Gas prices in your area??

Here in Honolulu the cheap gas is $3.51 a gallon. Gas prices are back on the steady climb to ? ( how high this time?) I have noticed I am seeing more bicycles now than I remember seeing in the past, and even an electric bikes one or two times a week, don't really know if its the higher gas prices or just a shift in some people wanting the exercise or a more sustainable transportation method.

I've seen 3.15 for regular here in the Portland area.

Here we go again.
Here comes the return of hypermiling, risky drilling, SUVs rusting away on used car lots, and special aerodynamically optimized versions of cars.

..and me laughing at people who just bought v6/v8 cars as if gas was going to stay below $3/gal.

It's funny how folks in the US groan and moan at the thought of US$4.00/gallon petrol prices as being some significant psychological milestone :roll:

In Major cities of Australia - fuel has been fluctuating between AU$1.25 > $1.35/litre for the last few months, and has averaged in this territory for over a year at least. Works out to be ~ US$4.73 > $5.11/US gallon. (AU/US currencies have been hovering around parity for the last few months).

How is it so high? The Australian Federal government taxes fuel at a fixed rate of AU$0.38143 per litre (US$1.44387 per US gallon) and then double-dips by taxing the already taxed price again with 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax). only 25% of this collected tax revenue goes into road infrastructure, the rest goes into general revenue. It's daylight robbery, but not as nasty as Europe where they are all used to being royally shafted worse again....

During the US$145/barrel fuel price spike on the eve of the GFC (July 2008), fuel prices around major Australian cities reached as high as the equivalent of US$7.02/US gallon based on the AU/US exchange rate of the time. How high did it go in the US?

I just looked at the price of 14/2 tonight, a 250' roll is going for over $50.00, that is a 20% increase from just a few months ago.

Gas here in San Diego is $3.50 for the cheap stuff, oh and 9/10 of a cent.

The reason people are out on bicycles, is the economy sucks. Gas is only one factor, the others are, rent, food, medical, you name it quite a few things have been going up faster then usual. Plus, it seems to be the "in" thing to do nowadays. Well I guess they have to, to save money and might as well make it a fad too.

Deron.

bionx 1954 said:
In Ottawa Canada we are paying $ 1.15-1.20 cdn./liter which is about $ 4.50 US for 1 US gallon

Same in Quebec city :(

in the week before and after christmas, i bot almost 50 gallons of gas for my cars and truck here by filling 3 gas jugs with a total of 9 gallons as well as filling the car i was driving, then carried the gas back home to fill the cars and truck here, and paid $2.84, 2.86 and 2.87 over 5 days. before the new 6 cent tax started jan 1st, and the cheapest station was a safeway in milwaukee with the 3 cent safeway card discount. cheap. my last sub $3 gas, ever, i expect.

i may not fill up my car again until march since i drive so little. i normally use less than 70 gallons/year. takes 40 gallons to drive home, 1250 mi.

Not something i watch as i have no car so i checked our West Aussie Governments
petrol price watch site and here's the latest figures...

View attachment fuel_Prices.JPG

Thats per liter prices...

KiM

Here in the UK it's currently around £1.27 per litre, which equates to around $1.96CDN per litre, $1.98AUS per litre or $7.88US per US gallon.

My guess is we probably top the world fuel price league, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. Even if fuel was $5US per US gallon I'd be envious of the very cheap gas you guys in the US have..........

As I was typing this the news has just announced that our fuel prices are about to rise (yet again) by a couple of pence per litre, so the figure above will need adjusting upwards in a week or so.............

Jeremy

Jeremy Harris said:
Here in the UK it's currently around £1.27 per litre, which equates to around $1.96CDN per litre, $1.98AUS per litre or $7.88US per US gallon.My guess is we probably top the world fuel price league,

Don't you be complain' now ol' boy, least you got the Ashes
t2338.gif

KiM

AussieJester said:
t2338.gif

KiM

Looks like we may be on track to take the final test match of the series, too. Generous move by you Aussies to make entrance for the last day of the series free, particularly as it looks like it might not be a pleasant day for Aussie cricket.

