FAA Issues Lithium Battery Fire-Safety Alert

The Stig

100 kW
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704657304575540264142599350.html

Federal aviation regulators, as part of a safety alert stressing fire hazards posed by lithium batteries, urged airlines on Friday to take special precautions when transporting such shipments on cargo aircraft.

The Federal Aviation Administration's warning reflects escalating concern about the flammability of bulk shipments of widely used rechargeable batteries in the holds of cargo planes after a recent crash in Dubai. The FAA's action, while it stops short of ordering packaging, handling or paperwork changes, provides the clearest indication yet that the Transportation Department is moving to finalize mandatory rules to reduce such air-cargo hazards.

The FAA's alert, intended for all U.S. airlines and charter operators, emphasizes that recent research highlights the threat of such batteries overheating and creating a so-called "thermal runaway." That's when batteries not involved in an initial fire may ignite and spread the flames, which the FAA said could end up "creating a risk of a catastrophic event."

The agency's safety bulletin also indicates that current fire-suppression chemicals used on most jetliners have been demonstrated as "ineffective in controlling" fires involving certain types of lithium batteries. The majority of cargo jets don't have advanced fire-suppression systems in their main cargo holds

As interim steps, the agency recommends better identification and tracking of lithium-battery cargo shipments, along with "special attention to ensuring careful handling" of such goods. Government and outside experts believe that limiting the number of batteries in a cargo container, or the total number on a plane, can substantially reduce risks

The safety bulletin also notes that the FAA and other parts of the Transportation Department are "considering additional" actions to reduce the risks.

In its explanation for issuing the safety alert, the FAA went further than before in specifically advising airlines that a United Parcel Service Inc. cargo jet that crashed in Dubai last month after an intense onboard fire was carrying large quantities of lithium batteries.

While the investigation of that crash is still underway and no formal findings have been released, the FAA said it was "prudent to advise operators" about the cargo. Both UPS pilots perished in the crash, after dense smoke in the cockpit apparently blocked the view of some instruments and the plane failed to line up correctly for an emergency landing.

Certain types of lithium batteries already are banned from the holds of passenger jets. And pilot groups have been pushing for years for more-stringent safeguards covering cargo planes.

Government action has been opposed by a broad coalition of rechargeable battery suppliers, cellular phone manufacturers, other makers of electronic devices and retail industry groups. UPS and other cargo carriers also have raised complaints about proposed Transportation Department rules. Pressure from such industry groups—including appeals to White House officials about the cost of special packaging and mandatory installation of advanced fire-suppression systems on all big cargo jets—has complicated and delayed government rulemaking.

Though it isn't binding on carriers, the FAA's latest move underscores the desire of top agency safety officials to act on battery-fire hazards. Until formal rules are issued, the FAA said, "carriers should consider adopting the action recommended" based on the latest research and analysis.

Are they going to put restrictions on LIQUID FUEL that planes carry, so when they crash, they won't burn. :roll: :roll:

Just gotta love this "protectionist" world. We are from the Govt., and we are here to HELP and PROTECT you. :roll: :roll:

So in other words.. not time to order the boatload of zippy flightmax batteries yet. :)

Ahhh........ I JUST put in my order last night for 30ah of lipo at HK. It's going EMS parcel.....

I hope it's not held up...

No, now is the time to order because the future may be more bleak!

Evoforce said:
No, now is the time to order because the future may be more bleak!

I dunno if you're joking or not, but HobbyKing seems too good to stay around for long.
The alternative for me is to spend $106 locally for a $35 5s 5000mAH zippy flightmax pack. Or order one online from the USA for a similar price.

scary to think that my $160 pack could have cost $400 when you add the white devil's markup O_O

Hmm, well then I might be doing well getting them lipo now then. If it wasn't for shipping, then they would be an absolute steal at $46 for a 6s 5ah 25c Zippy.

Is it normal for HK to have your order status as "pending" when you pay with Paypal? I did the "Pay Later" option and only the funds in my PP account were used, there wasn't any transaction in my checking account to cover the difference.

