Sunday June 26th
Spent Friday afternoon at the Machinist assembling the trailer to the point where I could bring it home. It began to rain (no surprise there) but I wanted to wait for the shower to pass because I didnâ€™t have fenders on the trailer. Well, I ended up bringing it home in the rain and it was messy. Got that all wiped down and ready for working on it over the weekend.
Every time I stopped people on bikes or walking by remarked on the strange arrangement; they all thought it was pretty cool!
The Machinist called to tell me that I forgot to pick up all my sample parts â€“ the Phil Wood Bottom Bracket being the main item, therefore I spent the morning and afternoon fetching the rest of what needed doing before you do it: Glue, wrenches, foam padding, HDPE, wood sealer, zip ties, Velox rim tape, and oh yeah â€“ the Phil wood Bottom Bracket.
When I was heading out to the Machinist â€“ the traffic was light in downtown so I opened up the throttle and tore ass down the main drag. At the next light some guy pulls up next to me and asks me if thatâ€™s a bike Iâ€™m riding, and I say yeah itâ€™s an electric; he was exasperated â€“ saying â€œDid you know you were doing 35 mph back there?!?â€
And I kinda shrugged and said yeah. Then the light turned green so I hit it!
Got back home by 2 PM and the first thing I wanted to do was swap out from studded front hub with the new Disc Hub with the Hookworm tire. Decided this was a good time to upgrade the phase wiring in the hub. Took me what seemed like three hours to figure the best way to get â€˜r done and sealed back up. Iâ€™m sure I worked on other thingsâ€¦ Iâ€™m just too fatigued to recall right now.
This morning I was going to work on the trailer but the dang thing had a flat!
Spent the morning sourcing replacement tubes; none of the online shops are open on Sunday so it will need to wait till the morning.
Took the Hookworm tire off the rim to inspect the tube; it was a Maxxis just like the one on the rear tire that gave me the flat last Tuesday. I pulled that off and then laid down a layer of the fatty Velox rim tape right over the skinny Specialized plastic rim tape. Then added a Kenda Boxed Downhill Tube 26 x 2.4/2.75 (I have two of them). This is a beefier tube all around. Put the Hookworm back on, and reseated the whole assembly twice like the guy at REI suggested to reduce chance of pinch-flats. Done.
Next I finished the phase wiring and attached the USB-2 Micro-B connector to the Hall Effect signals, then made an adapter to link between the old and new HE cabling; hooked it all up with the new torque arm and turned the throttle. Nuttinâ€™ â€“ not even smoke. Dang. Normally Iâ€™d have a beer and think about it but then it dawned on me that the ebrake has been flakey; checked that and hit the throttle: It spins! Yea!! <whew!>
The next migraine was the disc brake: What a bugger this was! I suspect that the machining on the hub is not perpendicular to the axle because it took me the better part of an hour to figure out that the disc or the hub was warped. Regardless, I slapped a makeshift arrangement together and blasted into town looking for a post-mount front disc bracket for 203mm disc brake. I knew REI would have it, and I checked the other two bike shops, but the last one did have the bracket and the guy even had 0.20mm shims for the disc; Score! Took me another hour to finally get the disc into some sort of equilibrium to be useful. One done then I replaced the brake line and strung up a new one to the disc brake and tested it; all good (enough).
Reset the CA to the new hub and wheel. My freewheel speed has dropped from 53.5 mph to about 47.5 mph. I can only conclude that this has to do with the weight of the wheel, being a 2.5-inch wide fatty badass. The ride into town was interesting: I have more bottom-end, though it takes a little longer to ramp to top-speed; my thinking is two-fold: The studded tires slip trying to get a grip whereas the Hookworms do not slip at all, and it could be that the beefier phase wiring is allowing more current through to feed the launch. One artifact that is uniquely different is that my Regen has doubled! I was getting 7.1% in the city; itâ€™s never been that high ever â€“ mostly 5% at the very best.
One other strange item to report: There are no external markings on the FH other than the E-Bikekit logo, unlike the Ebikes motors which have either a sticker and/or stamped printing which indicates the size and wind. While replacing the phase wiring I did notice some writing on the circumference of the stator which said â€œ8 x 7â€. I hope this does not mean I have a 2807.
The last item: This front hub is really loud and growls with a lower frequency over my last hub; I attributed this to the harmonics of the hub covers. The handling of the bigger tire caught me off guard â€“ but I got it sorted out; itâ€™s a monster and really grips the road well now.
Itâ€™s 9 PM and I still havenâ€™t touched the trailer. I need to finish the mods to the bike though. All the bike shops are booked out for a week, so itâ€™s me doing the twiddlingâ€¦ and Iâ€™m kinda pokey cos I want to get it right.
Thatâ€™s it for now; time for dinner and a movie.