Jeremy

Just reached $3.00 here for regular. Pretty close to the gulf terminals still I guess. Going up fast though.

Gotta love the way they are putting it on just like last time. A few guys go on the news and say, oil will go up. Then they put some of thier excess cash into the spot market, essentially buying oil from themselves. Viola, oil did go up. Then the stampede to get on the ride begins and the big oil makes a fortune again on another bubble. They could give a rip if it bankrupts the rest of the delivery chain when the bubble pops.

And we are so dumb we do it over and over, cuz while the bubble grows we make money.

Jeremy Harris said:
AussieJester said:
t2338.gif

KiM

Looks like we may be on track to take the final test match of the series, too. Generous move by you Aussies to make entrance for the last day of the series free, particularly as it looks like it might not be a pleasant day for Aussie cricket.

Jeremy

I reckon if i sleeps in an extra 1/2 hour tomorrow i will miss the ending, unless it rains!!! could still be a draw LoL

Congrats to the Poms they deserved to win the series, they were the better team outplayed us in all aspects of the game..

Does anyone else notice increase in other products as a direct result of increased fuel prices....food, clothing etc etc? Surely if it cost more to get the products to the stores the consumer is going to pay for it? This is what makes me laugh a lil when people here rejoice at the higher oil prices, you
might not pay for fuel directly but your going to pay for it in directly when purchasing anything that is transported or contains
oil by products, which these days is just about everything, so can someone explain to me why its so great when oil prices go up again please?
i think i must have missed the memo.. :p

KiM

AussieJester said:
Does anyone else notice increase in other products as a direct result of increased fuel prices....food, clothing etc etc? Surely if it cost more to get the products to the stores the consumer is going to pay for it? This is what makes me laugh a lil when people here rejoice at the higher oil prices, you
might not pay for fuel directly but your going to pay for it in directly when purchasing anything that is transported or contains
oil by products, which these days is just about everything, so can someone explain to me why its so great when oil prices go up again please?

KiM

Potentially a big issue here, as the price of diesel is higher than the price of petrol. The haulage firms have been squealing about it for years, to no avail. I think the idea of putting the price of diesel duty up here was to try and force more goods on to the rail network, but it hasn't really worked. A lot of the transcontinental hauliers have just fitted massive diesel tanks to their trucks so they don't need to buy fuel in the UK, they buy it on the continent where diesel is much cheaper than petrol.

Jeremy

AussieJester said:

I will remind you. :)
The trending shows decreases in fuel consumption as fuel prices increase.
Likewise, additional shipping prices cause it to make more sense to buy a quality product once than to buy junk repeatedly (as seems to be the status-quo here).

Less trash. Less oil wasted on transportation(and goods shipping) that could be saved for racing. :)

AussieJester said:
I reckon if i sleeps in an extra 1/2 hour tomorrow i will miss the ending, unless it rains!!! could still be a draw LoL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/9343026.stm

Hope you had a long lie in, AJ, and missed it.............

liveforphysics said:
I will remind you. :)
The trending shows decreases in fuel consumption as fuel prices increase.
Likewise, additional shipping prices cause it to make more sense to buy a quality product once than to buy junk repeatedly (as seems to be the status-quo here).

Less trash. Less oil wasted on transportation(and goods shipping) that could be saved for racing. :)

Not much sign of a let up in car/truck use over here yet, if anything we seem more bound up in endlessly expanding consumerism than we ever have been.

One major problem for us is getting rid of the vast amounts of landfill rubbish this creates - being a small island we don't have big spaces to get rid of our waste. One barking mad consequence of this is that a lot of our consumer waste (old PCs, refrigerators etc) gets shipped to places like India for disposal, so using yet more oil to get rid of it.

Until we see a return to quality goods, that use resources wisely and that are repairable, so they can last for years, this won't change. A return to quality repairable goods would hit the sales sector, who want to promote the sale of stuff that fails within months of the warranty running out, but would create jobs in the service and repair sector.

What's needed is an incentive to make this happen. I don't think that incentive will be there until rampant inflation and rising costs of living in places like China, Korea and India push the price of their goods up. We've already seen this happen with Japan, back when I was a kid Japan was associated with cheap and shoddy goods, as China is now. As their domestic costs increased they had to shift to the quality end of the market, with a commensurate increase in the price of their goods.

