Adding pictures?

deronmoped

10 kW
How do you add pictures to a post?

Thanks, Deron.

Moderator addition to make the instructions easy to find:

To upload a picture, click the Attachments tab below where you type your post, and Add Files button.

A window comes up for you to browse to where your pictures are stored and choose them, one at a time or select a bunch at once.

When it's uploading it'l show a progress bar on each one to the right of the filename, and when it's done it'll show a new button "place inline", that you can use to put a picture in a specific place in your post, but you don't have to do anything--once it's uploaded they'll all show up at the end of the post anyway.

They'll automatically be resized to fit the forum so you don't have to do that..

deronmoped said:
How do you add pictures to a post?

Thanks, Deron.

Quickest way is to upload images to the ES server, to do this use the 'browse'
button below the text editor (the box you tye your message in) this will open up a window viewing files on YOUR pc, navigate to the pic you wont to display, click 'Ok' the name of your pic will appear next to the 'browse' button...simple click the 'add file' button and your done, the pic will show in your post...

KiM

The only way I know how is to put them on something like photobucket. Then when you scroll over your pic in PB it gives you an option to copy as a direct link. Then when you are posting you click the Img link above, then put your cursor where the blinking line is between where it says [Img Img] right click and paste. Then you can hit preview instead of submit to see if it worked..

Aussie you are the man. much simpler than my method.. I might add that the img. has to be less than 512 kb At least that is what it told me when I tried. I use Irfanview to resize mine. It lets you reduce an image by half without losing much quality. You can reduce by half over and over till you end up with avatar size pic if you want..

ES admins will hate me for saying this but of the two approaches - linking to an image hosted elsewhere versus uploading the image itself to ES as msg attachment - when uploaded to ES the image is never "lost" from the thread. Plenty of old threads here that display only broken links `cause the source image was moved or deleted from the other site (sigh)
Tks
Lloc

Yeah, when I wore out my laptop, I lost all my resized versions of pics, but viola there they are archived at ES. Sweet. When I need to post yet another pic of how I did my battery rack, there it is. I know it's lame, but I just use the windows paint to make my pics small before posting. Shooting small helps too, so I set the camera on 2 megapixel. Then I reduce to 45% and they usually fit.

Using the ES browse method allows easy placement of the pics wherever you want on the thread, and previewing just in case it's the wrong pic, or placed wrong.

Other methods may allow a better look at tiny details, like the writing on controller components, etc. It would be nice if high res pics could be posted right on ES, by permission, for a good reason.

I rarely use the ES pic hosting i have my own server access so dont use up the ES storage space, that said, Big Kudos to ES powers that be for allowing image hosting on the site, it must be taking up some space on the servers HDD hence the lower image size allowed i guess? If every member started uping 2-3mb HiDef images it would fill a drive up pretty quick...keep in mind folks, its a feature not alot of forums allow for, it makes it extremely easier for the not so computer literate members of a site able to display their images with ease...Top job ES .....

KiM

Not so computer literate.. That's me. Thanks for showing this old newbe a new trick ..

AussieJester said:
Top job ES .....
Second that of course... This phpBB forums software is some of the nicest I've seen as a user... My only wish would be that it had a separate images library area as seen with vBulletin3 software, like here:
http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/

The distinction with vBulletin is that the images are uploaded to the users own pictures area then linked to in messages, but more importantly the images are tagged and tags are searchable... With this phpBB software, images in threads can sorta get "lost" after a while...

tks
Lock

If I wanted to insert a photo called "WhyCyclistsWearBlackShorts.jpg", I would

• Select the "Upload attachment" tab
  • Click "Browse" and navigate to the .JPG
  • Once "Filename" is populated with the URL of the .JPG, click "Add the file"
  • Add a reference to the file thusly:

For some weeks I was doing this, but it was not working.

But I just tried it on a test thread and it worked.

So maybe there's some variable that I do not know about.

Want to add pictures? It is better to upload directly to ES, IMO.

Start with great freeware:
Modify, annotate, composite with GIMP.... cross-platform, better than Photo$hop.
Batch convert many images easily with Irfanview... fast, good compression algorithm.

Regarding display in posts:

This image is small enough (<800px wide) to display without an IMG tag. It is an attachment, placed 'inline'.
View attachment 2

The next image is bigger than 800px wide, so it needs to be added as an attachment (below) and displayed using the IMG tag, but the IMG tag needs the attachment location (not the original filename):
Code:
[img]http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=57072[/img]
Also, big and wide images can push out the right side of the table and make visitors scroll to see paragraphs that extend as far as the picture, which can be annoying.
file.php

IMG_3728_sm.jpg

The next image is very large, and should be simply left as an attachment, since display will be much bigger than most screens. Its file size has been reduced in GIMP to the allowable attachment size, (<512kb). The forum's PHPbb software generates the thumbnail (small image) if the filesize is over 250kb. The thumbnail can be clicked for full resolution.

Edit: repaired broken images.

Attachments

• IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 126,259
TylerDurden said:
.. but the IMG tag needs the attachment location, not the original filename.)
Code:
[img]http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=32653[/img]

That's what I was missing: the proper citation of where the image is.

Why I got it to work on that test post escapes me.... but now I know the right way.

Thanks for the clear and complete instructions.

Maybe its been covered but is it new within the last few weeks that we must scroll to view many of the images posted? Is there a way to make the window a little larger at least so reasonably sized images can be viewed without having to scroll, say maybe 800x600?

I use photobucket.com, I can upload all the images at once and the

FILE0084.jpg

FILE0088.jpg

FILE0089.jpg

FILE0091.jpg

FILE0090.jpg

here is how it looks in the post
Code:
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/FILE0084.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/FILE0088.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/FILE0089.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/FILE0091.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/FILE0090.jpg[/IMG]

With exceeding annoyance, I find that I can't add an 800x600 picture without having scroll bars or duplication:
- If I add it as an inline attachment, it gets scrollbars.
- If I add it as an attachment with tags, it displays nicely, but I get a duplicate at the bottom of the post.

One workaround would be to post the photos as attachments in a dummy thread somewhere no-one reads, then use [img] tags where I want them, but that's dodgy as...

Anyone have a (proper) way around this?

madact said:
With exceeding annoyance, I find that I can't add an 800x600 picture without having scroll bars or duplication:
- If I add it as an inline attachment, it gets scrollbars.
- If I add it as an attachment with tags, it displays nicely, but I get a duplicate at the bottom of the post.

One workaround would be to post the photos as attachments in a dummy thread somewhere no-one reads, then use [img] tags where I want them, but that's dodgy as...

Anyone have a (proper) way around this?[/quote]
Switcitching to "subsilver2" style in the User Control Panel>Board Preferences will eliminate the scrollbars, but it has a different panel layout (better IMO).

I can't understand why it is so hard for me to post pictures. :evil: Dogman gave me some direction but I am still epic fail! It is taking me so freeking loooooooooooonnnnggg. Still don't know what I am doing. :oops: Maybe its going to take all night. Maybe all week... Grrrrr. :twisted: I can put a computer together blindfolded but operating software programs are hit and miss. :roll:

Im just not being able to convert the pictures to small enough size to post. Grrrr still trying...9-20101 (600 x 450).jpg

Download pix resizer its free and rezsizes bulk pics in one hit for you.

http://download.cnet.com/PIXresizer/3000-12511_4-10607499.html

For posting simple click the browse button underneath the text editor (where you type your posts) Find the pic on your pc click on it, then click 'open' then click the add file button couldnt be simpler...

KiM

p.s when resizing pics make them no larger than 600x600 and they will display as an image in your post not a link to the image.

Back