Back in the Saddle: Going to California: 2011

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Re: Back in the Saddle: Going to California: 2011

Post by Kingfish » Sep 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Green Machine wrote:Hey Kingfish,

I wonder if you had any near misses with cars on your trip?
Every day without fail. There is always one rotten apple in the barrel. Probably the total worst days were leaving Renton on the first day, entering Portland on the second, Montera before SF, and Bodega Bay.
Green Machine wrote:What was as scared as you got? Was there any period of your ride you were just riding scared of getting hit?
The first two days were the most challenging, especially the last 10 miles coming into Portland on US-30 as there was little shoulder; I didn’t have room to pass cyclists with constant oncoming freight running beside me. This is where Portland needs to take overt action and fix it before someone gets creamed. When the situation became thick, I’d pull off and rest for a minute and calm my nerves. I never gave up. Therapy: Colorful euphemisms help. :wink:
Green Machine wrote:Did you feel safe in general in your travels?
Generally, yes. The assholes though really pissed me off cos there’s nothing you can do about it, although I am thinking of inventing a neutering-gamma ray cannon… :twisted:
Green Machine wrote:My biggest problem with doing a trip like that is having cars pass me constantly.
It is with hope that the “Diametric Coriolis Inductive Regenerator” would supply enough comic relief to garner extra padding when folks would pass – and I think that was quite effective, especially on busy Hwy 41 heading down into the Valley where it received a lot of “thumbs-up” feedback. :D
Green Machine wrote:I am afraid of getting hit from behind.
Install a brake light! They make 12V LED lights that are easily adaptable to your electric brake. I used a microswitch instead of a Hall Effect to complete the connection, but either will do. :)

Best, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Sep 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Kingfish wrote:
Green Machine wrote:I am afraid of getting hit from behind.
Install a brake light!
Perhaps you forgot who you are talking to...this is the man that wants to make such things illegal on bikes. You certainly wouldn't catch him with one on his bike, over his dead body.

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Sep 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Backfill #15: Monday, August 22nd
Last Day: Centralia to Redmond

I commemorate my 1500th post to the tell the story of the last day of this most-epic road trip :mrgreen:

Breakfast
Slept well. Excited, awake, couldn’t wait, got up and prepped the bike for the final time. Rode over to the Country Cousin for breakfast; I was sure they opened at 6 AM, but I think they said they were open at 5 AM. Hmm – I could have started earlier! :lol: Pork chops and eggs with homemade applesauce for breakfast; yum! This was going to be a great day… The waitress asked where I was headed and I gave her the accounting. Happy with that… until that is when the waitress uttered the evil four-letter word that begins with R and ends with N; “yep”, she said, “I think that was they forecasted this morning” D’oh – I don’t want to hear it! Cover my ears… :shock:

Optimism remained though and I left Centralia – for the second time at 6:30 AM, heading northwest on Harrison Avenue (Old Hwy 99SW) with overcast skies, light traffic, and cool though humid. I don’t even begin to think about words that begin with R; bad juju, sacrilegious, nasty jinxing, superstitious… where’s my good luck charm, my lucky penny, my rabbit’s foot, my binkie? :lol:

Heading out
Harrison roughly parallels I-5 for about 5 miles before Old Hwy 9 peels off to the left heading northwest, and Old Highway 99 SW heads directly north. I am going to make my way via a string of back roads so as to bypass Olympia and head on up to Shelton – a place I’m never been. Crossing US-12, this cluster of buildings is called Grand Mound; it’s not a town per se but a “census-designated place” (CDP) according to Wikipedia. Hmmm. Traveling one whole block north, the main road takes a hard left (although one could continue north on a smaller street) and becomes 196th Avenue SW. About two blocks down I take a right onto the diagonally-oriented Sargent Road SW which I use as a shortcut to Littlerock Road. It is pleasantly rural and thickly wooded as my mind wanders. At the intersection of Littlerock I had my antennae switched up and took a left instead of a right and went the wrong direction for about a mile before my internal conscience rebooted and confirm my path. Turn around – head northeast; I’ve got it correct now. All good – motor on. There is a nice river bottom to my left and mixed forest on my right for miles as the road trends north up to the hamlet of Littlerock. I take a left here onto 128th Avenue SW and cross the narrow bottom, less than a mile wide, up the hill and tee into Weddall Creek Road. Going right/north, this route should parallel I-5 although doing so following the base of a low set of interesting mountains, the highest of which is unsurprisingly called Capitol Peak.

These roads are poorly marked and my dumbphone cannot get a signal; maps are not available and it is frustrating my production. :? I come to a tee that is completely unmarked other than naming the road that I came from. Great. :roll: It looks like a well-travelled route. Do I go left or right? Going right might take me off-course to Olympia. I start to go right, but have second-thoughts and end up going left. About 1.5 miles in there is an RV park on the left that looks like a small racing course for quads. Then the road narrows; oh this is not good. Another mile up the road forks, one becoming gravel and the other narrowing again and depositing me into a campground. Nope; wrong turn again. :oops: Turn around and go back. In retrospect and consulting the maps, I was on Sherman Valley/Noschka Road which is a dead-end unless I want to take the Capitol Peak (dirt) Road (no thanks).

