How cr4ppy?

Erogo

100 W
Wondering: "How crappy can an e-scooter get?"

The LBS has one new for 250 of our local dollars. That's about, what, US$180 or something? It's 48v, can only assume PbH+, and is probably compliant with NZ law on electric bicycles, which I can't remember (don;t care) whether it's 300w max or 600w max.

Do you reckon this could be a case of you get what you pay for, or do you reckon it's a killer deal I should leap on??

Eric

Lol.. if you're ok with going like 15mph go for it :)

Above that? the store bought stuff, 99% of the time, has cheap components that are fairly maxed out so there is no upgrade potential really..

So essentially you are buying a chassis. And probably not a good one.

But, but, they were originally trying to sell them for $1000 or $2000 or something, and this is the last one left. Surely it's really good eh? It's called an ezee scooter or something. The name on the forks is "no comeback". Odd.

For me at least, the thing would have just about zero usefulness. But if you were getting together an e scooter polo team, that would be different. Buy it if you have a use for it, but don't buy it if you dont.

Erogo said:
But, but, they were originally trying to sell them for $1000 or $2000 or something, and this is the last one left. Surely it's really good eh? It's called an ezee scooter or something. The name on the forks is "no comeback". Odd.

its a scooter ?
i dont see ezee scooter from googling..

ezee ebikes sells for $2000 on nyce...
http://www.nycewheels.com/ezee-all-electric-bikes.html

Yeah nah, I think I might be wrong about that "Ezee" bit. It wasnt heavily plastered with brandname, kinda anonymous looking. Generic almost. Like they were trying to hide something, or at least not sign their name to it.

I think I'll get it. I mean, NZ$250? The batteries alone have to be worth that dont they? For something?

Erogo,

Don't listen to them. If it's a brushless motor, then it's a steal. They can be pushed to far higher power than the designed use, and you can very easily come up with an ebike much lighter than the scooter. eg. I use an escooter motor every day. It was designed for 800W at 48V and 1200W at 60V, but I run it at over 5kw at 74V nominal which pushes 250lb fat me at up to 60mph.

When you get it, I'll help you maximize how best to use it. Just the magnets in the motor cost close to the piddly amount these days.

If it's brushed, just 2 wires coming out near the axle, then pass.

That was what I was thinking last night. If the magnets are really shiny, I'll get it. Do you think there's any possibility they're just using ferrite magnets? I guess anything's possible eh.

$250 : approved in advance by my exceptionally encouraging and supportive partner
: isn't much more than a week's groceries

Erogo said:
That was what I was thinking last night. If the magnets are really shiny, I'll get it. Do you think there's any possibility they're just using ferrite magnets? I guess anything's possible eh.

$250 : approved in advance by my exceptionally encouraging and supportive partner
: isn't much more than a week's groceries

I was just joking about the magnets, but otherwise, yes the motor and controller are likely to be worth more, and much of the scooter may be useful too. You may have to put your Junk Yark Wars hat on to maximize, but who knows. If it works, there's value, even if the batts are dead.

Yeah the old junk yard hat is pretty well-worn. You've seen my Brevette Winchini build maybe. This could be a good alternative approach to motivating the baby trailer, if I wasn't so far down the current path already!

The motor would be a bit tricky to lace, being one piece casting out to the rim you're pretty much stuck with current tyre dimensions.

Hopefully some other sucker will beat me to it and save me the bother!

Eric

It will be too high a Kv motor to go in a 26" wheel, so forget about lacing it. Smaller wheels are better for hubmotors anyway.

Yeah, if it's brushless, go for it!

You might also consider using in in mid-drive form, does it use #25 chain or bicycle chain at all or just a hub motor in a small wheel?

Either way, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it, but I'm a bigger fan of getting the motor you want that bolts on than "making it work" as you usually end up with more headaches than it's worth IMHO. :wink:

Ah, but headaches is what life's all about, isn't it? If you can always get what you want, you don't appreciate it any more.

Yes, this is just a hubmotor in a small wheel. I reckon it should be midmountable, via some sort of bodgy bracketing and lots of duct tape.

As a moped styles, it's also got a freewheel on it, with some chain coming from a "pedalable" shaft. I put pedalable in quotes because the shaft is a good foot wide, and has the cranks detached at the moment. I can't imagine anyone finding it comfortable and practical, to have pedals quite that far apart. I don't know what grade chain it is though.

I haven't had the opportunity to closely investigate it, as the shop was closing up when I spotted it. So I don't know if it's brushless or not (although my optimism tells me of course it is), and don't know if it's neodymium magnets, but again a little voice inside my head says "for sure".

So, if it's too high a Kv, maybe I can re-wind it! That would probably be another fun little headache to come to terms with. It's not like I've got anything else to do with my time, what with two babies under two years of age at the moment :)

Eric

OK I think it's an ezipp

Made in India, rated at 250w with 48v of SLA

The one in the shop sold, but get this: There's another one available because the original purchaser has given it away to the local women's refuge, who don't want it either. So they dont know how to get rid of it, being that it's such an amazing attractive piece of work that they cant bring themselves to throw it out.

Is this where I come in, and do them the favour of taking it off their hands? I mean, 250w of raw lead acid power, are we all getting a little bit aroused yet??

Eric

LOL.... junk. Forget it. brushed motor and lead acid... again, you are buying a chassis here. Those motors can't make crap for additional power. They get hot at stock voltage.

John in CR probably thought it had a cool scooter hub motor.

Back