AGEING

kriskros

10 kW
a head of cheese,a bottle of wine,akeg of whisky all improve with age :) not so the human body :( when i first started cycling about 6 years ago [at 79]i could do the local creek valley trail on an mtb with very little problem... two years later the exit hills[short,but very steep]were a real grunt.. i put a motor on the mtb :D ...about 80% pedal... this year , its about 70% power... the rate of decline seems to increase each year,YYUUUKKKK

Hang in there...

"This is the other story of the future of aging. When the efforts of medical science converge to simply prolong existence, you envision Updike’s golfer Farrell, poking his way “down the sloping dogleg of decrepitude.” But scientists like Taivassalo and Hepple have a different goal, and exercise — elixir not so much of extended life as extended youthfulness — may be the key to reaching it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/magazine/28athletes-t.html

I like that last article posted.

That will be a miracle drug.

Imagine how many posts I'll have in all the forums I attend. ;)

Retirement won't exist. That might suck.

Seriously, ageing (for the British) and aging (for Americans) is a pain. When I say, pain, I mean that.

I am slower, fatter, more prone to injury, and my injuries take longer to heal.

My dad laughs when I tell him I feel my 42 years.

Get the smallest bottle of glucosamine and chondroitin you can find at a health food store to try out. Half the people who try it have instantly improved joint health. Its a cheap experiment, and well worth it. If they just sold a one week sampler supply for $2, sales would skyrocket.

Your body makes G&C already, but just makes less of it the older you get, some folks worse than others.

Eskimos eat blubber (seal fat) and have no heart disease, the French eat a lot of fatty foods, but red wine keeps it from sticking to their arteries...again no heart disease. Eat a fish-oil caplet per day and a glass of red wine with dinner.

Back when I had the well-enough paying techie job a few years back, I tried out the G&C stuff, and it helped my knees a lot, but I couldn't keep getting it after that job went away. :( It also seems to help dogs, as there are quite a few gimpy ones that are brought to my workplace, and some owners get them G&C supplements or food with it in there, and often in a few weeks they're not gimpy anymore, or not nearly as much.

There's also a lady that makes her own dog food for her dogs, and she always grinds up all the chicken-bone joints to put in there (not the rest of the bone, but just the gristly joint), and she says that it does the same thing the G&C does. Havent' tried that yet, but seeing as bone-in chicken is tremendously cheaper than any of it bone-removed, I've been tempted to try that out sometimes. (just cant' quite bring myself to, yet, for myself, but I shoudl try it for Bonnie the border collie, my gimpy oldest dog).

john in cr,you are correct young man,it just keeps speeding up.must be the slower you get, the faster everything else gets! :lol:

MikeFairbanks said:
Youth is wasted on the young, and retirement is wasted on the old.

If you could live life backwards:

You start out dead and get that out of the way.
Then you wake up in an old age home feeling better every day.
Then you get kicked out for being too healthy.
Enjoy your retirement and collect your pension.
Then when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day.
You work 40 years until you're too young to work.
You get ready for High School: drink alcohol, party, and you're
generally promiscuous.
Then you go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, and you
have no responsibilities.
Then you become a baby, and then...
You spend your last 9 months floating peacefully in luxury, in
spa-like conditions - central heating, room service on tap, and
then...
You finish off as an orgasm.

I like it Flip_Normal. As soon as I near the end I'm flipping the timeline around. I can't wait to be a teen knowing what I know now. :twisted:.... and later a 12 year old with a high powered ebike. 8) Imagine the ebikes that will be available in the 2nd half of the 22nd century. :shock:

Barley wine and Strong Ales improve with age.

The art of lovemaking improves with age.

Wisdom improves with age.

Youthful in spirit, KF 8)

flip_normal said:
MikeFairbanks said:
Youth is wasted on the young, and retirement is wasted on the old.

If you could live life backwards:

You start out dead and get that out of the way.
Then you wake up in an old age home feeling better every day.
Then you get kicked out for being too healthy.
Enjoy your retirement and collect your pension.
Then when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day.
You work 40 years until you're too young to work.
You get ready for High School: drink alcohol, party, and you're
generally promiscuous.
Then you go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, and you
have no responsibilities.
Then you become a baby, and then...
You spend your last 9 months floating peacefully in luxury, in
spa-like conditions - central heating, room service on tap, and
then...
You finish off as an orgasm.

That's brilliant Flip!!! Is it yours, or someone elses?
Gary

The art of lovemaking improves with age.

The riders skills might improve with age, but the stiffness of the voltage certainly starts to sag, and whilst I used to like multiple hill climbs in big peletons, these days I am happy put my bike up on a pedal trainer whilst I watch 'streaming videos' on my own.... (at least speaking for myself there....)

[youtube]ApyVOW6Xe98[/youtube]

Back