I hate being in limbo. Hopefully my batteries are still in stock when this go through.

veloman said:
Hmm, well then I might be doing well getting them lipo now then. If it wasn't for shipping, then they would be an absolute steal at $46 for a 6s 5ah 25c Zippy.

Is it normal for HK to have your order status as "pending" when you pay with Paypal? I did the "Pay Later" option and only the funds in my PP account were used, there wasn't any transaction in my checking account to cover the difference.

I hate being in limbo. Hopefully my batteries are still in stock when this go through.

I know what you mean about being in limbo. My !@#^@$ ebike project has been in limbo for 2 months due to almost every company i dealt with delaying me with bad/faulty parts, bad/faulty work, shipping issues, ETC.

Hobbyking is the only company that came through with my $500 order of batteries, chargers, etc. And fast at that! but not so good at updating order status.

FAA still has not enacted new regulations, but i would expect that to be soon.

i though hobby king was gonna create a warehouse for local shipping in the US so the packs will come surface to that point, UPS surface after that, imo.

i found out more about the UPS dubai crash. turns out that it was a 2 person crew, one of the pilots left the flight deck when the fire was discovered 1/2 hour into the flight, but he never returned to the flight deck so was likely overcome immediately.

the remaining pilot could not handle the workload by himself with no visibility ended up missing the runway on final approach.

I did a search for usa warehouse and couldn't find at batteries, mostly just planes. It would be nice if they sent a good selection of 5ah lipo over.

Check again Veloman.. Lipo is in stock in the US warehouse according to my search.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/US.asp?HobbyKing_USA_Hobby_Warehouse
If it is like the Aus W/hs , the stock will change and increase daily. 2 weeks ago in Aus there was no Lipo, now they have the full range.
and yes, delivery is by surface freight ( mine arrived today... 3 days after placing the order !)

Hillhater said:
Check again Veloman.. Lipo is in stock in the US warehouse according to my search.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/US.asp?HobbyKing_USA_Hobby_Warehouse
If it is like the Aus W/hs , the stock will change and increase daily. 2 weeks ago in Aus there was no Lipo, now they have the full range.
and yes, delivery is by surface freight ( mine arrived today... 3 days after placing the order !)

I tried finding a link to the usa warehouse, but couldn't. It's too late now, I placed my order on Friday.

However! It seem HK is either not processing my order or not updating it. It still says unpaid, even though my paypal account shows a completed payment to them for the full amount.

Is this normal??? I've tried calling HK, the phone just rings and rings..... I have no idea what's going.

veloman said:
I tried finding a link to the usa warehouse, but couldn't. It's too late now, I placed my order on Friday.

However! It seem HK is either not processing my order or not updating it. It still says unpaid, even though my paypal account shows a completed payment to them for the full amount.

Is this normal??? I've tried calling HK, the phone just rings and rings..... I have no idea what's going.

You have bad luck, don't you!
They are not good about updating status at all. My order took 1 week and i got updates after the fact, lol.

