10,000 mile club

drewjet

10 kW
I just hit 10,000 electric miles on my E-Motorcycle.

I still have the original motor (Mars Brushless), it took 3 Kelly controllers in the first 100 miles, but since then same controller. Batteries were replaced at 7500 miles (were Sony VT cells, now Turnigy 20C), and I am due for some new tires soon.

This is my main commuter for work. I go 8.5 miles each way and my job allows me to roll it inside and charge up every night. At home it takes about .6KW/hr out of the wall to charge up. So it costs me about $.08 for 17 miles, about a 1/2 penny per mile.

So far a happy e-life

I've been riding 15 miles round trip for 3 years now, and accounting for vacation and the occasional snow day I calculate I've ridden 10,125 miles, give or take a few hundred.

Oh heck – I’m well over half-way there! Last year I reported 4303 electric miles on my tax return, and if we add 2515 from the recent road trip… that’s 6816 documented miles right off the top. Hmmm, I could this before the end of the year. :)

Neat! KF

Yeah maybe there is more than i thought in the 10,000 mile club. Maybe 10 members? Is there anyone else out there who has gotten 10,000 miles? Maybe kingfish?

I am new to ebikes....but in the last year and a half i have ridden 3 thousand miles according to the collective add ups on my CA's.

I think it will take me 5 years to get to the 10 thousand mark because my initial enthusiasm has tapered off.

I am at almost 9,500 on my Xtracycle with bmc motor, of which several thousand have been with my two kids on board. I'll be at 10,000 in no time up 15 miles per day. The motor is original with upgraded gears, and I'm on my second battery. I think this new battery will last 10 years judging from the performance so far.

Green Machine said:
Oh wow kingfish wrote that right as i was making my post.

I thought for sure kingfish was at 10,000.
I don’t have a breakdown of the electric miles for 2009; they weren’t very much as I began to order parts in October of that year. The first CA I had mounted was sent back for repair, so those miles are lost. I haven’t ridden that much for work this spring cos I did so remotely from home; taken as a whole the sum might be around 1000. However there’s still the rest of this year!

<tick tock tick tock>

OK – I did up a spreadsheet of all my 2011 miles to date – sans the road trip – it needed to be done anyways for taxes… and I came up with a figure that is just below 1300 miles which is still conservative cos I haven’t counted all the times I made little errand runs to Radio Shake or to Ace Hardware or Home Despot or the grocery store or… but the total figure to date is now conservatively 8110 miles. 10,000 is definitely doable this year! :)

~KF

Between the various chain and hub drives, I have around 1800 on CrazyBike2, not counting some of the testing mileage where I didn't note it down or have speedo/etc on there, and possibly a few hundred miles + that were lost with my Veloace data at one point (because I couldnt' remember where I was at with it when I forgot to recharge it the last time before CrazyBike2 was mothballed for a few months, without having written any of it down).

Then there's DayGlo Avenger, which got around 450 miles, back with my original friction drive, using it for work commutes and such. Later with the hub drives I've put at least another 1000 miles on it.

So on electric bikes of various types, I've got about 3200 miles or so in the last three years. Guess it's gonna take me a while to catch up. :lol:

(though just the 5 mile work commute, at an average of 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, would give me about 1300 miles a year. I don't always get that many days of work, though, but sometimes more, plus salvage trips and grocery runs and whatnot, it probably adds up to about the same. )

I am nearing 9K total but partials on two different bikes. Near 4K on my Schwinn and approaching 5K on my Giant. Once I had things worked out on the bikes I have had no problems with either. That's miles for three years though. It's only a mile to werq but I seldom drive but take the bike everywhere I go year round. In one year I drove 1200 miles and rode the e-bike over 3k. Still it will take years before the bike will save me enough money to pay for itself as I did not drive much to start with.

I am at about 18-20,000kms, I stopped counting.

Not what you were asking for, but anyone got better than 10,000 miles or am I the forum distance champion?

:arrow: A year and a half of about 25 miles a day (no car!)
:arrow: All mileage on a 48v20ah ping
:arrow: Daily rider - but across three bike builds, and three separate 9c motors. All of which are still in good shape.
:arrow: Total Ah is blocked out because I didn't reset it after I had the CA glitch (several times) - cycles and mileage also approximate, but pretty close.

Anyone wanna buy me a drink in dfw tomorrow when I hit 10,000 miles? 8)

I passed 10,000 miles, earlier, towards Spring.
Took almost 3 years.
On 3, variously modified EZips.

Yes, all 3 are still fully functional, including my Winter - Mudder.
Winter Mudder is a Mountain Trailz, modded to 36v, plus, a pair of homemade studded tires.
Done me good, through 2 Winters, in upstate New York USA.