Back at the original tee, I keep motoring on forward and this route wiggles its’ way northeast past Lake Lucinda – which is a misnomer cos it’s just a small lily pond. At the next junction is Delphi Road and this I remember even though there is still no connectivity. It’s getting to be around 8 AM; I haven’t travelled very far mile-wise, but the sky is brightening up and there is hope despite being dribbled on from above. I tell myself “It’s just a coastal effect – nothing more.” Delphi Road passes through some very nice countryside and it is relaxing and calming. There is more traffic on this segment; I must be reaching some development. Hmm, tidal flats on the left, then up a grade and under the freeway – the road pops out and intersects with Mud Bay Road; my goal! I am at the direct western limit of Olympia; one block east and I would be in the city proper. I goes left onto Mud Bay Road and cross over the tidal flats of the same name.

Eld Inlet/Mud Bay, taken from the bridge looking north: The tide is out.

Mud Bay Road changes names to Madrona Beach Road and acts as a frontage to US-101 and access road to businesses and residences hemmed in on either side. I have many beautiful views of the inlet before reaching Schneiders Prairie (perhaps another CDP?). Locals are out and about; one lady gives me an awe-struck surprised and happy smile as I drive by; I nods back like a knight on an electric steed. Charming. 8) At the intersection of US-101 there is a small minimart and I stop for a break and grab some Gatorade. Early this morning before leaving I had remounted the rear fender assembly, this time affixing the ends above the pivot instead of below – and now I recheck and tighten those ties making sure everything is in good order.

Fun as this rural path is, I am also consuming my pack more rapidly that I wish due to the hilly nature of the road. Here I elect to forego alternate paths and proceed directly onto US-101 freeway heading north. The sky has opened up and I can see billowy white clouds and blue sky in-between. Neat! :D I am making great time now, but there is also a bit of crosswind too though I am not yet worried. The freeway climbs over a large rise and down, then passes left of Oyster Bay, and then Little Skookum Inlet. The highway here is designated as the Pacific Coast Scenic Byway, and I can attest that terrain is certainly different than expected. Coming in towards Shelton, I decide to save time and stay on the freeway which bypasses the town on the west, although I don’t get much of a view of Oakland Bay this way.

Kitsap Peninsula
There are three exits to Shelton; no sooner do I pass the second that I noticed the sky has darkened and the wind is picking up. Hmmm. :( The freeway ends and becomes a busy 2-lane highway. Another mile and the road is wet. Another mile and though it is not <sigh> raining, my feet are wet. It’s beginning to look real nasty. :cry: Found a place to pull off and lean the bike against a pole next to a residence and I put on my wet-weather gear, then consult the NOAA website. There is a strong wind advisory and a powerful thunderhead cluster directly north of me passing west to east through the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Olympics. Oh gods – this is not good; my path takes me right into it. In a moment of indecision I plot out an escape route - just in case. The dumbphone can’t provide me with my precise location although I think I am closer to Skokomish than I actually was.

The fallback plan would essentially have me head northeast up the Kitsap Peninsula and take the Bremerton-Seattle Ferry across the Sound, rather than follow US-101 up for the next 50 miles to SR 104 where I could take the Kingston Ferry to Edmonds. Two roads head east up the Kitsap from my position: Purdy Cutoff and Brockdale. Hmmm. It’s a long ways to Bremerton, and I convince myself that it might be just as easy to continue on, and so I do. Down the road I go. The darkening sky is just beginning to cut loose with midgey rain when a semi-truck blows past me – and in the wash, covers me with gritty road grim. That’s it! White flag; I bail. This is not going to be fun, I won’t get to see the mountains when I can hardly see 500 feet down this road, and I really hate touring in the rain. :cry: Then – as I made this decision, Brockdale Road appears on the right; this exit has my name on it! Going east now, I can’t really say this is rural countryside; it’s more like humans shaved off the forest here and there, leaving stubble behind as nature struggles to figure out the next recovery. I would hesitate to call it pretty and even less inclined to admit I belong to the same species that did this to my planet, but that’s the way it is on the peninsula. :|

My plan now is to get to Johns-Prairie Road which will cut over to SR 3 which will take me to Bremerton. In hindsight, it probably would have been faster and safer to take Webb-Hill Road north to SR 106 which would have been much prettier along the Hood Canal (inlet) than through a bunch of clear-cut eyesores. But I didn’t. It crossed my mind to take the McEwan Prairie Road instead of Johns, but when I came upon it – the road was dirt and gravel. At least I was in a rain-shadow and the wind was more or less behind me rather than in front. Still, my sense of adventure was diminished; it’s literally not the way I wanted to finish. Backtracking almost all the way to Shelton, I took a left onto moderately busy Johns-Prairie Road which weaves through rural development and of all things… open-pit mining, at least – that’s what it looked like. The road tees into SR 3 at a scary intersection; I’m stuck here for 5 minutes timing traffic; it’s only a 2-lane road albeit a fast one. A break! I pull out and punch it heading east.

