Back in the Saddle: Going to California: 2011

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Re: Back in the Saddle: Going to California: 2011

Post by Kingfish » Aug 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Today I took the bike out without the trailer and I had to relearn how to ride it; without all that weigh it seemed like far too much power for that little frame. By the end of the day though I was hot-rodding around Redmond giving the streets hell :twisted:

Not much success with the Internet today; I tried again to fix the router but it's a lost cause. I expect to be back online by Friday when my service gets moved to the new digs.

Not much else to report; just getting my stuff sorted and making ready to move.
~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

deVries
1 MW
1 MW

Post by deVries » Aug 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Kingfish wrote:Not much success with the Internet today; I tried again to fix the router but it's a lost cause. I expect to be back online by Friday when my service gets moved to the new digs.
Hey, you can always write & save your posts into a text file if the creative juices flow... get your pics loaded into a directory for upload... :D though moving has got to put a damper on that to some extent. :P

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Aug 26, 2011 10:54 am

Internet access was setup yesterday at the new digs, however I hates typing on the floor. The move should be completed Saturday and I'll be able to "write" with normalcy.

The one advantage to moving is that I get to reorganize and sort out what is of value and part with what is obsolete. Still, this room is devoid of living space, and there is much left to do. Be patient; at least I have a real computer to work with again :)

Cheers, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Rassy
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Rassy » Aug 27, 2011 10:09 pm

So today my buddy from Medford and I took a little trike ride to the market in Langlois, a little town North of Port Orford, for one of their world famous hot dogs.

http://www.langloismarket.com/

Just as we were getting ready to leave on our trikes, the two guys that had parked their large older Honda motorcycles next to us, came out. One of them had a bunch of questions about my trike, and in the course of the conversation, he mentioned the bicycle with a trailer he had recently seen, going down a hill at about 40 MPH and pedaling. He then described your ride to a tee. :D
-Rassy-
One Tadpole Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=69419
One Delta Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1291260

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Aug 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Rassy wrote:So today my buddy from Medford and I took a little trike ride to the market in Langlois, a little town North of Port Orford, for one of their world famous hot dogs.

http://www.langloismarket.com/

Just as we were getting ready to leave on our trikes, the two guys that had parked their large older Honda motorcycles next to us, came out. One of them had a bunch of questions about my trike, and in the course of the conversation, he mentioned the bicycle with a trailer he had recently seen, going down a hill at about 40 MPH and pedaling. He then described your ride to a tee. :D
:lol: Yes, I suppose I could legitimally take credit for that one ;)

I'm still not fully moved in yet. Big items remain inxluding the desk, table, sofa, and center part of the E.C. all of which need two men & a boy :(

So I'm still camped out at the old digs for one more night.

Plenty tired of this moving business, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Aug 28, 2011 8:32 pm

IT'S OFFICIAL:
I have moved the sofa (place to sleep)
And the dining table (place to work)
And the coffee pot (java!java!java!java!)

Thus - I have moved from one hovel to another slightly more stylized hovel.

Now I can finally get down to the business of doing business :D
There's still a bit of cleanup, unpacking, and unloading to Goodwill... but the vast majority is completed. New digs looks very cool indeed! A chance to reorganize :)

Quaffing quarts quietly in celebration, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

beast775
100 kW
100 kW

Post by beast775 » Aug 28, 2011 8:53 pm

im excited for the travel log finishing touches.id read a whole script for sure,i like yer writing style.thanks.
2 FINGER SALUTE TO ESSO.no buying gasoline for 7 years now.
I spent all my money on bicycles women and beer the rest i just wasted.

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Aug 28, 2011 9:15 pm

beast775 wrote:im excited for the travel log finishing touches.id read a whole script for sure,i like yer writing style.thanks.
Gosh <kick pebble> thanks most kindly :) I have been thinking quite a bit what to write and how to scribe it as I have been moving my goods and archives... like a narrative in my head. Thankfully I am blesswd (or cursed depending on the situation) with a near photograghic memory, so retention is not an issue - unless there is diress, like heat, water-stress, um... hangover... normal human stuff that makes life difficult ;)

Regardless, it with hope that I may continue the dialog in earnest tomorrow evening - if not sooner :)

Best regards to all, where ever your journey takes you! KF :D
ADDENDUM: 23:13 - We is alive and online, hardwired and actualized! 25 MB/s up and down: Yeah baby give it to me! :twisted:

ADDENDUM #2: Monday 8/29 ~ 13:27 - I am still moving. Actually cleaning up old digs and staging for Salvation Army and Recycle pickups. I think today will be the last of it though, at least for that old place. I'll still need to unpack and sort out my situation in the new place though; it's going to be a while before I can get to ebike parts, or to my clothes for that matter :| But, at least I can relax at night and watch Netflix :)
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Aug 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Backfill #7
Part 1: Getting Ready for the Return

This particular backfill begins after #6; Tuesday August 9th Pioneer to Fresno. As a particularly long chronicle, I have decided to post it in parts for better organization.

Being late of start, my time in Fresno if I had kept to the schedule would have me leave on Friday August 12th after only two days’ rest. This was impossible for it took me a day to recover from the effects of heat stroke alone, and it would not allow me enough time to coordinate visitation with my family tribe or with my best friends, therefore I added an extra day to my rest and planned to head out Saturday, August 13th.

On Wednesday the 10th, I spent most of my time writing down the details and backfilling the previous day’s events since Bend, Oregon. My half-sistor took me out to Me-N-Ed’s Pizza Parlor at Herndon/West, and I pretty much scarfed down a whole medium pie by myself and likely a ½ gallon of water with it. I was so dehydrated from the previous day that my body hadn’t urinated more than a dribble in the past 24 hours, thus the effort was made to overtly drink liquids frequently through the day (and actually the practice remained for the rest of the trip, even if the amount was small). By Thursday afternoon I began to feel human again, though the ravenous thirst continued for much longer.

