Invention idea

morph999

100 kW
I'm going to throw this out for free. I just thought of it. You know how a few companies are developing wireless electricity? What if you wired your bike and house to be able to transfer electricity from your house to your bike about 5 to 10 miles away? It has to be possible. Tesla was doing something like that and now I think GE is developing the technology or is it Intel ? You could ride around forever as long as your kept getting electricity from your house.

How are you planning to transmit that power thru buildings, terrain, cars, etc?

How are you going to keep the focus aimed at your bike's receiver *precisely*?

(without cooking things in between you and the source, or yourself if the aim goes off)

can you fly a kite and steer at the same time?Pray for stormy weather.

No one has heard about Intel developing this technology? I don't know how they do it but apparently it's possible. Does anyone have one of those Soniccare electric toothbrushes? Somehow, the charger is all plastic and so is the toothbrush but I put the toothbrush in the charger and it charges up despite the lack of visible metal prongs anywhere. I don't know how it charges it. The electricity must be traveling through the air somehow? I know it sounds crazy. What if electricity could travel through the air like radio waves? Then it would definitely be possible.

Think we have a winnaaagh for your most ridiculous thread yet Morph... :mrgreen:

I think you should try a DIY version Morph...I have an idea in mind, involves you in a bumper car on a stormy night with lots of lightening..

KiM

morph999 said:
No one has heard about Intel developing this technology? I don't know how they do it but apparently it's possible. Does anyone have one of those Soniccare electric toothbrushes? Somehow, the charger is all plastic and so is the toothbrush but I put the toothbrush in the charger and it charges up despite the lack of visible metal prongs anywhere. I don't know how it charges it. The electricity must be traveling through the air somehow? I know it sounds crazy. What if electricity could travel through the air like radio waves? Then it would definitely be possible.
It *does* travel thru the air *as* radio waves. Not necessarily at radio frequencies, but it is the same thing--induction.

That's how inductive heating stoves work, and it's how any inductive charger works.

But those are all close-proximity devices, as the power loss increases exponentially with distance, IIRC. In general those types of chargers are also not focused, so they will scatter power across a wide path, making them even less efficient.

In order to actively run an ebike from such a thing farther away than you could practically run an extension cord, you would most likely require more power input to the transmitter than you could get into the house wiring in the first place.

If you beamed that power using microwave (radio waves, basically) transmission for better efficiency and ease of controlling it's direction, then you could cook things with the beam that were between the bike and the source.

So sure, you *could* do it, but not safely, not inside a city.

EDIT (ADDED): FWIW, I built a tricorder prop similar to the ones on Star Trek TNG back around the late 80's or early 90's (can't remember exactly when anymore), and built an inductive charger for the NiCd cells I used to run it's blinky lights. It worked pretty well until one day I guess I didn't put it on the charger right, and it induced heating into the batteries and exploded them. The previous version of it had exploded because I used a two-prong charger for it and accidentally reversed it (I forgot to install a protection diode).
View attachment Tricorders.jpg

Around San Francisco, they have a lot of overhead trolley wires that run 600vdc. If you had an EV car, you could tap into those. Charge your battery and run at the same time.

Transmitting power through the air like Tesla did would never be allowed today. The electromagnetic field strength needed for useful power transmission would be way above the allowable safety threshold. I don't think it was very efficient either.

For very short distances, an inductive coupling like an electric toothbrush works fine. Just drop your bike into the 'charger base' after a ride and it automatically starts charging. No wires to mess with.

But you would probably have to wait a week for it to fully charge or longer. Not very efficient

If I am remembering well, I think Tesla was attempting to transmit electricity at a frequency equal to the natural frequency of a particular layer of the atmosphere.

Tesla was all about resonance. Almost all of his experiments utilized resonance to get an "amplifying" effect.

Supposedly, he was going to send the EM wave into the atmosphere, which would then travel around the planet. Each time around, more power could be added.