Not a mile goes by when someone pulls up beside me to ask about the bike; I find a pullout next to the tidal flats at the end of Oakland Bay and the guy and his wife animate their interest. :) I give them the details and point them to ES. I’m a little cold and a little wet, thinking about food; maybe it showed. They offer up their place just a mile up the road where I could rest up and get fed; nice to offer – though I politely decline. It’s so close - I just want to get home. Really nice people though! 8)

I can’t really say SR 3 was pretty though. As I stated before – there is a lot of clear-cutting and misguided development. But I was unmolested the whole way. It is hilly and it gave me a workout as I passed over the constant ups and downs. Reaching the Case Inlet I came into the town of Allyn and pulled off at the “Port of Allyn” building; I think it might be a community center. Anyways – I stopped to rest when a guy in his red pickup truck pulls up and inquires about the bike, and we have a long friendly conversation. :) The guy says this road will pretty much take me all the way to the Ferry docks. We say good-byes and I motor-on. This is about the halfway point across the peninsula and there’s still a good ways to go yet.

Bremerton
The road crosses over the hill and SR 106 from Skokomish joins up on the left where I get a brief glimpse of Hood Canal before passing through Belfair which is but a collection of businesses with a stop light before climbing up the hill and out. My back teeth are floating. Just after the McDonalds there’s a Napa Auto Supply and I pull up to park. I am feeling pretty hungry, but I don’t want fast food so I grab a Cliff Bar at this time. Shaking off the need to use the bathroom, I tell myself that it’s just nerves. Get back on the bike and head on past the Bremerton National Airport and other ugly development – like a golf course right next to an open-pit mine. What’s with that? Then boom, down a hill and into Gorst, the Sinclair Inlet is right in front of me as I espy the Naval Shipyard and Port of Bremerton.

Borrowed image from Bing-Maps: Bremerton, Washington. North is at the top, aircraft carriers are in the center, and the ferry docks are just below the bridge on the right point southeast. I came up from the lower-left following the inlet.

There are four aircraft carriers moored here: USS Independence, USS Kitty Hawk, USS Constellation, and USS Ranger. I have personally steamed along side the last three when I was but a young squidly pit-snipe (just don’t call me a swabby mister or I might put you to work scrubbing the bilge, arrr :lol: ). I dig ships, but I don’t miss the make-work. Then I reflect upon the poem “Sea-Fever” by John Masefield (1878-1967).
  • I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
    And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
    And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
    Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
    And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
    And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
    To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
    And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
    And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
Oh I have been bitten by the sailing bug again: Maybe I’ll convert my cargo trailer into a kayak-hauler – with a sail, and, and… and an electric motor powered by LiPo when the wind blows wrong! Yeah, that’s what I want! :D

The Ferry
The highway here joins up with SR 16 out of Tacoma and is freeway. I take it north for a mile and peel off at Charleston Blvd/SR 304 ogling the whole time over the boats in the water. The town of Bremerton is nice enough and pretty I think in this spot; they did a good job! The road climbs up a hill then turns right/west and climbs steeply even more. Not much room for bikes so I have to take the lane. Down the backside and then at the end is a hard right and down some more to the Ferry terminal. I pull up to the ticket booth and the officers are all smiles as they ask what I have. I tells them it’s a 2WD electric bike, drove it to California and back. They are impressed! I asks how much to take the ferry and they tells me “For you, it’s free!” Ha! Can’t beat a deal like that! :D I must be special (well – the truth is I’ve been special since my Dad dropped me on my head when I was a toddler… but that’s another story). Coast on down to the line; there’s not much of a line – maybe two rows. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll pull up to the front cos I think bikes are special like that, and I wuz right. :wink:

Bremerton Ferry Docks; arrived after 99 miles.

Other blokes like me.

There’s a concrete barrier so I pull up next to that and peel myself off after traveling 99 miles this morning. There’s one other guy here resting with his back to me; he rode in on an old vintage BMW that looks like it survived Vietnam. So does its’ rider. I start up a conversation with a provocative statement that gets him to laugh and we end up talking about motorcycles to pass the time. I arrived here about 11:45 AM. The next ferry is at 12:20 PM. More motorcycles show up, each with a different personality in more ways than one. Pretty fun now geeking out with this select group. With a blast of the horn, the ferry announces its’ imminent arrival. Ferry workers pull in close to facilitate unloading and loading; one sees my bike and I tell him it’s electric and that gives me special (there’s that word again) access ahead of all the riders. This is going to be so cool! 8) I pulled all the way forward and parked the bike against the side of the metal framework. Ferry worker instructs me to use the rope and tie it down; secured/looks good. I’m off for a wander.