Friday, I moved my operations from my brother’s to my pal’s house and then we spent the afternoon finding stuff to affect repairs to the bike and running errands; Radio Shack, Bank, beer. Oh, did I say beer? :D Forgive me but Fresno has one of the finest microbreweries in the county: Sequoia Brewing Company. Um well… OK, perhaps it is the only microbrewery in the county – but it’s really quite good and let me tell you how to get there:
  • Take any heading towards Fresno. You want to go to the Tower District which is nestled between Van Ness and Palm Avenues and bisected by Olive Avenue. It is a small liberal hamlet, a vestige carved out in the late 1920’s and 30’s just south of Fresno City College (at the time called Fresno State Collage), and is the arty heart of the city formed around the old Tower Theatre; a tall art deco spire-crested movie house built in 1939. Many of the homes surrounding the area are stylized as small English-storybook homes with highly pitched roofs, or Dutch-influenced cottages, with faerie accents, friendly gnomish-inspired topiaries, under tall street-lined sycamore canopy. If I won the lotto and moved back to Fresno, I’d have a house near here! The Brewpub pins down the second corner of the Theatre lot facing Olive Avenue; you can’t miss it. We enjoyed a couple of pints of award-winning thirst-quenching brew.
Saturday morning we got up early and I finally got around to doing maintenance and repairs. Lucky for me the heat index in Fresno was below 100°F for the entire stay, least I would melt into a puddle; the weather felt like mid-October rather than mid-August… strange. The downside to all this activity meant that I would be leaving far later than planned and I did not get to all the modifications. My friends fed me twice to be sure I was preloaded with carbs.
  • Replacement tubes: On Wednesday I placed an order for inner tubes to replace the backups and rushed the delivery; these arrived Friday evening despite being marked as overnight-priority with delivery guaranteed by 3 PM Friday; UPS does not honor this if delivering to a residence. These were unboxed and packed within the trailer.
  • 2nd-Motor Throttle cutout Problem: One theory for why the rear hub would cut out was that the blade contact within the Molex connector was insufficient; therefore I removed the wires from the plug and created a dedicated M/F bullet-type link which should eliminate all flakey contact.
  • Cleaning: Degreasing and washing down the bike and trailer felt good and rewarding; nothing like a spiffy-looking machine to impress my fellow friends in San Francisco. :)
Finally, I departed about 11:30 AM. The exact route to Santa Cruz I had discussed both with my brother and with my pal. There were really only direct two ways to go: via Pacheco Pass or Panoche Pass; the mileage was about the same regardless of the route. Brother had taken the Panoche Road back in the 1970’s on a cross-country trek to Carmel and back and had warned me that the road was compacted dirt for part of the way. We had discussed the alternate route via Pacheco Pass though it too has issues, namely that it is a very high-traffic Highway 152, and yet – we know this road very well. The big question and unknown was the condition of Panoche Pass Road (J1) after 40 years. The Plan, as discussed with my brother then was to take Pacheco Pass and spend the night in Gilroy, being a known quantity despite the high risk. However, my buddy told me that they had just taken Pacheco Pass Road last year and it was paved all the way between Mendota to Hollister; He said it had some rough spots – but that it was nothing I couldn’t handle. To add humor, he suggested that Panoche translates from Spanish as “Night Bread”, and started calling it “Night Bread Road”. Finally he convinced me that Night Bread Road would be a lot safer than taking Pacheco Pass, and with that – I had to agree, and in doing so determined which direction to leave: North and West, or South and West. Mea West once said: “Given the choice between two evils, I’ll take the one I haven’t tried.” And so – I gambled.

Don't go away... KF :wink:
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Aug 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Backfill #7
Part 2: Fresno to Hollister - Across the Valley

Leisurely heading south past Roeding Park, I ambled down below Whites Bridge Road at Brawley Avenue, to Madison Avenue/Kearney Blvd before turning west. My thinking was to parallel Hwy 180/Whites Bridge Road all the way past Kearny Park and through Kerman. This worked out quite well being a road far less traveled and lined with tall palms that shaded my journey during midday.

Funny story about Kearny Park: When I was in the Cub Scouts we had a tour of Kearny Park. Somewhere off in the distance I recalled a band play. Being curious I wandered off to discover an amphitheater, thus I climbed over to inspect and low and behold – who do I see but my older sistor and her best friend, all hippied-out with beads, big hair, and mod-clothing. The surprise was mutual: “What are you doing here?!?” Mine was easy enough to explain. They however came out to see Paul Revere and the Raiders which I thought was “groovy”, and I told them so. My sistor just called me a dork and waved me off. She wuz right; I wuz a dork, and probably still am. :roll:

Kearney Blvd borders the north side of the namesake County Park which had an attendant at the entrance which discouraged my desire to explore more thoroughly; I kept on a westward bead happy to be in the shade. The sky was lightly covered with very high thin clouds and this had a pleasant shading effect of knocking down the heat two notches. Along this path I noted that the air was more humid, particularly when I rode past a flooded orchard; I was grateful for any reduction in heat at whatever the price.

Passing through Kerman was uneventful; it is a small town resembling more of a bedroom community rather than of farm origins with some stately homes gated by high walls. What sort of crime occurs here that they should need these high walls so far removed from any other town? Kearney Blvd, or now more appropriately a “farm road” ends with a sharp right turn heading north as Shasta Avenue, and ½ mile later crosses Whites Bridge Road. It was an easy left-hand turn to make; traffic was light, the road was in excellent condition and with ample wide margins. The wind was light, the heat was rising, and I have a very long straight stretch of very flat farmland before me; the Coast Range Mountains are just coming into view through the Valley Haze. Where orchards have given way to field crops, the heat rises proportionally, yet there is enough humidity that I no longer require the use of Chap Stick. The downside though is that there are no trees for shade. Too subtle for the eye, the road is heading downwards to the bottom of the Valley. Small details provide clues: crops yield to weedy range grasses and bleached soils with occasional reedy drainage sloughs.

At the bottom, we finally cross over White’s Bridge at King’s Slough – hence the sobriquet of the road of Highway 180 west of Fresno (with the east side being called King’s Canyon Road after the National Park). Shortly after crossing, the road trends northwest towards Mendota. The ground here is a dichotomy of arid wasteland and wildlife refuge – possibly doubling as a sink to farming runoff. The ground is white and without grass or evidence of any life except at the marshy borders. People fish from the bridges or from beneath the solo cottonwood.

I once or twice passed through Kerman as a kid. There was a guy on TV who sold trucks in Kerman; his tag line was “I’ll stand on my head to make you a better deal!” I always wanted to go to Kerman to see if he would. But I do not recall ever passing through Mendota or even having a reason to do so. It is a small farming town devoid of thick canopy as Kerman is. I pulled into the Valero Gas Station about 1:30 PM under sparse shade to stock up on Gatorade – and in fact I bought two quarts with a Muscle Milk; it’s so hot that I can hardly eat. Choked down the muscle milk and about ½ of the Gatorade; the last five miles were murderous as the heat was reflected off the alkali, salt …and talus.

I was doing my routine of stretch and watering-up as locals pulled into the Valero; I smiled at them and they smiled back, curious about my ebike. The Latin origins are quite evident here. One stopped to inquire about my destination and I told him that I was headed to Hollister on Panoche Road. He said that he knew the road well and provided me with directions via Shields Avenue. I asked if the road was paved and he said that it was, although there are some rough spots – but he thought that I could make it. “Great!” I said. Mendota seemed like a nice town; I wished that I had more time to visit.

Wrapping up my 15-minute break, I headed out Belmont Avenue to Hwy 33 and took that south for about 3 miles to Panoche/California Road where again I turned westward towards the Valley’s eastern edge with the foothills plainly in view now. This is a big wide farm road in very good condition – though with a lot of big-truck traffic. Winds were slightly breezier here and it took about 20 miles/45 minutes to reach I-5 at about 2:30 PM. I was completely grateful for the full-service interchange and small shaded pull-off besides the fast-food palaces. Here I rested one last time and watered-up. Then I posted on ES just in case before heading out west.

More... KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Aug 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Backfill #7
Part 3: Fresno to Hollister - Night Bread Road

Panoche: They say that it is an unincorporated area and not a town per se; the only thing that I saw was the Schoolhouse; I never saw the Panoche Inn which must be on the other approach to this rural confederation of farms. I say other approach because there are two ways to get to this place: County Highway “J1” via Belmont and Shields Avenues, or Panoche Road via the um… “Rancher’s Road” made of hard compacted dirt for at least 15 miles; the way I came. No doubt J1 is paved, and this is certainly the way my pal came through, whereas my brother came across on the Rancher’s Road. I can tell you that within one mile of leaving the I-5 rest stop that I was regretting the choice to which new adjectives popped into my head to describe the experience every mile after cursed mile. Much of the road could be taken at 20-25 mph though and that wasn’t so terrible. However there were two uniquely nasty parts which I’ll describe in a moment. But first, allow me to explain the geology of what is unfolding at every turn on this strange road:

Except for the dry arid parts at the bottom of the Big Valley, farming is rigorous and prodigious all the way to the very edges of the foothills, east to west, from one side to the other. On the west side, there is very little hillside used; the ground is possibly used only for grazing range cattle. The physical features look to be heavily washed out at some period in the distant past with large alluvial aprons initiating higher up as ledges of former shores that had cut and eroded mountainsides. A great inland sea stood here more than once and in various shapes and forms, the most recent of which drained about ½ million years ago through what is now called the Carquinez Straits between the cities of Benicia and Martinez that separate Suisun Bay from San Francisco Bay. Before that time when the sea drained, water stood 750-1200 feet higher than my present position at the edge of the foothills. Today this is a nearly treeless expanse of grassland with occasional rocky outcroppings dotting where rare flash-flooding has exposed the tectonically active strata. There is no life here, not to the disconcerting eye, no cattle, no birds, and no trees. Yet in this stark reality, a picture of perfect desolation paints a beautiful landscape of amber, ocher, sandy-yellow hues against the backdrop of a nearly cloudless blue sky. My pal told me it reminded him of the backside of the Moon; I am in awe! :D

It doesn’t stay this way for long. The road follows the margins of the sinuous valley as it is opening to the southwest and is careful to avoid the bottom completely. The first nasty spot caught me off-guard as the road finished trending southward to the lowest latitude of the entire journey before turning northward and up a steady incline. However, within the space of a few hundred feet and a couple of tight twisty corners the road became cobbled washboard and very steep. Regardless of 2WD, my urban-assault Hookworms couldn’t grip in the crud and so I had to straddle-walk the bike up the last 100 feet of the hill. This is when the rear hub decided to cut out (Gawd I thought I had fixed that f@#ker!) I have the Brooke’s Saddle poking me just above the sacrum each time I pulse the throttle (a bruise that lingered for days afterwards) as I inch my way forward, cursing the lack of rear hub drive. At one point it crossed my mind to turn around; it was nearly impossible to continue forward in this heat and dust as any sort of powered-drive had me heading for the edge of the road! I stopped to rest and catch my breath; looking to my left I noticed an array of snake holes bored into the side of the road not one foot away: OFM!! Yeah, that’s it: I’m going to become night bread for snakes on this road! Git ye away from here! Push push push push push push… Come on you beast: Go!!!! :shock:

Did I say that I hates dirt roads? :x

Reaching the top of this local hill, I could see more – but none came near as close in steepness. The view now completely changed and out of that snaky gorge I had climbed onto a large triangular plain bounded by coastal inland mountains, the drain of which was now behind me. I wasn’t out of the woods yet though as there were some more sharply-cut washes to cross. The rocky firmness of the road slowly gave way to talc-like powdery margins that I deftly avoided. But the scenery though was remarkable: a broad open valley bordered by steep mountains, still grassy, yet the mountains to the west had their upper portions lightly forested with Oak and Pine; the visual transition between desert foothills and coastal forest in a few short miles. Off in the distance I could see the dots of settlement in the middle of the valley.

This was a large expanse to cross, and out in the middle of it - with no shade under the full heat of the sun, the mind begins to bake in the lone solitude. Other than driving, there just isn’t a whole lot for the mind to do if the scenery isn’t changing that fast or there’s no traffic to dodge, for not a single car had passed me. On stretches like this, I often recollect. Sometimes I’ll play a song in my head, or parts of a movie, maybe even a conversation. I wuz recalling them thar snake holes now, and how they could have come out and got me! ‘Night Bread Road’, that’s what my buddy called it. I certainly don’t want to break down here: What if that happened, how would I survive? Well, let’s see… I am trained in the ways of a Boy Scout, so surviving till sunrise might not be difficult as long as I can make shelter. I gots food and drink, that’s not a problem. Really the only worry then is from being et by some critter, although most critters in these parts won’t eat me, but then… the evil ones could! Hmmm, let’s review my protection against evil creatures: I gots my trusty oak stake; everyone should carry one. Where is it? Oh yeah, it’s very close; maybe take me a minute to fetch it. Wud my pal say about wooden stakes? Good for vampires, yeah – that’s right; I’m all set if I comes across vampires – that’s important. :wink: But wud about zombies!?! Oh shite – I don’t have anything to protect me from zombies! :shock: Ahh, but wait – my pal says that I could use the oak stake and jam it into the zombie’s eye socket and stir up the brains. :twisted: Ahh – good, that’ll work. OK, I gots protection against zombies too. Snakes, vampires, zombies… Night Bread Road; I don’t want to break down here… :roll: :lol:

This mantra runs in my pointy lil’ head for a while, mostly out of amusement and self-entertainment. And I am looking for snake holes just in case… when all of a sudden I drove past a monstrously large hole dug right into the side of the road! What sort of creature digs a hole the size… why it’s the size of a fat man’s thigh! I kid you not: The size of a fat man’s thigh!! :shock: Could it be a wolverine? No, wolverines don’t live in these parts. Wild boar then; nope – wild boar don’t like this kind of turf. Well, there’s no snake that I know of that makes a hole that big. :? And as I am contemplating what could possibly or even accidentally create a hole that large… when I spotted another one, right there on the side of the road into the embankment – as large as a fat man’s thigh!! My gawd! It’s not a fluke ~ there are creatures boring holes as big as a fat man’s thigh into the road!! I can think of only one creature, one evil sinister nasty-arse perversely powerful creature able to dig holes like that: It has to be the Chupacabra! OFM ~ I’m dead if I break down here! Night Bread Road! :shock: :cry:

And as I am thinking this, I drive past another hole the size of a fat man’s thigh on the other side of the road, and then another on the right, and another, and OFM – there’s one in the middle of the F@#king road – right in the middle of the F@#king road as big as a fat man’s thigh! :shock: I’ve driven into a nesting area, a brood of Chupacabras right here in the middle of this gawd-aweful lunar scabland filled with holes as big as a fat man’s thigh; no wooden stake is gonna save my tender sore arse; Mo’ power! WOT WOT Git ye outta here! Yikes! Yikes! Night Bread Road! Chupacabra! Yikes! :shock: :cry: :lol:

The second nasty spot came not very long after this when the road became profoundly softer, powdery, and more difficult to steer. I came around a corner and here the road dropped down tightly to a low-water crossing of the only stream of water flowing within 20 miles - at maybe flowing at a gallon/second. It was one of those steep U-shaped down and outs where the bottom had been lined by brick & concrete of all things. Where the water flowed the brick was stained brown and green with slimy algae about 3-4 feet wide covered by depth of water less than a fingernail thick. Doe-eyed cows stood on the other side quietly observing my approach. Yeah, I could see the danger there – but right before that, and too late to correct for it was a patch of thick powdery dirt across the whole width of the road… and I couldn’t slow down fast enough. The bike plowed straight into 5 inches deep of this fluff and the front-end spilled out and the bike flopped straight onto the right side: POOF! A large cloud of dusty talc settles. :x What a mess: So much for having a spiffy-clean ebike. No cows mooed, no scores were given. :oops: Frustrated, I re-evaluated my crossing with the bike still in the dirt. Test the footing of the stream… very slimy. :( Yeah, this could easily turn into a second crash if I’m not careful and I could wind up as a desiccated snack for the Chupacabra: Back up, give it some room. I get the bike picked up, brushed off the worst of the dust, and pulled it around for a better shot. One chance; do it right: The front hub is barely touching the bricks and providing about 5 feet of traction before the slimy ooze. Mount the steed, take a deep breath, and I hit the f@#king throttle – but let off as I hit the water – allowing momentum to carry me forward and steering straight ahead…

:?: Will I make it :?:
~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Aug 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Backfill #7
Part 4: Fresno to Hollister - Don, the Mustang Ranger

I am across! :D Steep incline to climb out: Punch it! Up and out and over the hill – the road straightens out, becomes more firm – and I see pavement! At last, blessed pavement! Hmmm, on second thought: Crappy pavement! :x Looks like this road has been patched over but never resurfaced since they laid down the first asphalt back whenever that wuz. Oh my, I don’t know which is worse: being beat by dirt washboard or beat by pot-hole-filled cracked pavement. It is still hot though and now I am in search of shade. I see some in the far distance; maybe the road will go right by it.