Don't trust the press much... original FAA Safety Alert for Operators here:
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2010/SAFO10017.pdf
A SAFO contains important safety information and may include recommended action. SAFO content should be especially valuable to air carriers in meeting their statutory duty to provide service with the highest possible degree of safety in the public interest. Besides the specific action recommended in a SAFO, an alternative action may be as effective in addressing the safety issue named in the SAFO.
Subject: Risks in Transporting Lithium Batteries in Cargo by Aircraft
Purpose: To alert operators to the recent findings from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) William Hughes Technical Center testing results from April 2010 to September 2010. The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), in coordination with the FAA, is considering the best course of action to address the risk posed by lithium batteries. In the interim, carriers should consider adopting the actions recommended at the end of this document.
Background: Lithium batteries are currently classified as Class 9 materials under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) (49 CFR 180 185). Nonetheless, most lithium batteries and devices are currently classified as excepted from the Class 9 provisions of the HMR. Because of this exception, they do not require a Notice to the Pilot in Command (NOTOC) to alert the crew of their presence on-board an aircraft.
Testing conducted by the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center (FAA Tech Center) indicates that particular propagation characteristics are associated with lithium batteries. Overheating has the potential to create thermal runaway, a chain reaction leading to self-heating and release of a battery’s stored energy. In a fire situation, the air temperature in a cargo compartment fire may be above the auto-ignition temperature of lithium. For this reason, batteries that are not involved in an initial fire may ignite and propagate, thus creating a risk of a catastrophic event. The existence and magnitude of the risk will depend on such factors as the total number and type of batteries on board an aircraft, the batteries’ proximity to one another, and existing risk mitigation measures in place (including the type of fire suppression system on an aircraft, appropriate packaging and stowage of batteries, and compliance with existing requirements contained within both FAA and PHMSA regulations).
We note as well that United Parcel Service Flight 006 crashed in the United Arab Emirates on September 3, 2010. Investigation of the crash is still underway, and the cause of the crash has not been determined. We are aware, however, that the plane’s cargo did include large quantities of lithium batteries and believe it prudent to advise operators of that fact.
Discussion of Continued Research: The FAA Tech Center has continued its research into lithium battery fires and the packaging, processes, and systems that can mitigate lithium battery fires aboard aircraft.1
1 Past findings related to lithium battery research have been published in the following FAA Technical Center Reports:

Lithium metal batteries are highly flammable and capable of ignition. Ignition of lithium metal batteries can be caused when a battery short circuits, is overcharged, is heated to extreme temperatures, is mishandled, or is otherwise defective. Once a cell is induced into thermal runaway, either by internal failure or by external means such as heating or physical damage, it generates sufficient heat to cause adjacent cells to go into thermal runaway. The result of thermal runaway in a lithium metal cell is a more severe event as compared to a lithium-ion cell in thermal runaway. The lithium metal cell releases a flammable electrolyte mixed with molten lithium metal, accompanied by a large pressure pulse. The combination of flammable electrolyte and the molten lithium metal can result in an explosive mixture. Halon 1301, the suppression agent found in Class C cargo compartments, is ineffective in controlling a lithium metal cell fire.
The explosive potential of lithium metal cells can easily damage (and potentially perforate) cargo liners, or activate the pressure relief panels in a cargo compartment. Either of these circumstances can potentially lead to a loss of Halon 1301, allowing rapid fire spread within a cargo compartment to other flammable materials. For this reason, lithium metal cells are currently prohibited as bulk cargo shipments on passenger carrying aircraft.

FAA testing has shown that encased or enclosed lithium metal batteries may pose a safety risk. Two types of robust, readily available containers were tested at the FAA Tech Center: five gallon steel pails with crimp on gasketed lids, and 30 gallon steel drums with bolt closed ring seals and gasketed metal lids. For both types of container, as few as six loose CR2 lithium metal cells were sufficient to cause failure when induced into thermal runaway by an electric cartridge heater. The confined electrolyte and the molten lithium ignition source formed an explosive condition, forcefully separating the lid from the container. The explosive force in this test was likely high enough to cause physical damage to an aircraft’s Class C cargo compartment.
A container specially designed to ship lithium metal batteries would need to demonstrate that it can withstand this explosive condition. There are currently no approved and tested containers that can sufficiently contain the known effects of accidental lithium metal battery ignition. Common metal shipping containers, pails and drums, are not designed to withstand a lithium metal cell fire.

Our test results have also demonstrated that lithium-ion cells are flammable and capable of self-ignition. Self-ignition of lithium-ion batteries can occur when a battery short circuits, is overcharged, is heated to extreme temperatures, is mishandled, or is otherwise defective. Like lithium metal batteries, lithium-ion batteries can be subject to thermal runaway. A battery in thermal runaway can reach temperatures above 1,100 degrees F, which exceeds the ignition temperature of most Class A materials, including paper and cardboard. These temperatures are also very close to the melting point of aluminum (1,220 degrees F). The fire suppression system in Class C compartments, Halon 1301, has been shown to be effective in suppressing fires generated by lithium-ion batteries, but does not eliminate the risk of transporting such batteries.
DOT/FAA/AR-06/38 – Flammability Assessment of Bulk-Packed, Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Cells in Transport Category Aircraft
http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/06-38.pdf
DOT/FAA/AR-04/26—Flammability Assessment of Bulk-Packed, Nonrechargeable Lithium Primary Batteries in Transport Category Aircraft
http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/04-26.pdf
DOT/FAA/AR-09/55 –Flammability Assessment of Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Cells Designed for Aircraft Power Usage
http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/09-55.pdf

The complete results of the FAA Tech Center’s study, reported in summary form here, will be made available to the public and for peer review in the near future. The study has not yet been peer-reviewed.