Me bike all stowed away with a little rope barely lashed down. The seas aren’t any more higher than a ripple, though it’s a good practice nonetheless.

‘Nother view from the deck above.

Didn’t feel much like eating this food from the cantina; it’s kind of a madhouse anyways – so I head outside. We’re already pulling away from the dock so I grab a few shots. Ferrys are cool! 8) Sent off an update to ES. Time for more pictures. Off to the north is the eye of the storm; it looks pretty dark and nasty. Back towards the Olympic Mountains though it appears the rain has moved off – though it is still pretty dark. I am guessing I made the right decision though; no need to put myself into harms-way like that. Back to the front of the boat – Seattle is coming up close; I better get ready.

Looking back west towards Bremerton as we’re leaving. I came up from the south which is on the left, and the Olympic Mountains are shrouded in clouds on the right. This is a wide shot stitched from two.

Iconic Mount Rainier to the east: The largest single mountain & volcano as measured from base to tip in the Lower-48.

Looking north at the eye of the storm! :shock:

Approaching Seattle. The plane in the sky is the Boeing 787 Dreamliner; first time I have seen one in the air, it is making an approach towards SeaTac. 8)

The Emerald City of Seattle, although today it’s not looking so. The Space Needle is out of view to the north (left). The Smith Tower is the tiny white building with the pointy top all the way to the right; it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi after the San Francisco 1906 Earthquake. The Columbia Center (tall black building) to the left of Smith Tower became the tallest at the time of its’ completion in 1985, although today it is the 4th – yet in the Pacific Northwest, it remains the tallest.

Back to the Barn
I wuz thinking of getting some food here in town, but as the ferry docked at 1:10 PM – all I wanted to do was to leave. I know the path well, and with exception to the safety of others I takes it WOT. The wind is blowing pretty good here although it is mainly behind or as a crosswind as I’m heading east. Nothing to stop me now. Damn the torpedoes, I blast across the I-90 floating bridge WOT. The weather becomes blustery and begins to spit big-drop rain. In Seattle, we have over 200 words to describe rain, but less than 10 to describe sunshine. :roll: Though not a cold drench, wet is wet and I want to get out from under it. From the Interstate I travel north on Bellevue Way to 112th Avenue to Main Street east, across I-405 to 116th Avenue north up to Northup (no, seriously) going east before taking NE 24th Street to link up with the bike trail when the ebike suddenly dies! WTF? :x Get off, inspect, looks fine, wiggle the harness, get back on; it works! I guess the gremlins just had to pull one last stunt before calling it a day. I’ll be damned if I know, but motor-on up the hill and onto the bike path.

It’s Monday just after lunch. I fly on by the Microsoft Studio complex; Softies don’t know what they are looking at as I tear across the intersection WOT taking the sidewalk ramp as a jump! I am being reckless; keep it together – hold steady. Past the Microsoft Red-West complex, I bomb down the bike path into the heart of Redmond proper and around Redmond Town Center (the faux center of town; actually it’s pretty well done up). And then at last - it’s up to where my saucer is embedded into the side of the hill and through the secret hidden urban bat cave. I made it home, arriving at 2:28 PM in the smiting rain.

Stats:
Start V = 63.3; End V = 56.3
Distance = 118.1 miles; Total Odometer = 2515.7 miles to California and back again.
Regen = 3.3%; Vmin = 54.5
MaxS = 39.6; AveS = 27.1
Trip Time = 4:21:22

The unloading of batteries and cargo went surprisingly quick and just in time before the sky began to chuck it down. Once inside, I proceeded to separate the trailer, though the hitch was left attached. After my shower after the shower I put on the gators and headed off to my local watering hole to enjoy a fresh crisp draught of Trumer Pils.

And so it is at The End, I must say:
Cheers to all my hosts for their fine hospitality, cheers to all the drivers that passed me safely, cheers to my family and friends for putting up with me, and most of all – cheers to myself for making it back alive! :D

A long humble bow to you and yours, KF :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kingfish on Sep 12, 2011 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

dnmun
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dnmun » Sep 11, 2011 12:36 am

your total mileage is my round trip back to colorado from here. but i can leave colorado at 6:30 and arrive here at 11 pm. did that extension cord help? amazing that you did not have major electrical failures considering the time and distance. and you were at the wrong end of the bathtub curve for the run in of your new design. your boss would wanna know why you took such risks with a new system.