After about 3 miles of pavement I began to pass farm houses off to the left and right, and then I spotted my first human being in what seemed likely the last two hours: He was a farmer riding high upon his old tractor; front loader – empty, with rear-hauling fork carrying a large poly-box-crate. He was slow-enough going in the opposite direction and I ambled over to his side of the road waiting for him to pull up. Correction: Not a farmer, but a Mustang Ranger named Don Douglas. :)

We had a great fun chat about my trek and his local issues. Don told me that the reason the west side of the Valley was so desolate was because the farmer’s had drilled too deep and had pulled up seawater from the ocean onto the land and had ruined it. He also said that this here Panoche Valley is the best farmland around if they could only get to the water. Up until the 1970’s this whole valley was in production, but then the OPEC crisis hit and the cost of electricity shot through the roof – making pumped water too expensive, then one by one each farm collapsed and failed. Don bought the last of the farms and changed the business model to raising mustangs.

He then told me how the rangers are fighting to prevent cheap Chinese solar farms from moving in: These companies are flush with capital; they go out and buy out farms, then put their cheap crappy solar technology – not the high-quality stuff, and cover the land with panels. I asked what happens to the ground when they do that, and Don says they already did it on one area and it ruined the ground; no grass will grow, thus there is nothing to hold the dirt down, and this leads to dust storms and the precious topsoil floats away. He says he’d rather have Nuclear Power come in and set up before they’d accept solar. His thinking – and I could tell it was well-researched, is that a Nuclear plant would have to drill deep to get to water. What kind of water is plentiful? Seawater. The plant would desalinate the seawater, producing fresh water which could be used for irrigation, whilst the brine could dry out in the heat, and sent off for refinement; salts and mineral extraction. My only problem with the plan was how to dispose of the spent fissile material – which really bespeaks the challenges of the global problem at large.

We talked about the road and he told me that Panoche Road was meant to be an extension of Hwy 180 but they never came up with the money. He was surprised to learn that I came over the Rancher’s Road; most people he says come through the slot canyon to the north over Shotgun Pass – whereas I had come over Jackass Pass. I sure felt like a jackass for taking it. :oops: Snakes, Zombies, Chupacabras – oh my!

Don gave me the short story of creating champion mustangs; when he first started talking about mustangs instead of farming I had figured he meant horses and not cars. I like both; farms, mustangs, horses… Heck I was happy to just find some shade and then I run across a very interesting and enterprising individual! Our conversation actually began as “Is this the road to Hollister?”
  • He says “Yeah; you’re real close now”.
    Then I says “How close is close?"
    He says “Oh, about 48 miles”.
I bet he was thinking ‘close for cars’. Then I got to thinking about Albert, the cyclist I met north of Truckee; I wondered how far he’d think ‘close’ was? My Pa would like to say “Close only counts with hand-grenades and depth-charges”, and I would counter with “Yeah, and it’s not too bad with nuclear weapons either”. ‘Close’ was still a long ways off for me though – and it was farther than I wanted. :|

Don said he could put me up for the night, feed me steak, whatever I want, no problem. Heck – if I had left for my holiday on time, I would have taken him up on it. As it was, I didn’t have time to spare. Definitely an interesting person! A car came from the west; first time I saw a car since leaving I-5. That broke up our conversation as we both moved to the opposite sides of the road; he told me to keep an eye out for the Schoolhouse as there’s shade. I said my good-bye and thanked him for the intel. Three miles later I came around a corner and there was the schoolhouse; the angle of the sun provided just enough shade for a break and I took my 5 minutes to water-up good and long.

Leaving the schoolhouse the road trended northwest and up through a shallow incline between two mountains and in doing so the heat began to decline some, but in exchange a headwind developed. I stopped one more time to water-up under a tree next to a pair of horses which took an interest in my passing; for once I wished I had two apples to share. The summit, aptly named Panoche Pass, was reached about 4:15 PM, and I took a parting shot in the direction that I had come. Don said it was a steep downhill. It would have been fun I am sure except for the headwind which prevented any serious speed buildup. On the backside of the pass the evidence of tectonic folding was hugely evident by the radical erosion and unstable hillsides. The road was complete shite on this side of the pass too. I have a new acronym for you: It’s called BtFS. Two points on who can translate it first. As I neared the Pass, the weather did turn cooler and progressed more so as I descended. The forest increased in thickness and variety changing from oak and pine to that of more shrubbery with larger variety. Life existed here in plethora. The steep winding road gave way to washed out valley floors and undulating margins until I had finally reach Paicines at the junction of Hwy 25 at 4:45 PM. Here I paused for 15 minutes or so to eat and water-up. The sun was closing down behind mountains and the wind was picking up.

EDIT: Panoche Pass - looking east back over the region that I had crossed. Added on 9/1/2011

EDIT: Paicines - This is a view from the intersection of Panoche Road and Hwy 25 looking NE; the rest of the panorama is missing :cry: Added on 9/1/2011

Heading north on Hwy 25 towards Hollister, now less than 20 miles away was a little frightful after having so much solitude; no margin to speak up until I was able to clear the mountainous portion nearing Tres Pinos where the highway finally opened up to provide ample margins. Entering Hollister at 6:15 PM was like riding into a mecca of consumerism; big huge wide roads with massive malls on both sides. Where is the old town? I pulled off at Sunnyslope Road to find my bearings. By this time I didn’t care about Santa Cruz; it’s windy, I am fatigued, the sun is in my eyes, and all I want is a hot shower, food, and bed. It takes me ½ hour to sort out my motel options and convince myself that I am here to stay. I followed Sunnyslope west then took a right onto San Benito Street – through the Old Town (yea!) which changes names to San Felipe Road after crossing the railroad tracks exiting the town to the north. My first shot was the Best Western, having some Internet discount offered, but when I pulled up the sign in the window said it was booked out.

OK, no problem – I saw at least two candidates on the way here; backtrack to the first alternate: The Cinderella Motel. Now – I had to laugh cos the reviews on Google just cracked me right up. One reviewer says “It should be renamed the Witch Motel; horrible service”, while another said “Should be renamed the Bates Motel”, and still another exclaimed “BEDBUGS!” RotFLoL! :lol: OK – now I am intrigued; how could this place remain in business if it had bedbugs? I have got to check it out, and I did: The manager was extremely friendly and most helpful in selecting a room fitting my needs. Each room is themed; mine was “The Pines Room”, and inside I had a carved wood bed – right out of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, or Little Red Ridinghood. It was absolutely charming! :D The hanging lights were made to look like lanterns, and the bedspread was quilted. The towels were rich and vibrant in color; not washed out or bleached stale white. And the cost: $48.60. :wink: Setup the charger, got my shower and went across the street to Pizza the Hut and ordered up a medium pie and salad with a single Widmer Hefe, then set out to scribe the days’ incredible story until the place began to close. Retiring, I moved back to the room and kept writing until my eyes were sore and I fell asleep with pen in hand. The rest of the details came from memory. It was a pretty hard day of riding despite the short apparent distance.

Starting V = 63.1, Ending V = 56.1; possibly enough to get to Watsonville had I not been so beat.
Distance = 122 miles
Regen = 2.7%; Vmin = 54.7
MaxS = 35.8 mph; AveS = 26.9
Trip Time = 4:31:33
Total Odometer = 1370 miles.