Additional Research: The FAA Tech Center will continue research on improved cell separator materials to stop or slow down thermal runaway propagation. In addition, the Tech Center will research packaging materials to adequately control the properties lithium batteries exhibit in a fire condition. These methods, results, and findings will be subject to peer review.
Rulemaking: PHMSA issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) (75 FR 1302, January 11, 2010) with proposals to reduce the risks associated with the air transport of lithium batteries, and has submitted a final rule based on the NPRM to OMB for review. The Department of Transportation is concerned about the risk that lithium batteries pose to aviation safety in the event of an onboard fire. As a result of this concern, PHMSA and FAA are considering additional appropriate actions to address these safety risks.
The FAA and PHMSA have determined that carriers can now take prudent steps to reduce the risk that lithium batteries pose, which is why the FAA is issuing this safety alert.
Recommended Action: It is recommended that all air carriers institute additional procedures for safely transporting lithium batteries by aircraft:
1)
Request customers to identify bulk shipments of currently excepted lithium batteries by information on airway bills and other documents provided by shippers offering shipments of lithium batteries.
2)
Where feasible and appropriate, stow bulk shipments of lithium batteries in Class C cargo compartments or in locations where alternative fire suppression is available.
3)
Evaluate the training, stowage, and communication protocols in your operation with respect to the transportation of lithium batteries in the event of an unrelated fire.
4)
Pay special attention to ensuring careful handling and compliance with existing regulations covering the air transportation of Class 9 hazardous materials, including lithium batteries.
These recommendations are limited to lithium batteries transported in the cargo hold of an aircraft (including cargo holds that are not distinct from the flight deck), and do not apply to lithium batteries carried onboard by passengers and crewmembers, or otherwise stowed in the passenger cabin of the aircraft. These recommendations are not exclusive; we hope that carriers will use the information provided here and in our Tech Center study, together with any other available information, to consider other reasonable measures they believe appropriate to mitigate the risk of transporting lithium batteries by air.
Contact: Questions or comments concerning this SAFO should be directed to the FAA Office of Hazardous Materials, ADG-200 at 202-385-4897.

I added the emphasis
tks
LoCk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...plane-crash-in-light-of-Yemen-plane-bomb.html
Authorities in the United Arab Emirates previously believed the UPS flight crashed into a military base in the desert outside Dubai after lithium batteries in the hold caught fire.

But al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the group thought to be behind two parcel bombs found in Britain and Dubai ten days ago, also claimed responsibility for the earlier incident.

"Everything is possible," said Saif al-Suwaidi, director-general of the UAE's general civil aviation authority. "We are revisiting everything."

A bomb has always been considered a remote possibility for the crash.

The pilots were in contact with air traffic control in Bahrain after take-off and reported smoke in the cabin, but were unable to make it safely back to Dubai Airport, from where they had taken off.

Mr Suwaidi said there was still no evidence of links to terrorism, and clearly there had been no explosion.

Experts analysing the two packages found ten days ago say they contained enough explosive to blow a hole in the side of the planes.

However Mr Suwaidi said al-Qaeda's claims needed to be investigated until the claim was eliminated.

Meanwhile, airlines in the UAE including the Dubai-based Emirates have joined Britain and other western countries in banning Yemen-originated cargo from their flights. The decision is a blow to Yemen, which relies on Dubai as a major regional hub.

As well as the bomb found in Dubai, the bomb found at East Midlands Airport is also thought to have travelled through Dubai.

Back