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 11, 2011 1:45 am

dnmun wrote:your total mileage is my round trip back to colorado from here. but i can leave colorado at 6:30 and arrive here at 11 pm. did that extension cord help? amazing that you did not have major electrical failures considering the time and distance. and you were at the wrong end of the bathtub curve for the run in of your new design. your boss would wanna know why you took such risks with a new system.
I used that extension cord about 2 hours after leaving your place on US-26 when I stopped at Lemonade Stand with the two little girls and picked up the first of many opportunity charges! I didn’t need it when in the motel rooms, but just about every place else – it was a godsend! The knife I used once in a bar fight. Just kidding! :lol: I did a stupid thing and shorted one of my battery leads – and that’s when I used the knife to cut away the melted bits. I am truly thankful for your tremendous wisdom! :D

As for risks? Life is a risk. We don’t get to test drive Life or the choice of being born. Some things are best tested in situ; my bike was one of those. I had faith and trust that I could make it through nearly anything, and well – with exception to stormy rain, I did. I wuz lucky! I had a guardian angel. I had sunny weather, lots of wind, but at least it was sunny. I kept to a routine, honing it every day; that was my system. It was by no means a perfect system; I relied on a dumbphone which was useless whenever I was out of range, and it killed off half of my precious images. Maybe there’s an application that stores the maps locally – I dunno. We learn from experience, and I have... well, 28 days of it.

Next year will be better. Next year I will raise the ante. The challenge will be greater and farther. I hope I will have better technology. :wink:

OT: I will be posting the unique stats and maps of the routes in the coming hours/days.
Best, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 11:34 am

MAPS!

In this next section I will post the general route maps; these were created from MapMyRides.Com. Each Map will have accompanying stats and hyperlinks to previously posted information. The exact mileage and elevation differs slightly from Bikely, as well as from my CAs; in truth I place more trust my own reporting far more as I periodically evaluated the calibration of the units many times over the course of this long journey.

Small note – last year I used Bikely.com but after the first road trip I found that they became unreliable afterwards for future planning because I was unable to connect consistently and dependently. This year I’ve decided to go with MapMyRides – although additional steps have been taken to produce my own maps in order to retain content control.

I haven’t decided yet whether to make the links to the maps public though: Out of privacy, the precise locations of hosts, friends, and family are undefined. Would it be useful to be able to zoom in farther to see the actual streets?

Enjoy! KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

Corrections:

Let’s begin with the entire route map.

The original was created by compositing using Bikely.Com. Changes are in Red.
  1. The original plan was to head south from Redmond to Enumclaw, follow SR-410 over Cayuse Pass at Mount Rainier National Park which becomes SR-123 and US-12 heading southwest to Randle, then SR-131/NS-25 to Swift Reservoir, south again on NS-90 to Carson, then east on SR-14 to White Salmon/Hood River, spend the night, then take Hwy 35 and connect up with US-26 near Government Camp on the flanks of Mount Hood. After a discussion with dnmun, I went to Centralia-Portland over two days following the Seattle-to-Portland (STP) bike route, and then US-26 out from Portland.
  2. The second change was on the return leg and originally had me cut back towards Portland at Lincoln City via McMinnville, spend the night, do the McMinnville-Centralia route following more or less the STP path, take US-12 east to Morton, SR-7 north to Lagrande, SR-161 north but cut over to Orting and take SR-162 back to Enumclaw, and then reverse back up to Redmond via Issaquah. This would have me bypass all that metro traffic.
    However, because I had switched to Centralia-Portland on the outbound leg I decided to travel up the entire length of the coast to Astoria and then on to Aberdeen via US-101 before jumping over to Shelton via US-12/RS-8/SR-108, then coming up the Hood Canal north on US-101 about 60 miles to catch SR-104 east to Kingston, and take the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry across, and head back to Redmond via Kenmore. Unfortunately due to the heavy winds preceding the arriving storm system this too changed.
  3. The leg back was altered as: Florence-McMinnville, McMinnville-Centralia (previously planned), and then Centralia to Shelton, up US-101 following the Hood Canal to SR-104 to Kingston to Edmonds to Redmond. But – as we know, this didn’t quite go as planned, and I had to abort at Shelton, take SR-3 up to Bremerton, cross the Puget Sound on the Seattle-Bremerton Ferry, and take I-90 back to Bellevue, then up to Redmond – in the rain.
  4. There was one other alteration where my brother and my pal discussed the path from Fresno across the Coast Range, and we switched back and forth on the best way. Ultimately though, that route stayed as originally planned, although the difficult day concluded in Hollister rather than Santa Cruz and contributed to the nearly 2-hour delay reaching San Francisco the following morning.
Checking my notes from the planning stage, I had three revisions – all going through the Mount Rainier-Hood River route before leaving with the total trip miles estimated to be about 2440. When I finally departed on July 26th, the revised plan was essentially the STP, the California loop, and then back through Aberdeen; this would have put my final miles at 2402. It is only by circumstance that the 2500 milestone came about; the original goal was to go about 2200, or 4X farther than last year.

Regardless – I am proud of the distance however achieved. :wink:
~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 6:47 pm

MAP: Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 Redmond-Centralia

Departed at 11:15 AM (the actual time after fussing about); Arrived at 8 PM
Distance = 108.1; Total OD = 108.1
Start V = 63.3; End V = 57.0
No regen stat; Vmin = 56.2
MaxS is buggered though it might be 39.9; AveS = 24.5
Trip Time might be 6 hours.
Room at the Ferryman’s Inn for $49.44

Apologies – I hadn’t quite developed the reporting routine.

