Volt crash test fires?

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Volt crash test fires?

Post by dogman dan » Dec 07 2011 7:22am

There you have it. fires caused by coolant leaks causing short circuits. Shorts cause fires with any chemistry.

Not a lithuim chemistry problem. Just a engineering problem.

stewrobb   1 W

1 W

Re: Volt crash test fires?

Post by stewrobb » Dec 07 2011 4:47pm

Lol, now that's ironic, coolant causing a fire.

No fuses? Or did the engineers actually decide to put a reservoir right next to battery packs? Are they not properly waterproofed? WTF, screams newb to me. That's worse than one of us keeping a big bottle of water in the same pack as our Lipo's, kind of common sense no? Maybe they should just stick to ICE.
Gio 500+ scooter - @72v 50A X8M06 Greentime Controller
Delta/Wye - Regen - 20s3p 20c Turnigy hardcase
- Drove until the end, bent frame retired it

Current Build:
Ironhorse Hardtail frame, 120mm Suspension
Front Hayes Hydro Disc, Rear cable Disc
18 FET 4110 60A (for now) Controller
1000w Rear Motor - 420rpm@48v
20s3p Turnigy 5Ah

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 07 2011 5:54pm

stewrobb wrote:Lol, now that's ironic, coolant causing a fire.

No fuses? Or did the engineers actually decide to put a reservoir right next to battery packs? Are they not properly waterproofed? WTF, screams newb to me. That's worse than one of us keeping a big bottle of water in the same pack as our Lipo's, kind of common sense no? Maybe they should just stick to ICE.

The battery is water cooled. It has coolant channels flowing coolant actively all through it.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

stewrobb   1 W

1 W

Post by stewrobb » Dec 07 2011 6:12pm

Ahhh, fair enough, makes sense. That's pretty sweet actually, not the best for a consumer vehicle I guess (especially in the hands of Toronto drivers :D ), definitely hard to engineer that to a highly safe standard. Guess I can't bash their engineering on that one. Better placement is probably key, but hard on a vehicle like that. No matter where it is sooner or later I'm sure somebody will be able to blow it up :roll:. I wonder if a gel type coolant would be better, would definitely complicate the pump system though. I should probably read before I post eh :wink:. Thanks LFP,

Stew
Gio 500+ scooter - @72v 50A X8M06 Greentime Controller
Delta/Wye - Regen - 20s3p 20c Turnigy hardcase
- Drove until the end, bent frame retired it

Current Build:
Ironhorse Hardtail frame, 120mm Suspension
Front Hayes Hydro Disc, Rear cable Disc
18 FET 4110 60A (for now) Controller
1000w Rear Motor - 420rpm@48v
20s3p Turnigy 5Ah

zombiess   1 GW

1 GW

Post by zombiess » Dec 07 2011 6:59pm

Thankfully most vehicles on the road use highly stable inflammable gasoline. Makes me feel much safer knowing my car can't catch on fire like these scary electric cars.
Fundamentals United, Inc.

Alan B   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Alan B » Dec 07 2011 9:37pm

The news said something about antifreeze crystalizing as it dried out.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Dec 07 2011 11:47pm

Well, water is conductive and all..

Best part is that the IIHS gave it 5 stars all around :mrgreen: thank you gubmint for protecting us against these exploding death cars!!

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=725
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Heavy duty Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 08 2011 12:06am

Pure water isn't very conductive at all...but once it gets contaminants (like minerals and salts) in it, it can be very conductive. (and it dissolves thing so easily it usually has lots of contaminants)

That said, is there a post missing from the start of this thread or something? Because Dogman's post looks like a reply to something, and not an OP.... :?

Alan B   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Alan B » Dec 08 2011 1:19am

There was another thread on this topic, probably should join/move this to it.

edcastrovalley   1 kW

1 kW

Post by edcastrovalley » Dec 08 2011 1:31am

Could this be what's really going on with the Volt?

A special interest (with lots of money) owns controlling interest of GM but lets it fail anyway because of the overwhelming pension costs of autoworkers, medical cost, etc. Obama bails out GM with a few stipulations like building and selling an electric car, etc. The electric car turns special interest's stomach and special interest puts an ice in the electric car anyway and charges to much for it ($40k). Electric car somehow burns up in a parking lot with no one around it and special interest directs the press to report it widely thereby planting a few seeds of doubt in any would be buyer's mind. Special interest reports low interest and low sales and swaps the electric car for an ice mobile while wearing large grins. The plot get uncovered somehow and the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car Again" comes out.

Of course, I could be all wrong on this. I don't know if electrics would ever make reliable transportation anyway. :roll:

zombiess   1 GW

1 GW

Post by zombiess » Dec 08 2011 11:13am

edcastrovalley wrote:Could this be what's really going on with the Volt?

A special interest (with lots of money) owns controlling interest of GM but lets it fail anyway because of the overwhelming pension costs of autoworkers, medical cost, etc. Obama bails out GM with a few stipulations like building and selling an electric car, etc. The electric car turns special interest's stomach and special interest puts an ice in the electric car anyway and charges to much for it ($40k). Electric car somehow burns up in a parking lot with no one around it and special interest directs the press to report it widely thereby planting a few seeds of doubt in any would be buyer's mind. Special interest reports low interest and low sales and swaps the electric car for an ice mobile while wearing large grins. The plot get uncovered somehow and the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car Again" comes out.

Of course, I could be all wrong on this. I don't know if electrics would ever make reliable transportation anyway. :roll:
Tinfoil hat anyone.... Sadly I'm starting to make my own :( Some things just aren't adding up the more I read about electric vehicles and their past. Way too much weirdness to simply be called coincidence with EVs.
Fundamentals United, Inc.

TRONZ   1 µW

1 µW

Post by TRONZ » Dec 14 2011 8:58pm

edcastrovalley wrote:Could this be what's really going on with the Volt?

I do not disagree with this.
Rides;
11 Nissan LEAF SL L3 - 10,500 Miles
05 GSXR1000
06 CRF450R by Pro Circuit