And, supposedly, if one built a suitable receiver tower, one could extract the power. Which means anybody with even a little know-how could swipe your power for free. Not a particularly favorable situation to power producers.

i gotta find the paper i read on tesla a while back . ooo heres a good tidbit
Tesla demonstrated "the transmission of electrical energy without wires" that depends upon electrical conductivity as early as 1891. The Tesla effect (named in honor of Tesla) is a term for an application of this type of electrical conduction (that is, the movement of energy through space and matter; not just the production of voltage across a conductor).[21]:174[55]

iirc he made it work and was working to weaponize it, yet another brilliant person that thought he had a weapon to end all wars. from what ive seen lately the US Air force has his idea currently deployed as a "laser" and is using it to shoot down ballistic missiles. this was all about the same time he was marginalized as a wack job for marching around chanting the number 3

It does look possible but ill err on the side of caution and go with good ol batteries for now as i kinda like my brain the way it is. To many geniuses that work with high power electromagnets seem to "change" :shock:

Man, imagine running into one of methy's "wireless" charger beams. I don't think I have to repost the YouTube video of the Indian guy on top of the train do I? :shock: Great thread Morph, keep em comin'!!

I know there is some smart people so I want people to get working on this stuff. We need exciting lives. This is going to be a fun year for me once I get my lifepo4 battery. I'll have tons of mobility. I don't like walking but riding around the neighborhood is really fun.

random story....you don't need to read this:

I went to one of the top 3 engineering schools in the country, then I found out that engineering just wasn't for me so I left. That's for another story but I met this guy who got a near perfect score on his SAT. He got 1500 out of 1600. He was so smart. I would take him my chemistry problems and he would be able to picture the chemical model in his hand and figure out the answer. I don't know how he did it. Tragically, he died a few months into my first year at the college. He had this idea that humans only needed to sleep once every 2 days. I remember walking to class and he walking back and telling us that sleep was only needed once every two days. He was so passionate about this idea. He stayed up for 2 days and then went to meet a girl that he met over the internet and he fell asleep at the wheel on the way to meet her.

When I was working at Goldstone (a NASA tracking site in So. California) during the mid-late 70's, another JPL site had successfully transmitted 34kw over a distance of 1.5km (0.9 miles). It didn't take me long to find reference to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O44WM1Q9H8

that is a cool bit of video .

but sorry morph did you see the size of that dish ?

if anyone aims that at me while im on a bike ill be sure to not be on my bike for long . one way or another :wink:

enoob said:
but sorry morph did you see the size of that dish ?
The dish was 26m (85.3 ft.) in diameter. The 26m antenna I operated at Apollo site has a beam width of 0.5 degrees at 2.3Ghz.

Any idea can sound far fetched, even laughable-yet we might someday just do it.

Imagine today, if we just discovered electricity.

Imagine that we could get electricity to every home, business or factory in the US, all we will have to do is string wires from a main power station, like a giant spider web, to everyones house or building. We could just put them up high on long wooden poles soaked in creosote. All we need to do is to create "easements" that encroach onto private property to give access. We could hire guys with boots with spikes to climb the poles if they had to work on the connections, or block traffic with bucket trucks.

And to save money, we could send the power down the busy streets and cozy neighborhoods at 13,600 volts on very thin wires with no insulation, which will save money. Then, we could hang large transformers off some of the poles we stick in peoples back yards and then turn down the power to 120 volts, at 200 or 300 amps (that ought to be enough power for a typical family) and we could then hook the wires to their roofs, then run a pipe down the side of every house too, so we can get the wires inside.

We could even get fancy later and bury the wires in folks back yards without any markers! Imagine the looks on their faces if they struck one of these babies with a shovel whilst planting a tree! :lol: Of course, we would have to fine the person later. :|

But, that way, the neighborhood will look better and we wont have to worry about the wires snapping and falling on the ground from wind or ice, where people or little kids might touch them and die.