Weather was cool, rainy until about Renton, eventually turning warmer though mostly cloudy with some sun breaks. Scariest part was traveling down the East Valley Highway between Renton and SR-18 near Auburn: I wasn’t used to the bike-trailer yet and there were no bike lanes. Within the first 60 miles I was worn out, though kept pushing on. At Tenino, after 78 miles – I was just about ready to park it except there were no motels here; I was very fatigued at that point, but had to push on for another 30 miles. Mentally – this was one of my hardest days. That night I balanced the cells using the 6-way harnesses. I forgot to unplug two batteries and fried one of the arms of the harness; sparks were everywhere! Good thing I was wearing my hat.

Originally posted status here, with Backfill here (there’s several days of summary in one post).

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 6:52 pm

MAP: Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 Centralia-Portland

Poor-quality notes I’m afraid.
Departed 11:15 AM; Arrived close to 6 PM.
Distance = 111 miles; OD = 219.1
Trip time is about 6 hours
Hosted by dnmun

Weather was partly cloudy, pleasant though gusting across the Columbia, fought cross-wind into Portland, but then it was just plain warm after that. Two scary parts: The last 10 miles on US-30 coming into Portland, and the butthead driver that cut me off on MLK that caused me to spill the bike in the middle of rush-hour traffic. Huge thanks to dnmun for helping me fix show-stopping issues.

Originally posted status here, with Backfill here (there’s several days of summary in one post).

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

dnmun
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dnmun » Sep 12, 2011 6:53 pm

that was the 27th of july when you came by? i still had all that wood piled up out front or had i moved it then? i thought your trip was pretty neat. it would be great if we could organize a network of places for people to crash and charge while making these trips on a more regular basis.

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 7:23 pm

dnmun wrote:that was the 27th of july when you came by? i still had all that wood piled up out front or had i moved it then? i thought your trip was pretty neat. it would be great if we could organize a network of places for people to crash and charge while making these trips on a more regular basis.
There was wood along the side and you were in the thick of your creative endeavor, but I am not sure if that's what you meant :)

:idea: Charging Network: I think that would be a great idea, although my space does not have a public frontage such as yours.

I could definitely imagine having a stacking-charge option though for the next bike: A powerful enough charger to handle 1 to 1.5kW and a second option to take another 1.5kW either in parallel or at 3-phase if the charging station offers it. Didn’t you mention to me that there was a standard outlet and voltage for EVs? Maybe for the little guys 1500W is enough, but I know that for next year I’ll want to charge faster.

Best, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 7:27 pm

MAP: Thursday, July 28th, 2011 Portland-Bend

Departed at Noon; Arrived at 8 PM.
Start V = 63.3; End V = 55.7 – with a single opportunity charge for about 45 minutes/1 volt
Distance = 162.7; total OD = 381.8
Regen and Vmin are unrecorded.
MaxS = 42.8 from memory, and AveS is not recored.
Trip time is unrecorded.
Host by Farfle and family

Weather was nice though turned hot on the other side of Mount Hood. Slight scare the first time I took the trailer past 40 mph coming down the backside of Mount Hood. On the way to Madras I began to feel slight effects of heat stroke. Wind was at my back between Madras and Bend, extending my range and comfort level. Reached Farfle and they put me up for two days and fed me well! Spent an extra day there cos I didn’t have my act together on the charging scene; I didn’t quite trust the unit to leave it plugged in overnight. The mileage going into Bend on Friday was recorded and added to the OD but not mapped. Friday was wicked-hot! Decided to switch up and leave much earlier than I had in the last three attempts.

Originally posted status here with Backfill (there’s several days of summary in one post).

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 7:30 pm

MAP: Saturday, July 30th, 2011 Bend-Klamath Falls

Departed at 7:50 AM; Arrived at 3:30 PM
Start V = 63.3; End V = 55.8
Distance = 148.3; OD = 560.3 (includes false start from the day before)
Regen and Vmin not recorded
MaxS is buggered; AveS = 29.0
Trip Time = 5:06:04
Room at the Cimarron Inn for $64.31

Weather was HOT! I had to stop every 15-20 miles to water-up. Otherwise traffic was good as was the road. Slightly nervous going around Upper Klamath Lake between Modoc Point and Pelican City cos there wasn’t much of a margin.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 7:48 pm

MAP: Sunday, July 31st, 2011 Klamath Falls-Burney

Departed at 7:50 AM; Arrived at 4:24 PM
Start V = 63.3; End V = 56.9 after two opportunity charges.
Distance = 145.4; OD = 705.7
Regen not recorded; Vmin = 55.9
MaxS = 40.1; AveS = 28.7
Trip = 5:03:56
Room at Burney Falls-Charm Motel for $80.30

