:
i had insulin resistance and i was always slim, so for me it was not from eating too much.
Kempner proved that very high sugar intake does NOT cause diabetes, it CURES diabetes (type 2)
That was quite a surprise in the 1940's when people thought if glucose was high, you needed to avoid sugar.
Stunning weight loss for obese people eating rice, and adding all the table sugar they wanted. i didn't even know there were obese people back then :D
Please quote the section of the article that you disagree with. I'm no expert, and you should not respond to my cavalier comments.

Matt Gruber said:
i may have butchered the article in my way too brief summary. :lol:
Oh! I see now, I'm sorry if I came off too curt :oops:

Kempner proved that very high sugar intake does NOT cause diabetes, it CURES diabetes (type 2)
That was quite a surprise in the 1940's when people thought if glucose was high, you needed to avoid sugar.
Stunning weight loss for obese people eating rice, and adding all the table sugar they wanted. i didn't even know there were obese people back then :D
Please quote the section of the article that you disagree with. I'm no expert, and you should not respond to my cavalier comments.

So what I'm seeing so far as a nurse with some dietary knowledge and family with a lot of dietary restrictions-

Kempner here made what is now, a variant of the Low Inflammation Diet, the Renal Diet, and some of the most aggressive cardiac diets. I wish the page went into more details, but essentially- All animal fats and proteins have a measure of oxidative stress, and "cracking" them for use in the body causes free radicals to form. Free radicals are just one component of many that pinball throughout the body causing systemic inflammation that most of us have in some form, and some people are sadly just more susceptible to it than others. There is some modern research that ties this inflammatory state with autoimmune diseases, but it's very hard with todays lifestyles to develop use cases- and also because, most people who eat diets that would give a good baseline also live in areas of the world where parasites are still common and thus don't get autoimmune disorders at all.

kempner-compositionopti.jpeg

This image is pretty telling. Stupid-ass low protein on the kidneys and low inflammation means your glomeruli aren't swollen and allowing things like protein to leak through the space- stupid low sodium also means your blood pressure is low (since water follows salt) which removes even more strain and resistance. The Renal system is the major component of blood volume and pressure control, so it's no question that these patient's had their pressures drop to frock-all; if they had enough iron in these diets they likely would have seen even slight improvements in blood hemoglobin and hematocrit! This is seen in that scanning of the diabetic's eye; their pressures were under so much better control the change in color could be a lack of chronic inflammation from the hypertension (though it is equally possible it is due to just poor printing/scanning).

Loss of animal fats also means these patients are consuming no cholesterol, or very little. That will allow the liver time to produce HDL to remove most of the LDL/VLDL from the bloodstream in typical filtration and processing for bile. We see this when patients with heart attacks go full vegan, it's one of the few "restorative" diets known because it allows the body to finally begin actively removing some plaques.

The only real negatives to this, are the difficulties in maintaining it and how you add foods back into the diet or cover for lost things. It's very hard for anyone to make massive changes like this, and from reading the article it seems like the Doc was very close to keep cheering them on through the process and correcting when needed (being in the 30s-40s with their limitations also helps). For instance, I've successfully cut soda completely out of my diet and part of the only reason I could do that, was because growing up I never drank or had much at home in the first place.

Matt Gruber said:

Well they really didn't know back then- they made some phenomenal observations, but fact is they couldn't even do exploratory surgery until after the 1960s because we didn't have antibiotics or the ability to clean skin well enough. Kinda like where you hear people claiming we have "such higher rates of cancer now"; we knew cancer existed back then and killed people, but you couldn't open someone up to find out until they were dead, and it's symptoms can be very similar to things like Tuberculosis.

As for cure? Nah, you're goal with Type 2 is just to lower the body's resistance to it's own insulin. High-Intensity Interval training now is a serious treatment option for it, and lowering resistance is how drugs like Metformin work for them.

I did HIIT exercises on my bike, as i read something like you said.
Also i wanted to stimulate my bones to get stronger. Came up with- stomp my feet on concrete; i did 88 stomps and the next day i was wiped out, so i'd say it worked. Now and then i do 10 stomps. I'm 70 and don't want to fall and break a bone. Funny how years ago the big thing was low impact exercise, which is good, but high impact is even better as long as there is no pain. Like when i hammer in a stake for my tomato plants- BANG BANG BANG has to make my arms stronger or keep them from becoming weak.

Matt Gruber said:
I did HIIT exercises on my bike, as i read something like you said.
Also i wanted to stimulate my bones to get stronger. Came up with- stomp my feet on concrete; i did 88 stomps and the next day i was wiped out, so i'd say it worked. Now and then i do 10 stomps. I'm 70 and don't want to fall and break a bone. Funny how years ago the big thing was low impact exercise, which is good, but high impact is even better as long as there is no pain. Like when i hammer in a stake for my tomato plants- BANG BANG BANG has to make my arms stronger or keep them from becoming weak.

Oh you don't need to go wild striking concrete! Any kind of impact will do: your bones are full of cells called Osteocytes which monitor your bone through a dense "net" of connecting fibers; each one is kinda like a little pedometer, where if they "feel" impacts they either call for an increase density and slowing of resorption (your bones are literally always bring broken down and regrown) or to increase it because you're just not moving as much. This paper gets into it a bit:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000398610800194X?via%3Dihub

Low impact is more for joint health. If you want good impacts to strengthen bone but little to no joint damage, supposedly soccer is one of the best options.

Back