Note: I will backfill as I can in the coming days now that I am at a desk. Pictures will be posted as well when I get to it :)
Cheers, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Photos

My sincere apologies. Today I was reviewing my photos and discovered that ½ to 2/3s are missing prior to 8/20 and there is not another backup. :oops: :cry: I swear I am not going to rely on this dumbphone for photos anymore; I’m taking my dedicated camera on my trips from now on. This is really quite frustrating. I recommend people pick another phone; don’t purchase the Samsung Droid Charge. That’s it: Grade C- for reliability. :x

Regardless, more photos have been appended beginning with Lassen Park image #3. I will include photos with all the new backfills.
~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Sep 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Dang....well, FWIW, a quick google on Samsung Droid Charge and Missing Photos (and variations) finds a number of similar events, where pics just disappear from the Gallery, and don't appear to be on the phone anymore--not just on that phone, but on various android phones, including other Samsung models.

I suspect it's a bug in the photo app or company "skin" on the phone itself, rather than the OS, but it could be a root OS problem.

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Backfill #8 – Part 1: Sunday, August 14th Morning
Hollister to San Francisco-Presidio

I slept lightly through the night mainly because the charger keeps me on my toes. I had wanted to get up 4:30 AM but my muscles were still a bit sore and it was slow going getting started. One thing that I absolutely had to do though was to wash & wipe down the bike and trailer again, and that chore took some time. About quarter after 6 AM I exited the Cinderella Motel and made my way directly across the street to Jerry’s (Shari’s equivalent) for breakfast. Topped myself off and headed out about 6:45 AM – late start. There was no wind, it was just after sun-up (giving to mountains) and bright; I was wearing the fleece though it wasn’t really required then and there. I took the San Felipe Road/Business Hwy 25 & 156 south about ½ mile to San Juan Road and headed west with the sun behind me; no one was on the road as I exited the old town district.

Not long after the merge with Union Road and on the straightaway heading towards San Juan Batista I ran straight into fog. It was a lot wetter than I had expected. The fleece was off-white and I knew this would be a big problem for drivers coming up behind me so I pulled over and put on my Seattle Jacket. The humidity of the fog immediately became a serious issue as the inside and outside of my visor steamed/wetted up to the point of uselessness. If I flipped the visor up then my glasses would fog, though not as severe. This is the way I drove for the next 3 miles with about 100 feet of visibility; I was stymied on speed right out of the gate. The fog lifted a bit as I approach San Juan Batista. I took a right onto the Alameda but was quickly diverted to 4th Street due to the Sunday public market; not a problem as I had the town layout memorized. Within a few blocks I had reached Monterey Street, turned right, then a left onto 1st Street/Old San Juan Hwy and headed more or less northward, crossing over US 101 at which point the road became Hwy 129. The humidity and fog continued to play a role in limited my speed as I couldn’t make use of my visor, although the sun was doing its’ best to burn away the overcast.

Between here and Watsonville the terrain is for the most part ancient inland estuary (now used for farming) and severely heaved coastal hills. The highway meanders through this as an old county road with minimal margins and low-speed corners. There was a lot of slumping as well. Still – it is a pretty drive – even when partly overcast and fogged. I went past migrants picking in the fields; some looked up and I waved and smiled, catching a few in return. My spirits were too high to call it gloomy, though it was nearly so as I reached the city center of Watsonville at 8 AM. Took a right turn onto Main Street and had to check the map a couple of times to be sure I was headed in the correct direction and down to the wye where Main went left and Freedom Blvd went right; I took the right again which immediately begins a long hill climb and pasted a couple of cyclists that didn’t know what I wuz. There may have been a bike lane demarcated but I am here to tell you that between here and the other side of Santa Cruz – the whole link is just plain horrible to ride in. I am not a radical fringe kind of guy – but this sort of afterthought treatment of trying to be bike-friendly then provide this shite-story to ride in just upsets me and I feel compelled to blow it all off and ride in the lane which isn’t in much better condition. :(

Freedom Blvd reminds me that it once was likely the main route or main alternate to Santa Cruz; it is lined with worn-out strip malls and beat-up commercial development and not a visually stimulating sight heading north. Eventually it trends west and down a long path towards the Cabrillo Hwy 1 Freeway interchange called Rob Roy Junction of all things. Just before the intersection I pulled up next to a cyclist named “Trin” (short for Trinidad) and he provided me with some quick intel on Soquel Drive and how to navigate to the other side of Santa Cruz; thanks friend – I’ve got it burned into my brain. :) Soquel Drive parallels the highway going north and west and is another testament to overdevelopment followed by poor maintenance with a joke of a bike lane. Up and down and up and down over the humps and bumps and cracks and sunken drainage covers… bollocks! :(

I pulled off at the Chevron Station at (I believe) Park Avenue for a rest/water break. Hearing the choir singing in a nearby church urged me on to keep it brief and get back on the saddle. Traffic was still light but I knew it wouldn’t last, I didn’t waste time, and kept going hard – but still hitting a few red lights. At Dominican Hospital the route passed over the freeway and formally had me in Santa Cruz. This must be a part that I never went through; pretty well beat-up old section of town as Soquel went left and Water Street went right; I stayed right, blasted fast over the river and onto Mission Street. Crossing Laurel Street, I found a quick-mart to pull over and rest/feed/water-up. It was after 9 AM and I was seriously beginning to worry that I wouldn’t make it to the Presidio by Noon because I really wanted to be on the other side of Santa Cruz by 8 AM. :(

Time to pour it on: Within a mile or so I was free of the town. The fog never came back, though the damp overcast sky hung in there and prevented me from using the visor to shield my eyes. Margins and road greatly improved and that was a good sign. The battery pack took a beating going through all that metro but I still had good capacity left. I remained optimistic – that is until I reached Scott Creek where the clouds lifted higher and the headwinds began to blow. And they blew even harder yet. The Cabrillo Highway in this section isn’t level either; big long climbs with equally long descents – but you can’t make regen due to the wind. Before I had reached Pescadero State Beach I had burned off 2 volts right out of the fat of the pack since leaving Santa Cruz. And although the clouds had pulled back to reveal the ocean, this wind just plain blew hard. :(

I pulled off at Bean Hollow Beach for a much needed rest and just to stare at the waves breaking, feel the heat of the sun on my back, take a couple of pictures – possibly the only pictures of surf on the entire trip (Note: Photos missing :cry: ). I wasn’t going to make Noon; I needed a new plan if I was going to make it at all. I got back on the bike and dropped my speed down to a poverty-pedal rate of22-25 mph which I knew would extend the pack about 25-30%, and it felt like going backwards. I kept this up all the way to Half Moon Bay where I took my next break about quarter after 11 AM. Definitely some incredible scenery – and I so wanted to stop and enjoy the vistas. The Monterey Cypress is spectacular; I miss it! :) But as the morning advanced, so did the traffic and the scary drivers. The day though was turning out to be a great one – except for the wind. Only 30 more miles to go; fuel-up and get on it!

I practically dreaded this next segment as my body was fighting muscle fatigue and the big unknown that lay before me: How to get from Pacifica to Golden Gate Park. At least with traffic I was a little fortunate that much of the northbound stuff went east on Hwy 92, but then I hit Montara: Oh big time scary shite! Going through that construction zone, nasty arse drivers thinking they could just cut me off next to a rock wall – it only took one to really piss me off – and I took over and dominated the lane after that. Screw these rude people; they can damn well stay behind me whilst I climb through this nasty trap. I found a paved pullout and let the mass pass by as I catch my breath and recompose my nerve: Character-building shite for sure. A break in the flow, and I dodge back out WOT and heading down a steep decline into Pacifica. Another break to breathe; I pull to the side at the intersection of Reina Del Mar Avenue and consult the Google Maps oracle. The path is not clear to me, and the hill that awaits is pretty scary. Another cyclist consults his and thinks we can continue for another ½ mile – and we do, but there we are forced off by the freeway.