Weather was cool in the morning though warmed up to be nice. The road out from Tionista up to Medicine Lake was bumpity-hard on the body the first 15 miles (from Mile-50). Breezy and beautiful jewel of a lake though at the top, followed by an awesome downhill bombing run to Hwy 89. Hot once in the lower elevations all the way to Burney. Several problems with the bike here: Cruise, regen, rear hub cutting out.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 12, 2011 7:53 pm

MAP: Monday, August 1st, 2011 Burney-Greenville

Departed at 9 AM; Arrived at 5:45 PM
Start V probably 63.3; End V = 56.8
Distance = 118.7; OD = 828.4
Regen = 2.7%; Vmin = 55.3
MaxS = 42.0; AveS = 27.4
Trip Time = 4:19:44
Hosted by my Uncle in Greenville

Weather starts out nice, and cools as I climb. At the summit of Mount Lassen National Park it is very pleasant even though I am surrounded by walls of snow in the parking lot! After the twisty downhill, the road straightens out for some awesome bombing! More problems with the bike though impede my production and add to the woe and delay and frustration. It is very warm though not hot when I reach Greenville. I stayed here for a day and hung out with my cousins.

Originally posted status here, with Backfill here.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 13, 2011 12:10 pm

MAPS Update

Greetings. I wasn’t very happy with the production work on these maps and I thought that perhaps a better job could be had, and therefore have revised the previously posted maps so they are better-cropped and have less mile-markers. There is an option to remove the markers although I think they offer credible value, however the largest increment is 20 miles. Also, some maps important landmarks or events identified which are explained in the accompanying monolog; when zoomed out, the maps often drop off important details.

There's more on the way. Is this level of detail useful?
Curious, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 13, 2011 12:14 pm

MAP: Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 Greenville-Johnsville

Departed at 2:30 PM after lunch; Arrived at 5:30 PM
Start V was likely 63.3; End V = 58.8
Distance = 54.96; OD = 883.4
The rest is not recorded.
Hosted by my folks.

Weather was very warm and became almost unbearably hot as I approached Quincy. More problems with the fender rubbing along the way. The scary parts were between Crescent Mills and Quincy where the canyons narrow and the margins are slim. The rear hub continued to be problematic on hill climbs. I stayed with my folks through Saturday and made several repairs.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 13, 2011 12:19 pm

MAP: Sunday, August 7th, 2011 Johnsville-Pioneer

Departed at 7:20 AM; Arrived at 6:10 PM
Distance = 177.1; OD = 1060.5
Start V likely 63.4; End V = 56.6 with two opportunity charges
Regen = 3.4%; Vmin = 55.0
MaxS = 44.0 (record for ebike & trailer); AveS = 29.4 (best time ever)
Trip Time = 5:56:12
Hosted by Uncle.

Weather was cool in the morning at these high elevations and stayed that way as I approached Truckee, but then it became pleasant and warm with a breeze. The most-challenging part was between Truckee and Carson Passes with heavy traffic and narrow margins. Crossing the Sierras was difficult with the crosswinds. The best part though was the several bombing attempts to break my land-speed record: Couldn’t quite get the nerve to take the bike up to 46 mph. The trailer tailed well though and my confidence hugely improved. I stayed with my Aunt & Uncle for a day and hung out with my Cousins.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm

MAP: Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 Pioneer-Fresno

Departed at 6:40 AM; Arrived at 8:20 PM
Distance = 186.6 (new KF record :mrgreen: ); OD = 1247.2
Start V = 63.2; End V = 54.8 with one opportunity charge in Angel’s Camp for an hour.
Regen = 3.3%; Vmin = 52.9
MaxS = 43.0; AveS = 28.7
Trip Time = 6:23:37
Hosted by Family and Friends whilst in Fresno

Weather in the early morning was mildly humid, though on the road – cool until Angel’s Camp where the concrete reflected all the sun of the early morning. By Noon it was very warm, and after the flat was fixed I was beginning to suffer from heat stroke with the worst of it between shadeless Coulterville and Mariposa! I reached Friant about sunset and finally Fresno in twilight with the headlights running. That was the most dehydrated I had been on the entire trip and took an extra day to recover, not leaving until Saturday.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm

MAP: Saturday, August 13th, 2011 Fresno-Hollister

Departed 11:30 AM; Arrived about 6:15 PM though took ½ hour to pick a motel.
Start V = 63.1; End V = 56.1
Distance = 122.0; OD = 1369.1
Regen = 2.7%; Vmin = 54.7
MaxS = 35.8; AveS = 26.9
Trip Time = 4:31:32
Room at the Cinderella Motel for $48.60

Weather was warm and moderately humid with high cirrus clouds that cut the heat, though later these moved off and it became very hot until crossing Panoche Pass where the headwinds picked up and eventually cooled me down. Some of the nastiest sections I have ever been on is between I-5 and Hwy 25 on Panoche Road. Because of the elements and the road, plus my late departure, reaching Santa Cruz was improbably in daylight. This is the farthest southern leg of the journey; from here I turn north and begin my return home.