Here ya go Morph. This link shows the whole electromagnetic spectrum. Notice the house is near the bottom. Longer wavelength = lower frequency. That is why the lower the freq. the bigger the antenna. The US. uses 60 Hz. for grid power. A car radio is 100 Mhz, visible light is umm :?: it's on the chart . All radio waves. Cool stuff. But, Dangerous to play with unless you know how.http://www.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/ALSTool/EMSpec/EMSpec2.html

wow. I thought it had to be possible. I trust Tesla. If he thought it was possible, I believe him. Pretty soon, maybe we'll have electric cars and we'll just pull over to the side of the road and let it charge via a nearby power station but without even connecting any wires.

morph999 said:
I'm going to throw this out for free. I just thought of it. You know how a few companies are developing wireless electricity? What if you wired your bike and house to be able to transfer electricity from your house to your bike about 5 to 10 miles away? It has to be possible. Tesla was doing something like that and now I think GE is developing the technology or is it Intel ? You could ride around forever as long as your kept getting electricity from your house.

I know I am going to take crap for this, so be it!

Morph, you are right... this actually is possible and yes Tesla was one of the first (semi) modern (ie: from our more recent times) too determine how to accomplish this.

Im not saying this is possible tommorow, next week or next year but...

Anyone who studies so called "fringe physics" or physics which can be proven but are on the very edge of being odd or sci-fi would know about lay lines or natural occurances of pathways within the earth itself forming a kind of weak or sparse energy distribution network. The true "physics" explaination of this natural phenomonon are complicated but have to do with various mineral types combined with natural aquifurs forming channels of electrodes which permit conduction of electrical energy within the earths surface in much the same way as a wire would)

Most "knowledgable" persons dismiss this measurable (yes, measurable by current legitimate and accepted scientific methods - use google) as BS because it's also known many of the "magical" places like the Pyramids and Stonhenge, etc are built to fall on these lines.

All that aside, Tesla had discovered and others have demonstrated (at the 47 worlds fair I think) the transmission of electricity using no wires (using the earth as a conductor) but the funding which tesla had been receiving was pulled (I can't remember who it as, I want to say rockafeller but I know it wasn't... someone here will know) because the idea Tesla embraced was FREE ELECTRICITY for all... this didn't fit with the profit hungry backers and investors (gee, wonder how much else we have lost as a people for this same reason) and left Tesla as a foot note who made lightning machines (FAR FROM THE TRUTH).

So yes... it could be possible to energize an "Area" and draw energy for all kinds of uses (Houses, Cars, Bikes, iPhones) from this energized area... I believe it's a principal simliar to an inductor (cordless toothbrush that charges without electrodes).

-Mike

tesla's plan iirc was to tap into the same energy source that charges the planet iself . the static charge the planet gets from particles emited from the sun passing through the planet and atmosphere. his idea of free energy was to build his "tesla tower" and draw it (electricty) from the upper atmosphere. so the theory put forth says, never seen it myself.

problem is you need a tower more than 2000 feet high and anything that high in north america is not legal without gov approval and oversight . puts you in controlled airspace. which sparks the fire of conspiracy, why the law ill put a beacon up there.

i dont seem to recall it being such a wide area that one could drive around in it. and i would still be rather nervous about living in a "charged" environment.

have you seen that fredrick lynch vid ?

Seen the vid.

Your right to some extent, but that was only one of Teslas inventions and again it as using the earth as a transmission conduit or wire but yes that particular experiment was putting a tower very high up to collect energy...

There are thousands of other experiments (only some we know about) that likely succeeded or were at worst on the right track but there was and is no commercial benefit.

Don't you think we would have 1 of the 100s of alternative fuel motors which NASA and the government hold the patent rights to under Eminent Domain if someone could make money off it? Do you think we would be toying around with hybrid series drive cars and crap, 100K hydrogen fuel cells? - Nope. Honestly, if we were a society (government) really interested in renewable and free resources ... our eBikes would be the SUVs of power (ok, stretching but you get the idea).

I digress... really I'm only pointing out that the technology has existed for at a minimum of over 100 years and as with all tech, it requires better understanding and more refinement to truly harness even a fraction of it's potential.

Lets just all hope I am as smart as I think I am, and that I am right about 2012 being the start of our new Silver Age (no I'm not some astrological nut, don't believe in it actually... but do believe in a 24 to 26K year cycle) or guys we have about 2-12 years to enjoy our eBikes and then none of it will matter (mostly kidding)

-Mike

Back