This is where we pick up the Bike Path! :) Actually it is just a well-designated route over surface streets, and I was completely grateful for it while it lasted: Palmetto Avenue from Fairway Drive to Fairmont. Unfortunately this dumped me right at the southern fringe of Daly City at Palmetto and Westline Drive. Checking the map, I could jump over and take the steeply inclined Skyline Drive to Westmoor Avenue, pass under the freeway then left onto South Mayfair Avenue and follow that north and east to Lake Merced Blvd north to Sunrise Blvd north, the last of which I nailed every green light all the way to Golden Gate Park. As soon as I was inside the boundary I posted on ES that I was near (about 1 PM). OK – milestone achieved; now on to the Presidio! 8)

I took MLK right to Transverse Drive north and onto 25th Avenue north to El Camino Del Mar/Lincoln Blvd up to about Storey Avenue; from there I brailled my way to Chrissy Field – and eventually figured out that the Sports Basement was a retail store at the other end. Where’s the entrance?!? Enter the parking lot… and I heard someone call out my name! :D

Arrived at 1:40 PM, nearly two hours late.
Start V = 63.3, End V = 55.4; pretty dang low :(
Distance to this point = 127.1 miles

…more, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Backfill #8 – Part 2: Sunday, August 14th Afternoon
San Francisco: Hanging with the eCrowd

Before I had could take my helmet off I was surrounded by a group of kindred efolks – numbering close to 20 by rough count and instantly plunged into a Q&A before I could really compose myself after 7 arduous hours on the bike. And I mean this as an apology if people were put out by my desire to get to the heart of the matter and figure out what the actual plan for the day was: Are we going to San Rafael or not? If so – I must recharge now. Are we going to ride around in the city? If so – I must recharge now. Within 10 minutes this was sorted and I quickly my bike up for charging thanks to the great willingness of the locals to assist. 8) (San Rafael was bagged and instead we stayed to ride around the City by the Bay.)

The Q&A continued nonstop – filming, picture-taking, more questions while I am changing my shirt or repacking. It was a little awkward… :? I would have been happy to have 5 minutes to myself; splash water on my face – that sort of thing, though there wasn’t much letup to the attention and – it is with great hope that I did not offend anyone. I can relate and understand that people had to leave; my fault for arriving late. For the most part – I am a very structured and organized individual; I like process and formality to my functions owing to many years of organizing public events and giving presentations. My personal habit is to drive when in the vacuum of leadership, however – I am a guest and this is your town, and I am most pleased to be here and meet with each of you personally and professionally! 8)

After about 30 minutes of charging we packed it up; I managed to pick up 0.8 volts that raised me to 56.2V. A solid core of 7-10 ebikers remained, each of them riding their own unique creations and formats, from the fast recumbent, to outriggers, and hub motors galore – such as myself. Together we blasted around the Presidio. No real plan existed; just cruise around the hill. At some point though we took a short break in a wooded section and the guys took turns testing Green Machine’s incredibly speedy recumbent. This meeting however was broken up by some park maintenance joe in a white truck who seemed to take a serious glare at me as he motored by; I just waved and smiled… Then a joke popped into my pointy lil’ head:
  • “Hey - what do you call 3 guys in a CalTrans truck parked on the side of the road?”
    Generally: “Hmmm, I dunno. What?”
    “Sleeping!”
EDITED: The Electric Amigos! L to R: Stingray17 (Ivan) from Berkeley CA, Snowranger (Kelvin), Chroot (Trevor), KF (Alan). and Green Machine (Eric). (Edward) Lyen took the picture :)

With that great laugh we blasted on through the City maneuvering our way towards Golden Gate Park. It was great to cut loose like that – but there is one artifact about San Francisco that I was completely unaware of, unprepared for, and downright surprized: The general lack of respect for traffic law by cyclists. :? Evidently cyclists just plain flaunt the Law when it comes to stop signs, signal lights, lane monopoly, cutting in and out of traffic… I mean literally – no control. This explains the strangeness of my experiences as I entered the metro area; I’d stop and allow the person to the right to proceed – and yet most just waved me through anyway. It really begs a larger question, and I know that the guys in the group probably do not share my sane desire for respect of traffic laws.
  • It is after all a personal choice that I made to put taillights, stop lights, turn indicators, and red-flashing blinkies on my electric bike, the one that weighs 300 lbs. when fully loaded before I get on and able to travel faster than a moped. For myself – I have this survival gene that kicks in and says: “You know - it would be very wise to let the driver behind me know when I am braking so he doesn’t cruise right up my arse and flatten me, especially those logging trucks hauling 80 tons of lumber.” But that’s just me. The fact is – I am an advocate of public safety for drivers of all sorts. I want them to know when I am going left or right, especially when I can’t lift my hands to signal as I am heading down a steep stretch which requires my utmost serious attention. It is the same reason why I have both left and right mirrors: To see what is behind me, to find an exit route should an unexpected event unfold before me. I look forward to breathing each breath, to rising each day and having a fresh cup of coffee, reading the news, being able to use my hands and my feet, to use tools, to type, to see and hear and smell, and to be able to think cognitively and with reason, without handicap from injury. I cannot afford to be careless; I am self-employed and I must take care of myself and be safe – and encourage others to be safe as well. This is my opinion. I understand that cyclists can flaunt the traffic laws in San Francisco; I just don’t accept it of myself. My $0.02 :)
As a group we entered Golden Gate Park (GGP) which was sealed off to road traffic during some 3-day festival. It was perhaps too much disunion for my tastes as there were knots of people milling around, lots of police on foot and on horses, perhaps not a great place for a bunch of electric-augmented cycling enthusiasts. And – I was quite hungry. After a bit of squirreling around we finally made our way to the Park Chalet at Great Hwy & JFK Drive beside GGP; the guys ordered up pitchers and food and we ate and celebrated our day together! :D Here I could finally speak frankly and privately about technical issues with Edward Lyen about my machine; Edward is full of insight and knowledge, and I am glad he is my friend. 8) After describing the traits of the rear hub as it was cutting out, he suggested wisely that perhaps I should manage my throttle more effectively; in essence ~ go easy when under load because it’s the signal voltage of one controller driving two and there could be more going on with the system as a whole. A novel approach; I shall try it! :wink:

Afterwards we motored a bit more through the park, but then eventually parted ways. My evening was hosted at Green Machine’s pad not far from Seal Rock Inn and The Cliff House. There we set my bike up for recharge, with the voltage now down to 55.4 – this would take all night.