Originally posted status here, with Backfill Parts I, II, III and IV.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 13, 2011 2:49 pm

MAP: Sunday, August 14th, 2011 Hollister-SanFrancisco

Departed at 6:45 AM; Arrived at Presidio at 1:40 PM
Start V = 63.3; End V = 55.4 – although I briefly took an opportunity charge after that.
Distance = 127.1; OD = 1496.2 – although we did some riding after this (not mapped).
The rest of the stats are not recorded.
Hosted by Green Machine

Weather started out cool and sunny, but quickly turned to damp wet fog heading into San Juan Batista, then overcast with partial fog all the way into Watsonville. However this lifted and was just overcast and cool all the way to the other side of Santa Cruz. Then as the sky peeled back to reveal the sun I was met with strong headwind. At Montara, the construction zone created some dangerous travel and I had to assert control over the lane to prevent reckless passing and personal endangerment; I learned to be more aggressive for my own protection. Eventually found my way north to the guys waiting for me at the Presidio. Great fun hanging out! Thanks to Green Machine for hosting!

Originally posted status here, with Backfill Part I (getting there) and Part II (hanging with the eCrowd).

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 13, 2011 2:56 pm

MAP: Monday, August 15th, 2011 San Francisco-San Rafael

Departed from Sports Basement at the Presidio at 4:50 PM; Arrived about 6:30 PM
Start V = 62.2; End V = 60.8
Distance = 18.78 (does not include morning ride); OD = 1537.5 (includes all miles as of EOD)
Regen = 12.2%; Vmin = 59.1
MaxS = 34.0; AveS = 18.5
Trip Time = 1:00:36
Room at Motel 6 for $66.63

First, the map shows the entire mileage for the day, even though the stats are for the Bridge-crossing to San Rafael. The weather in the morning was awesome and continued through the day. By the time Lyen and I began to cross the Bridge though it was quite windy, however once reaching Sausalito it was sheltered and very warm, edging towards hot, although the evening was quite pleasant. Scariest part was crossing the Golden Gate; far too many people for my tastes. Hats off to Lyen for his kind assistance!

Originally posted status here, with Backfill Part III and Part IV.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 14, 2011 2:23 pm

MAP: Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 San Rafael-Fort Bragg

Departed at 6 AM sharp; Arrived at 5 PM.
Start V likely 63.3; End V = 54.3
Distance = 165.3 miles (record max length on a single charge of any trip :mrgreen: ); OD = 1702.8
Regen = 3.8%; Vmin = 53.0
MaxS is buggered; AveS = 23.8
Trip Time = 6:55:23
Room at Travelodge for $93.47

Weather was cool and darkly overcast. As I climbed over to the other side to Point Reyes I was nearly cold, but it warmed after breakfast. Dodged fog and sun much of the morning, though by afternoon it was pleasantly warm and sunny with a breeze. Coming into Fort Bragg, overcast returned. No real danger here except for those Lexas tossers around Bodega Bay. Really a good character-building workout.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 14, 2011 2:28 pm

MAP: Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 Fort Bragg-Eureka

Departed at 7:15 AM; Arrived at 3 PM, though it takes another hour to find a room
Start V = 63.4; End V = 55.2
Distance = 141.8; OD = 1844.6
Regen = 3.9%; Vmin = 53.5
MaxS is buggered; AveS = 25.7
Trip Time = 5:30:24
Room at Travelodge for $87.99

Weather was cold and damp in the morning but that didn’t last long as the sun peaked out and began to lift the sky. I was heading through the woods up the tallest summit of the entire leg north by this time and upon reaching the crest began to peel off the layers. It stayed nice and pleasant all the way through the Avenue of the Giants until I reached the last crossing of the Eel River just before Fortuna when the wind picked up. The evening was overcast off and on as the clouds ebbed and flowed back and forth. Scary parts if there were some was the insecurity first time I got onto US-101 freeway, but then my skin grew thick and just went for it.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sep 14, 2011 2:39 pm

MAP: Thursday, August 18th, 2011 Eureka-Gold Beach

Departed at 9 AM; Arrived at 4:30 PM
Start V = 63.4; End V = 54.3
Distance = 140.4; OD = 1985.0
Regen = 1%; Vmin = 52.7
MaxS = 41.2; AveS = 28.1
Trip Time = 4:59:57
Hosted by Rassy at Oceanside RV Park

Weather was a bit overcast and traffic was heavy for much of the morning although both lifted after leaving Crescent City and made for a really warm day all the way until just before the Pistol River when I encountered the most severe wind and buffeting that I have ever experienced. Fighting the last 18 miles chewed right through my pack. With Rassy, we sorted out that it would be a problem as I moved north, so we developed another plan to bring me inland at the next best opportunity – Florence. My humble thanks to Rassy for being a most-excellent host!

Originally posted status here, with Backfill Part I and Part II.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports