107mph....bike broke in half...nearly died

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLRDRzMWIsg[/youtube]
^-- i believe this is the video.

Ahh, this is why people pay $10000+ for front forks :p

And people look at me like i'm crazy for wanting to do 30mph on my eBike.

OMG !!!

I just realized we both seem to have the same fork!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The sale i used for my 106kmh speed record!!!

Doc

Attachments

• Fork in danger.JPG
    Fork in danger.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,759
his frame broke,steering tube came off.well thats what i read somewhere.

these speeds are all impressive but pale in comparison to Fred Rompelberg, behind the dragster
on the Bonneville salt flats he his 268km/hr pedaling!!

http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp

KiM

His aero suit was pretty rad!

bigmoose said:
His aero suit was pretty rad!

Yeah, I was thinking of doing some lower leg foils like that for when I go to smash DocBass's speed record while he's hiding inside from the cold and can't do anything about it. :mrgreen: Do you think the puffy nature of that red suit is for some crash padding or is bulking up to walrus shape more aero? If the latter, maybe that helps explain my fast bikes even before I try more extreme voltage, since once I tuck all I need is a tailbox for a whale-like shape. 8)

You have some good questions John! The one time I tried a wet suit, I looked just like the Michelin tire man! Perhaps I have the perfect aero shape for a world bike speed record... downhill only! :D

I will have to look at the video better, perhaps it went "Poofy" from air entering the front closures or at the neckline? 100 mph is quite a blast. It was clear his helmet was aero only, that perhaps was a substantial mistake. The aero could have been applied to a good shell.

Having the wheels and the rest of the unsprung weight very light helps the suspension react rapidly to the machine-gun speed of cycling oscillations, but there's no reason on a downhill speed record to use a light frame. The frame should have been steel, and significantly re-inforced.

In one of the videos the rider indicated that is was the fork that failed and broke at what I think are called the crowns, so it wasn't the head tube breaking off the frame like I thought initially.

Just avoid riding straight down volcanos and you're ok Doc. Great clip though. You can almost see the thought balloon, Oh Oh, whopsie daisy.

spinningmagnets said:
Having the wheels and the rest of the unsprung weight very light helps the suspension react rapidly to the machine-gun speed of cycling oscillations, but there's no reason on a downhill speed record to use a light frame. The frame should have been steel, and significantly re-inforced.

That's what I was thinking. Why do you want a super lightweight carbon fiber frame if you're going downhill? Seems like a heavier frame would only help your terminal velocity (and not break apart).

And I thought I had a bad accident. :shock:

Back