Started playing with my Ezip "stepthrough", this Summer ... put another 1000 miles on that already.
It really helps pile on the miles when you can get 30-40 miles per charge!

full-throttle said:
22,500 miles

Good number full-throttle. I should be pretty close but I don't think quite that high. I'm like Adrian and don't even track it anymore. Last I checked I was averaging 20 miles a day, and it will be 3 years in December. Call it 20k miles for me with a +/- 10% margin of error.

Um.. where to begin..

Lets just skip to the end: work is 23km from home. I ride every day, five days a week, 1,000km a month, 12,000km a year..

I don't like being in a car stuck in traffic. I like riding. At work I met Mark_A_W, he hooked me up with a motor - a 250W Bafang that I had to ride full throttle all the time to get anywhere (hence the name full-throttle) Soon after I wanted something better, faster.. You know the rest (the addiction)

E-bikes anonymous

Nice! If you figure a car costs about seventy cents a mile that's $15,000 in your pocket over the years. Even a motorcycle is likely to cost nearly half that.

I stopped actually keeping track of mileage at 6000 miles. My best estimate is that I ride a minimum of 2000 miles a year. It was 3000 the first year, but now that I am not as broke I confess to driving the car a bit more in winter. Likely I'm at around 8000 miles now.

Averaging 2-3k miles per year for 5 years so I'm in this category although not all on the same bike. I can take subway for $100/mon so this probably saved me around $5k give or take roughly $250 of electricity over that period. My bike costs about 2 cents per mile for electricity in NY area at almost 30 cents/kWh.

Kingfish said:
Last year I reported 4303 electric miles on my tax return
What line of the form is that? :lol:

I'll join the club soon, based on conservative calculations: 12mi/day * 5days/wk * 50wks/yr * 3yrs = 9000mi

And I'm sure I've taken 1000 miles of detours in that time... :twisted:

FT, you talking 22.5 miles or k?

GCinDC said:
Kingfish said:
Last year I reported 4303 electric miles on my tax return
What line of the form is that? :lol:
The line that I remit to my Accountant :lol:

Since I no longer drive my truck, we have designated all my ebike research as a business expense aka primary vehicle. If I produced a few bikes and sold them off then I would be able to write off even more... like the $700+ I spent on motels this last road trip.

But I digress :wink:

So many fun ebikers trying to break the 10k mark! Good thread GM :)
Cheers to all, KF

auraslip said:

Not what you were asking for, but anyone got better than 10,000 miles or am I the forum distance champion?

:arrow: A year and a half of about 25 miles a day (no car!)
:arrow: All mileage on a 48v20ah ping
:arrow: Daily rider - but across three bike builds, and three separate 9c motors. All of which are still in good shape.
:arrow: Total Ah is blocked out because I didn't reset it after I had the CA glitch (several times) - cycles and mileage also approximate, but pretty close.

Anyone wanna buy me a drink in dfw tomorrow when I hit 10,000 miles? 8)

Hows the capacity on that ping compared to when it was new?
How many cycles on it approx?

Hows the capacity on that ping compared to when it was new?
How many cycles on it approx?

Cycles is probably correct give or take 50. Every day I ride.... except days I don't. Like today because it finally started raining in texas again. Cycles is useless anyways - I've only hit lvc twice. Once on purpose, and once when the battery was new. 90% of cycles are to less that 50% DOD.

Capacity. Oh man. No clue. Reason is that I've been running BMS free for awhile now. 6 months? Anyways, when I was new to it I accidentally overcharged 4 cell groups a bit(cell log even drain mod - LOOK IT UP IF YOU ARE USING THEM FOR 8s!!) So, around 10ah used, one of the cells start to dip to 3.1v - it seems like the three other cells got a bit better as they show a resting voltage of 3.2v at 10ah, but only testing will tell. I'm not sure what is normal for a ping anymore - I've forgotten! Is 3.2v for 50% DOD normal?

Believe me, once I get my new bike running, I'm going to disassemble the ping, and individually capacity test each cell group (or maybe even cells?) Probably turn it into a nice little road bike pusher.

full-throttle said:
Um.. where to begin..

Lets just skip to the end: work is 23km from home. I ride every day, five days a week, 1,000km a month, 12,000km a year..

I don't like being in a car stuck in traffic. I like riding. At work I met Mark_A_W, he hooked me up with a motor - a 250W Bafang that I had to ride full throttle all the time to get anywhere (hence the name full-throttle) Soon after I wanted something better, faster.. You know the rest (the addiction)

E-bikes anonymous
Um...
You said 22,500 miles and then you speak in terms of KM...
Is it miles or kilometers?

P.S. From 2.5 years ago up until the beginning of this year (approx 18 month) I did 20,000 miles..
I just checked my speedo and it shows 5,800 miles since March.

Back