Zzz, KF
Last edited by Kingfish on Sep 02, 2011 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Backfill #8 – Part 3: Monday, August 15th Morning
San Francisco: On my Own

GM was asleep when I woke so I put myself together and tried to exit quiet as a church mouse to find some morning grub. It crossed my mind to go all the way to the Cliff House – but I desired coffee more than my ambition; the Seal Rock Inn would have to do. GM called just after I had ordered, and I convinced him to join me and glad that he did; a good chance to share electric thoughts over fresh roasty brew and food. I decided to go ahead and pack up and make ready for an afternoon departure to San Rafael. From the fallout of yesterday we had left stranded two or three people over there that were not aware of the change in plans due to my late arrival. Today, with Lyen and GM it was hoped we could meet up with Richard Fechter in the afternoon. I needed to sort out my bike issues anyways and this was a good time to do it.
  • First things first – I found a Whole Foods and stocked up on Cliff Bars and Gatorade.
  • Next was the American Cyclery. Here I had a gentleman check out my fork suspension. Rocking the fork back and forth, he said that the headset cup bearings were not the issue, but that he thought the fork bearings were worn out. Thus he proposed I replace the entire fork. Hmmm, that’s going to be at least $500 if not $1000 depending on how much gold-plated bling I have to have. No, I thanked him just the same; I just needed to know if it was the cup bearings – and it wasn’t, so this repair can wait.
  • Next I called Edward’s friend Ilia who runs eBikes SF on the other side of the City in hopes that he could take a look at my ebike rear axle. Alas – I didn’t think we’d have time to hook up and be productive with the short time remaining, although Ilia certainly wanted to help. The problem I had been having is that the rear axle seemed to be rotating or moving; part of the on-going and annoying struggle with things scraping or getting jammed up.
By this time I was getting peckish – and I made my way back to the Whole Foods to pick up a sandwich and milk. The Plan with regrouping solidified to meeting up at the Conservatory of Flowers in GGP at about 3 PM. Eventually I made my way there, found a nice spot to park the bike, and laid out on my back in the rich green grass and took a dozed off while my cellphone recharged off the bike’s battery pack. For once – I could just relax without an agenda, and I did it here in GGP under a cracking day for nap-taking beside a field of flowers.

Conservatory of Flowers in SF. I took a snooze off to the right under a tree (Note: Photos missing).

Eventually I was summoned to join up with the guys and there we were – right in front of the white Conservatory: GM, Edward Lyen, Richard Fechter, and myself. I finally get to meet the legend behind ES; actually there were three rightful legends before me and I was completely honored and humbled. 8) I think we chatted away for the better part of an hour. Then – we struck out for a ride around the park; one last loop if you will before parting ways. Edward volunteered to show me the way across the Golden Gate Bridge and onward to Sausalito, and so we set out dang near 30th at Fulton, heading east. The Plan was to take 15th Avenue north to Wedemeyer to Washington Blvd through the Presidio, however there was a problem with reaching Wedemeyer through the gate with local access only, so we took a right onto Lake Street and headed east all the way to Arguello Blvd, and turned left up and through the park. No sooner had we begun winding north than there was a stunning vista off to the right; pulled over and Edward took a shot for me against the backdrop of the San Francisco Bay (Note: Photos missing). Eventually we made it to the Sports Basement as I needed to see if they had a pair of special clasps which were helpful in securing stuff on my trailer. I was quick about it: Found the section but not the type I needed. The guy in the area knew exactly what I wanted but only had one left – and it was not tagged, so he gave it to me for free! 8) Rushed back out and installed it onto the trailer; it’ll have to do. :wink:

Arguello Blvd Vista looking NE across the Bay; Angel Island is center-left, Alcatraz and Palace of Fine Arts are center-right. The rest of the panorama is missing :cry:

...more, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Backfill #8 – Part 4: Monday, August 15th Afternoon
San Francisco to San Rafael

It’s now 4:50 PM and I have 62.2V left on the pack. The total distance then from Hollister to SF – including running around came to 149.6 miles. Let’s roll! With Edward leading the way we made our way to the Bridge. I guess that normally the public walks on one side and the cyclists have the other side. But today, the other side was shut – possibly due to repairs or painting, and everyone was forced to traverse on one side. I could not believe how packed and busy with people milling around aimlessly. I mean this was just plain crazy! :shock: People stopped in the middle of the route standing there in the way of obvious flow; imagine if you’re driving on a busy street and the person in front of you decides to stop – blocking all traffic – to do what? Take a picture? Call their friend? Search their bag? Scratch their arse? And it was like that for the entire crossing. People walking on the wrong side, people riding their bike on the wrong side, people people people – and this wasn’t the weekend; I could only imagine how impossible it might have been to try and get to San Rafael at Noon the day before! What a struggle, and I felt very stressed trying not to flop the bike in the middle of it; you might say there wasn’t much of an opportunity to sight-see going across. On the other side of the Bridge, again the same pile-up of aimless people standing in the middle of traffic flowing both ways! Plow ahead – the road turns steeply down; it is hugely gusting here as well. Fast we go down and around Horseshoe Bay with more stupid cyclists riding while taking pictures with their cellphones instead of looking forward. Eventually we make it into Sausalito and to the Ferry Dock, giving us a place to pull off. I give my absolute thanks to Edward for his sincere hospitality and helping to guide me to this point. :D Now – he turns and goes back to cross the Bridge; man what guts! 8)

I pull out the Google Maps oracle and research my route forward. Stoking the fire beneath my twin gerbil drives, we sped off into the setting sun down Bridgeway to the Mill Valley-Sausalito Path; not much cycle traffic so I blast it WOT while taking care not to be too scary as I pass. Eventually this dumps me at the intersection of Blithedale Avenue and Lormita Drive. Unsure, I continue forward on the bike trail where I passed a couple of cyclists; I slowed to ask for directions north and in a roundabout chatterbox way (I must be a magnet for chatty people) he tells me to take the next right and follow it to the end, and so I do – exiting the path onto Lormita Drive as it turns east, runs smack up against 101 Redwood Hwy, and becomes another bike path heading north. I think the cyclist struggling up that incline crapped his pants as I motored past… pulling onto Meadowsweet Drive at the other end and took that to Tamalpais Drive in Corte Madera. Here I studied the map again, and although today I could see an easier route, in my hungry and heat – I didn’t see the bike paths; only roads and freeways and limited options. I went west onto Tamalpais and up the hill and right onto Magnolia Avenue, up and around keeping up with traffic turning right onto Bon Air Road up over to Sir Francis Drake Blvd (we’ll be seeing you again shortly) heading west in the lane for a few hundred feet, then right again up over Wolfe Grade WOT – though doing it with a softer and kinder gentle feathering – and that rear hub just kicked arse climbing up over that stubby monster, then bombed onto the flats of D-Street. :twisted: Right onto 2nd, under the freeway, right onto Grand/Francisco and down to where the Motel 6 awaits. <whew!> :lol:

Pulled in at 6:30 PM after only 19 miles from the Sports Basement. It was a no-nuttin’ room for $66.63; I liked the Cinderella Motel better. The attendant was going to charge me more but I claimed that my dumbphone couldn’t connect to their website to make the reservation (which is true), so he gave me the Internet discount anyway; it pays to ask. :wink: The sad part is that this place is out in the Industrial backwater next to the tide flats – yuk! :roll:

In summation, this short ride was designed to get me across the Golden Gate and shorten the distance to my next destination - Fort Bragg. If I had left SF proper, the distance would have been close to 180 miles; now I am 20 miles and 90 minutes closer with a whole lot of fatigue behind me. So in essence – this is the beginning of the end of the final leg on this journey.

Stats:
End V = 60.8; easy peasy. This finishes charging before I am asleep.
Distance = 19 miles. Regen = 12.2%
MaxS = 34.0; AveS = 18.5
Time: 1:00:36

I am here early enough that I decide to wash all my sweaty clothes in the sink and let them air dry in the room; it’s very warm in San Rafael. After my shower I walked about a mile to the Seafood Peddler for a pleasant meal; seems I was underdressed for this yacht-club restaurant but they were polite and found me corner where I could hide and chronicle. Good food at a reasonable price. :)

Tomorrow, a new journey begins. KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Green Machine
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Green Machine » Sep 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Kingfish,

It was nice reading about your journey to SF...and it was nice meeting you in SF.

