Printed bicycle

Its a very Miles-like type bike, an Aerospace Miles-Like bike if you will... :wink: :D

What the hell though, was that noise when he took off on it at
the end of the clip?

KiM

There is nothing new about 3-D "printing" We have had two printers in the "big lab" doing prototype solid lithography for 5 to 7 years, working relatively well and without extreme service. The printers are the "Dimension" series from http://www.stratasys.com/

Can they print glass or carbon fibers into the mix, or are they stuck with nylon? I've never been impressed with nylon's rigidity, or have I just not seen the good stuff?

As far as printing goes, I'm still waiting for printed flexible solar cells to become broadly available for a great price.

I can't see this being cost-effective for production of bikes, though it would be incredibly useful for rapid prototyping of parts.

There must be a way to make a smaller and rougher (read: "cheaper") 3D machine to make something like a foam blank over which composites are hand-laid. My local bike shop replaced a damaged carbon-fiber frame for a customer (cracked stays on one side from a crash), and then the shop sliced the less-damaged half off of the old frame to use as a display. Apparently some of them use a form that is an inflatable frame-shaped balloon, and I seem to remember the first layer is applied and hardened inside a frame-shaped die (not sure if 'die' is the correct word)

Once the first layer hardens into the proper shape, the die is removed and the carbon-fiber cloth is hand-laid in layers. Using this machine, perhaps it may someday be useful to avoid the "balloon and die" to make the first layer that creates the frame shape? A similar machine could cut a stiff/hollow foam shape to act as the form around which the cloth is applied. It might weigh a few grams more than the abandoned balloon inside the carbon frames, but if its much cheaper..."almost" as light as the other frames at half the price?

If a change was desired in the frame, its as quick as a computer screen drawing and FEA stress-projection away. No new expensive dies to be ordered and waited for...

I use 3d printing for my propellers prototyping.
First it's a very expensive thing, the powder is created by a few companies which are really holding prices. I use it at "speed modeling" to have some parts holding in time and with carbon fiber material
For the noise, if I've seen corectly (but this is really "funny") it should come from the bearings.. they seems to have "3d-print" it O_O

spinningmagnets said:
I can't see this being cost-effective for production of bikes, though it would be incredibly useful for rapid prototyping of parts.

I don't think the show was actually supposed to demonstrate a cost-effective manufacturing method for bikes, it was really to show people something made with this technology other than a weegee or framistat or something else they couldn't relate to. If you can make something as well-recognized as a bike, then maybe this machine could have some real utility, some time, somehow.

Cameron

Hehe... [bump]...

New technology on the road – 3D printed carbon fiber frame electric bicycle:
https://frptitan.com/3d-printed-carbon-fiber-frame-electric-bicycle/

Starts:
It is said that technology benefits people. With the continuous development of 3D printing technology, our travel tools are constantly being iterated and updated. It is reported that Arevo announced the launch of eBike last week – an electric assist bicycle with a 3D printed carbon fiber frame.

Arevo combines 3D printing with Web-based software, robotics, machine learning, and thermoplastic materials to print all-sized parts using a “deposition head” mounted on a robotic arm to create a 3D shape for the bicycle frame. The process not only allows the material to be layered in any direction, but the size of the parts is virtually unlimited, and it also allows eBike to be customized for individual riders and to print on a large scale when needed.

In addition, according to Areevo, the new bicycle is printed with a thermoplastic fiber embedded in carbon fiber, which is about five times heavier than titanium and only one-third the weight.

... w/a pic:
3D-printed-carbon-fiber-frame-electric-bicycle.jpg

:wink:

about five times heavier than titanium and only one-third the weight

Um. Now they're talking like right wingers.

^^ HAHA... Think perhaps they meant "five times stronger"? Just don't plan to repair it. :mrgreen:

Back