Gallery of Miscellany

Link

1 MW
So.

Some of you might remember me. Haven't really posted since about this time two years ago? Used to be way too active in terms of posts/day?

ANYWAY, at the risk of possibly looking like a self-aggrandizing attention whore and in response to what I'm going to interpret as a few indirect requests...projects.

Obligatory first: Dog. Always a project, as anyone who cares for such a beast knows.

DSCN1983.jpg

Absurd creature...

DSCN1952.jpg

Exhibit B: A Personal Irritation and Acoustic Nuisance Originator. Also known as PIANO. My grandma's trailer home needed clearing out since she moved and I asked if I could have this. Fixed it up, learned to tune it (more or less; not like it holds a tune anyway), and can play it okay-ish. Trying to learn to actually read sheets, though, and...so much frustration. Hence the acronym. Doesn't help that what I'm trying to play right now is in B-flat, but whatever, I guess.

DSCN2006.jpg
DSCN2007.jpg
DSCN2008.jpg
DSCN2023.jpg
DSCN2033.jpg
DSCN2034.jpg

After getting exceedingly fed up with my old desk (and then doing nothing about it for quite some time), I built a new one. The old one was actually a fold-out table, not a desk, so it had a bunch of cross-supports and legs in the middle and it was generally a massive pain in the ass to sit at, since there was absolutely no place for your legs to rest comfortably. As an aside, this was something of an experiment to see if it was possible to make particle board look good.

(Spoiler: It's not.)

DSCN1959.jpg
DSCN1963.jpg

For similar raging-over-cramped-spaces reasons, I would later decide it prudent to construct some extra storage in the garage, since dealing with things out there as it stood was much more difficult than necessary.

And I must say, having all my tools so easily accessible is quite nice. If I needed so much as one thing cut just once, I was in for a half-hour or more's worth of finding what I needed, actually cutting the thing, and then cleaning up. Muuuuch easier a task now. Especially if it was something small. The addition of the scroll saw helped immensely in that regard. Most of anything that could be considered scrollwork that I needed done was a job for a Dremel with a spiral saw on it. Not fun.

DSCN2168.jpg
DSCN2188.jpg

And, most recently, I saw this oh-so-neat device on YouTube, saw what it was made out of, and thought "well that might be an interesting way to waste a day or two and $15".

Too many hours and too much money later...

DSCN2231.jpg
DSCN2233.jpg

It's called a laminar water jet. It's basically a glorified hose nozzle, and the working mechanism behind "jumping jet" style fountains.

DSCN2235.jpg
DSCN2241.jpg

It's quite a bit more impressive in person, I swear.

Still waiting on the pump for it. Thing uses soooo much water and floods the yard faster than you'd believe with even just a small outlet. If anyone gets any funny ideas, take my advice and just do one out of 2" or maybe 4" pipe. 6"+ nozzles eat a budget like damn. Now if I could just figure out what to do with it after I'm done...

Link said:
Obligatory first: Dog. Always a project, as anyone who cares for such a beast knows.
Yes; the four I have left right now are each their own project...together, well....:roll: :)

Absurd creature...
Always. :lol:
Border collie mix? Or something else?

Exhibit B: A Personal Irritation and Acoustic Nuisance Originator. Also known as PIANO. My grandma's trailer home needed clearing out since she moved and I asked if I could have this. Fixed it up, learned to tune it (more or less; not like it holds a tune anyway), and can play it okay-ish. Trying to learn to actually read sheets, though, and...so much frustration. Hence the acronym. Doesn't help that what I'm trying to play right now is in B-flat, but whatever, I guess.
I forget now the details, but IIRC a common reason for not holding a tune is dry wood. Humidifying it might help. But I might be thinking of guitars. :oops: Been way too long. :(

Great thing about piano...if what you want to play is in a key that's tough to finger, and you're playing solo, just move your fingers over one or two keys and shift all the notes that way. Much easier than re-figuring it out on a guitar or something. :)

(Is there a way to get these side-by-side? This is an incredibly inefficient layout.)
If you have them on an image site instead of attachments, then simply concatenating all the IMG tags together without spaces will do it. As attachments, though, I don't know a way to do it.

Link said:
(Is there a way to get these side-by-side? This is an incredibly inefficient layout.)
Yes, but you would need to resize them first to...max of either 600 or 800

Amberwolf is almost correct when he says
amberwolf said:
If you have them on an image site instead of attachments, then simply concatenating all the IMG tags together without spaces will do it. As attachments, though, I don't know a way to do it.

You do not need to use an image site, you could use then from here too...preferably attach them to a different post as they would appear twice. As the linked file in the [IMD] tags and then as the atachement

The main reason is often image size I have had a go with yours,and taken them down to a small max size of 500. I thought it was 600, but today it doesn not seem to work at 600 but 500 did...screen sizing thing no doubt.

You will see I have posted the images in this post..but not 'Placed them in line' or anything...they are just attachments. but int eh second post I have used the tags

Preview the post, right click the image, copy that address from the new tab and then use that as the contents of the [IMG] tag
[code][img]http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=72456
file.php
[/code]

See the next post

Attachments

• DSCN2021.JPG
    DSCN2021.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,410
  • DSCN2023.JPG
    DSCN2023.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,410
I find myself constantly wanting to point people to the same pics and always end up having to re attach them.
What I should do is create a single post solely for uploading photos to, then link to them in the other posts.

Meh this'll have to work. Really it should be external images above a certain size should be thumbnailed...solves problems.

amberwolf said:
Border collie mix? Or something else?

Purebred collie. Think Lassie, only a different color.

amberwolf said:
I forget now the details, but IIRC a common reason for not holding a tune is dry wood. Humidifying it might help. But I might be thinking of guitars. :oops: Been way too long. :(

Don't think I've heard that one before for pianos. In any case, this one's just in a general state of disrepair. Pianos tend to go out of tune quickly if they've never been tuned, and this one's not been tuned for (I'm going to guess here) at least 15 years. You're only supposed to have to tune the thing twice a year if your climate is stable, 4 times is the norm. This thing's off within 3 weeks. Can't really complain, though. I mean, it WAS free and I'd never be able to afford a used one in decent condition.

It's not so much that it's in a difficult key so much as I have no idea what I'm doing here and that's compounding the problem. I don't know what mark on the lines represents what note to begin with, and having to remember what's supposed to be a flat and what isn't when consulting a chart detailing what's what is just piling onto that. Though the most significant problem really is that I need practice but I don't want to practice this particular aspect of it, lol.

Back