Your right we do have no respect for traffic laws here on bicycles.. THats because its practically impossible to get pulled over on a bicycle unless your riding and waving around a hand gun or something oh and the gun is still smoking. The bicycle coalition here in the city is as powerful as the national rifle associatoin in some other US city. Where in other places your allowed to brandish assault rifles..here we are allowed to ride our bicycles aggressively with no regard for stop signs or drunk driving laws. On a bicycle here you can be an outlaw and not get in trouble. Its quite liberating. The idea is since you are on a bicycle you are only endangering yourself. Unless your going to make the super thin argument some wreckless lawless bicycler is going to slam into some pedestrian pushing a baby carriage. Actually San Francisco in general is a lawless city. You wont believe how often you see people doing drugs in public, how prevalent drunk driving is etc. IF they did DUI checkpoings on a weekend night in SF they would probably nab one in 4 drivers. Its that bad. But they generally do not give dui's or any citations here in the city. Thus one of the problems in the city is how many bicyclists are killed each year to drunken or wreckless motorists. I know we average like 25 bicyclist deaths a year. And i dont think thats from running stop signs or disobeying laws.

Oh and i am working on a city law to make turn signals and horns illegal on bicycles... :P Although even if it passes i am sure it wont be enforced. SF cops are lazy wankers.

I was curious about how that ride across the GG bridge went. Although i normally crosss the bridge on ebike atleast once a week because of summer time crowds and the bike lane closure i have not crossed a single time all summer.

Reading your account makes me think we did the right thing by not crossing as a group on Sunday when there is twice the foot traffic on the bridge as there is on Monday when you finally did cross it on route to san rafael.

I think everything worked out for the best not cruising to San Rafael on Sunday..maybe someone would have gotten hurt..maybe a plane crash... who knows. :mrgreen:

chroot
100 kW
100 kW

Post by chroot » Sep 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Kingfish,

Yeah, We were reckless on the street and I was riding on Green Machine's MTB bike with the HS35 motor and it was way fly FAST! :lol: I didn't have chance meet Fechter and Lyen told me that Fechter was waiting for Green Machine to pick him up at small airport near San Rafael. It seem didn't have time get him that day while you were in SF.

Although, It was nice meet you in SF and your tour ebike was super awesome. You made everyone inspiration very much. 8)

I sure will meet anybody e bikers from somewhere and welcome to SF or any events. :)
Thank you Justin Lemire-Elmore - You are a HERO!

Tidalforce, Yuba Mundo V4 Cargo bike, Juiced Riders ODK V1 Cargo bike
English is my secondary language - ASL (American Sign Language) is my primary.

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 11:13 pm

amberwolf wrote:Dang....well, FWIW, a quick google on Samsung Droid Charge and Missing Photos (and variations) finds a number of similar events, where pics just disappear from the Gallery, and don't appear to be on the phone anymore--not just on that phone, but on various android phones, including other Samsung models.

I suspect it's a bug in the photo app or company "skin" on the phone itself, rather than the OS, but it could be a root OS problem.
I did some research based upon your lead - and evidently it is as you say - a larger problem with many phone devices.

I downloaded the Pandora Recovery application from CNet and it found the deleted file entries - all 37 deleted images between 8/7 and 8/19 - but they have already been overwritten :evil:

The people that make this shite are pure evil! I've owned a digital camera for 8 years and never - not once ever has it deleted a file. But this hokey crap that is being shoved at us is garbage; where is the QC? I am taking this phone back to Verizon tomorrow. :x

Unhappy with the phone, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Green Machine wrote:Kingfish,

It was nice reading about your journey to SF...and it was nice meeting you in SF.

Your right we do have no respect for traffic laws here on bicycles.. THats because its practically impossible to get pulled over on a bicycle unless your riding and waving around a hand gun or something oh and the gun is still smoking. The bicycle coalition here in the city is as powerful as the national rifle associatoin in some other US city. Where in other places your allowed to brandish assault rifles..here we are allowed to ride our bicycles aggressively with no regard for stop signs or drunk driving laws. On a bicycle here you can be an outlaw and not get in trouble. Its quite liberating. The idea is since you are on a bicycle you are only endangering yourself. Unless your going to make the super thin argument some wreckless lawless bicycler is going to slam into some pedestrian pushing a baby carriage. Actually San Francisco in general is a lawless city. You wont believe how often you see people doing drugs in public, how prevalent drunk driving is etc. IF they did DUI checkpoings on a weekend night in SF they would probably nab one in 4 drivers. Its that bad. But they generally do not give dui's or any citations here in the city. Thus one of the problems in the city is how many bicyclists are killed each year to drunken or wreckless motorists. I know we average like 25 bicyclist deaths a year. And i dont think thats from running stop signs or disobeying laws.

Oh and i am working on a city law to make turn signals and horns illegal on bicycles... :P Although even if it passes i am sure it wont be enforced. SF cops are lazy wankers.

I was curious about how that ride across the GG bridge went. Although i normally crosss the bridge on ebike atleast once a week because of summer time crowds and the bike lane closure i have not crossed a single time all summer.

Reading your account makes me think we did the right thing by not crossing as a group on Sunday when there is twice the foot traffic on the bridge as there is on Monday when you finally did cross it on route to san rafael.

I think everything worked out for the best not cruising to San Rafael on Sunday..maybe someone would have gotten hurt..maybe a plane crash... who knows. :mrgreen:
I too am glad we stayed in the City; it was a blast :)

I think that an annual meeting of Regional ES peoples is in order; plan it out way in advance, have games/track events, rides, presentations, BBQ... invite the families... It could be lots of fun and a way to get lurkers interested. It just needs a strong personality to drive it :idea:

Don't bother with making a silly bike law that forbades the things you hate; that's pretty fringe nonsense. :) Focus on the positive aspects, public welfare, and awareness of electric vehicles in general: Support the hobby by making yourself extremely visible so people don't run you over like that one driver almost did to you (yes - he was a jerk in the way he came off at you, but he had a point). I nearly ran into you couple of times cos you and others don't have brake lights; it's the reason I hung back so far - for my own safety. But you know all of this already. Focus on the positive, focus on having headlights and mirrors and reflectors; basic bicycle safety as advocated by mayors across this country. Think about it: Don't you want to live to see tomorrow? I want to see you next year and shake your hand! :D

Thank you for hosting me! KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 01, 2011 11:41 pm

chroot wrote:Hi Kingfish,

Yeah, We were reckless on the street and I was riding on Green Machine's MTB bike with the HS35 motor and it was way fly FAST! :lol: I didn't have chance meet Fechter and Lyen told me that Fechter was waiting for Green Machine to pick him up at small airport near San Rafael. It seem didn't have time get him that day while you were in SF.

Although, It was nice meet you in SF and your tour ebike was super awesome. You made everyone inspiration very much. 8)

I sure will meet anybody e bikers from somewhere and welcome to SF or any events. :)
Thank you my friend! It was an honor and pleasure to meet and ride with you :D I would like very much to do this again next year, although perhaps with a different machine... of which I am already planning... I don't think it will be the same bicycle though :wink: as I've been bitten by the thrill-of-adventure bug :lol:

All the best to you and yours, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Sep 02, 2011 1:44 am

Green Machine wrote:Oh and i am working on a city law to make turn signals and horns illegal on bicycles... :P Although even if it passes i am sure it wont be enforced.
If it does pass I can guarantee that neither I nor anyone I know that will listen will ever visit the city.

jonathanm
10 kW
10 kW

Post by jonathanm » Sep 02, 2011 3:24 am

This thread just gets better, thanks for sharing.

Gonna go and dig out dub side of the moon, perfect sounds for riding or reading for that matter.....