Here's our latest news on fuel prices: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12127352

Apparently the average cost of filling a car fuel tank here has now risen to £63.50 (about $98.35 US or €74.50)

Jeremy

at 110 pence and pound where it is, that is $6.42/gallon here. i paid about $2.85/gallon or 44% of what you guys pay. we have higher per capita travel, but not that much.

i drive less than 1500 miles/year but if i drive home that is 1250 miles one way.

how far would that be in europe?

so the price is why people complain about how much it costs just to make it to dover to catch the channel tunnel.

does everybody stop in the cheap gas country in the eurozone before they get on the ferry? wyoming has low gas taxes and cheap gas. last gas i got for 99 cents was in wyoming. not even an old memory either. i saved the receipt for a long time, filled up for $10, 320 miles

Petrol (gasoline) is expensive pretty much all over Europe, the difference in price between the countries within easy driving distance of the UK is modest and hardly worth bothering to drive over a border to fill up. The really big price difference is diesel, it's around 2/3 to 1/2 the cost in some European countries compared to here, which is why long distance intercontinental trucks now have these big extra tanks fitted.

The job I had before my last one meant a 40 mile each way drive every day, the one before that was a 51 mile drive each way, so I was pretty used to driving around 20,000 miles plus every year (it's why I'm now on my second Prius). Now I'm retired I guess my mileage will come down to maybe 5,000 miles a year. Our holiday trip down to the South of France is around 800 miles each way, plus a few hundred miles of local travelling when we're down there.

Interesting that you could get fill up in Wyoming for around 1/10th of the cost it takes to fill up here, now.............

Jeremy

Can a car be run on milk? :lol:

I can get milk for under $3.00 a gallon. It seems really odd that something that is much more costly to produce is much cheaper.

Deron.

why do you think milk is more costly to produce? do you even know what the profit margin is for the gallon of gas produced by the refinery? why do you think they are closing?

not sure why all you guys think there is this international conspiracy. if it was possible to make gas cheaper, what would prevent someone from doing that and capturing the market. even though you pronounce these pro capitalist credentials, it is as though you don't even understand how it works.

rbob, feb11 closed at $2.4285, 42 gallons of oil/bbl which costs $89. where is this secret criminal conspiracy?

it really is too bad we as a country cannot tax it enuff to reduce demand and cause some of the oil to be conserved for a few more years, and if there was $4 in gas taxes such as in england, we could balance the federal budget and save the world at the same time.

free is free, gas should not be free. imho.

You are confusing what a barrel costs, with what a barrel sells for. You are correct that the cost of refining a barrel is pretty much fixed. Variations for types of crude, light sweet being cheapest to refine, tar sand the worst. As prices go up enough, the refiners do get stuck in the middle, with competition to keep wholesale gas low at the same time thier crude goes up. The station itself gets pinched even worse.

But the producers themselves have no reason at all to want the price lower for crude. So the history of oil producing is a long story of price manipulation. So I'm sure I belive it doesn't happen anymore. :roll: Sure, when sex and war don't happen anymore. :lol: Price manipulation of crude oil is like a force of nature. You can build a shelter but the storm ain't going away.

All I'm saying is the guys who sell the crude oil have the pockets deep enough to influence the market when they think the time is right. Then the rest of us lemmings see a trend money can be made on and do the rest. Then we get another price bubble, and the producers dance the treasure of the sierra madre jig.

I'm not saying the economy recovering enough for demand to stop dropping has nothing to do with it, it surely does. I'm just saying guys with mega billions and crude to sell in the future know when to put some money into the system and when not to. They aren't idiots that's for sure. It's not a conspiracy either, just a bunch of corporations who all have it figured out. Put money in when it goe up some, yank it out when it's falling. Same stuff the govt does to stabilize currencies basicly. They are just doing it with the commodity they sell. No conspiracy, just common sense on thier part. They have billions laying around anyway, and have to park it somewhere. So why not time the money movemets to help thier buisness?

Back