How to steal a bike, maybe an e-bike, in the city.

Nehmo

10 kW
Go to a bus transfer point and unobtrusively wait and watch. If you’re concerned, wear a hoodie or something that sort-of covers your face. When one of those stupid bike riders naively places his or her bike on the bike rack on the front of a bus (no time to lock it up because the driver will hurry the biker) and then takes a seat in the rear of the bus, it’s time to make your move. Just remove the bike form the bus and take off down your pre-planned route.

The bike owner may come running out of the bus and yell something obscene. He or she may tell you to stop. It will be pretty funny.

Ignorant bike owners usually don’t secure their bikes to the racks on busses because, as I previously pointed out, the bus driver will pressure the biker to hurry, and the biker won’t want to impose. However, a quick method, short of locking the bike, that would impede a thief is to fix the brake in a stopping condition. If the bike has disc brakes, it’s easier. The biker could, after placing the bike in the bus rack, compress the brake lever to expose a triangular opening make by the lever, the cable, and the stationary part of the lever mechanism. Place a D carabiner, a bolt, or something to keep the lever & cable from returning to the un-braked condition. We thieves won’t have the time to figure out why the bike won’t ride and may then abandon the effort.

I would've loved for someone to have tried this on me. I waited for the day. Never came :evil: Now with my electric assist I never have the need to use the bus/bike combo.

Too much work compared to cutting locks. What's funny is how many people get off the bus and start to walk away, forgetting their bike is on the rack. :roll:

I had a favorite Cannondale stloden in Portland and I was on foot for three month before I was able to purchase a new one.

Since I have been alerty watching for bike thieves.

You better move fast cause when I catch you one or both of us are either going to jail or the hospital

Well actually YPedal, he is tipping is off.. I've never heard of a bicycle being stolen this way, but it does bring pause.

Like e-bike4life mentioned.. the ebike allows us to skip the bus and drastically lower our cost of transport. If you have to take the bus, you're doin' it wrong. Throw some more amp hours on that bike ;)

Here are my rules for bike security:

1) only park it outside if i can see it from the inside, like at a restaurant or whatever.. AND only park it outside in a decent area / business where the shady folk aren't runnin' around.. so no walmart, for example :p

2) Always keep the bike inside my house. No exceptions.

3) If i need to stop at a business or work place, it has to come inside with me. If a business won't let me park my bike inside, i either will no longer shop there, or i will take my pedal bike.

I follow the exact same rules as neptronix ,

I would love to have a remote control on my keys that can activate REVERSE remotly :twisted:

Just imagine!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You let the guy reach a certain speed with your ebike, than activate the reverse by pushing the remote button :twisted: :twisted:

it's sure the guy will flip over the ebike because he just dont hold the handle bar enough because he is not prepared to that action :mrgreen:

or having partially conductive handle grip :twisted: :twisted: with a little HV pulse circuit :twisted: :twisted:

For me it mean.. DONT TOUCH WHAT YOU DONT OWN AND CAN'T CONTROL !!! and catch that with camera :twisted:

Doc

NAH! He is good why?.......... EDUCATIONAL 8)

Ypedal said:
Ban Nehmo for a few days should we ? :x

or stick with the usual tar and feathers..?

How to protect your bike and improve your memory at the same time:
Put a Taser on the front edge of the seat. Arm it when you leave the bike. Sit on the seat, Taser fires. SURPRISE :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just use a combination lock on one wheel so it doesn't roll.. fit it while you're waiting for the bus. Take it off after you get to your stop. Give me a break.. tasers in the seat? It'd just be a matter of time before I forgot and zapped myself. I'm sure you guys would do the same.

Slip the chain off so they can't get anywhere when they try to pedal.

Of course YOU are going to be the person that hits the ground most of the time when you can't get moving fast enough with the chain off! :roll: :lol:

vanilla ice said:
Give me a break.. tasers in the seat? It'd just be a matter of time before I forgot and zapped myself. I'm sure you guys would do the same.

+1 guaranteed...I could see my disabled ass jumping up on the seat **BZZZZZZ***... "frock frock frock AGHHHH"
:: wobble wobble THUD:: as i lay on the ground bike on top of me smoke pouring from the lipos... and my hair i wonder why i ever take
advice from some on these forums LoL :mrgreen:

KiM

on an Ebike with no freewheel (like a hub motor) as a kind of 'lock' you can short all the phases of
the motor. This will effectively lock the wheel and make it impossible to make a quick getaway :D

Lebowski said:
on an Ebike with no freewheel (like a hub motor) as a kind of 'lock' you can short all the phases of
the motor. This will effectively lock the wheel and make it impossible to make a quick getaway :D

That's exactly how I've done it for a few months now. Granted, I only short 2 phases, but still, the bike can't go more than 10kph this way. Still enough for me to catch the thief once my pager goes off.

Best idea yet. Unplug your phases, and plug in a block that shorts two. Or have a plug added to short two. Have fun riding off on that thing.

dogman said:
Best idea yet. Unplug your phases, and plug in a block that shorts two. Or have a plug added to short two. Have fun riding off on that thing.

Even better, install a 4-pin switch that will do that in a split second. I have one hidden under my rack. But make sure it doesn't pop on during a ride :shock:

I have found that if i short the battery plus and minus at the controller, it shorts the phases together. so i make a shorty plug that is a short circuit to plug into the bike when i go into stores. not sure if this is dangerous to controller. ps i lipo backpack it.

mike

AussieJester said:
vanilla ice said:
Give me a break.. tasers in the seat? It'd just be a matter of time before I forgot and zapped myself. I'm sure you guys would do the same.

+1 guaranteed...I could see my disabled ass jumping up on the seat **BZZZZZZ***... "frock frock frock AGHHHH"
:: wobble wobble THUD:: as i lay on the ground bike on top of me smoke pouring from the lipos... and my hair i wonder why i ever take
KiM
AJ;
I must ascribe this idea to my grandfather, even though he never heard of a taser. He worked in a shop where many would pause just outside and piss between 2 buildings. There was a 2 x 4 about 2 feet high between the buildings. Grandfather put one brass plate to stand on, on one one side and burried a brass plate just below the sand on the other side. He then connected an old Ford "buzz coil" between the plates. This eliminate the terrible smell just outside his shop door.

how bout a blue tooth signature ring. whatever it is doesn't power up unless it recieving a signal. could use it on a lot more than you bike. your car, your house, your laptop, your seat taser. give that a couple second delay though, so you have enough time to realize the throttle ain't working, and jump off and go get the remote.

I see so many bikes locked up at racks with thin cables. I occasionally leave a note saying how quickly I could cut that lock.

AussieJester said:
vanilla ice said:

KiM

KiM, you are killing me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I STILL wana hook-up something similar in the form of a "electric fence" to my bike, maybe have the contacts between the two hand grips or something, of course, this would be easily defeated with gloves, unless I had some kind of barb on the grips!

Now THAT would be fun when you forget and do it to yourself eh?

"Mommy?? Why is that funny man rolling on the ground and saying naughty words like daddy when he has an owie?" :p :shock: :roll: :lol:

Bike tourists have long used the tactics to leave their bike in its highest gear and a block wedged in the brake handle to lock the brakes. some would release the quick release on their front wheel. This would buy about 10 seconds while a thief was fumbling with mutliple problems.

To this I add disconnecting my battery these days. If at the grocery store I take the battery pack with me.

d

i used to think the same thing. great idea. but the powers that be have already bungled it. there are now gps BLOCKERS, that any thief worth his salt will have. and iirc, they're cheaper, like $20. i say, keep up with the active deterrents. at the very least, it should make for a more entertaining youtube.

Back