DIY graphene high capacity supercapacitors -use a DVD writer

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

Graphite oxide is a yellowish substance that has been the subject of previous research into graphene manufacture, since it can yield a form of graphene under a variety of treatments including pulses of light. The problem is to achieve the precise, uniform structure of natural graphene, in bulk quantities.

The LightScribe laser works around that by reducing and stripping a thin layer of graphite oxide to form graphene on the spot. The result is a flat surface without the performance-inhibiting pores that characterize activated carbon.
Peel-away electrodes for your DIY supercapacitor

The graphite oxide coating is preceded onto the blank DVD by a layer of plastic. When the LightScribe operation is finished, the plastic can simply be peeled off the DVD with its atom-thick layer of graphene intact, and cut into shape literally with a pair of scissors (check out YouTube for a video of the process). Two of the sheets, with an electrolyte in between, form the supercapacitor.

Source: Clean Technica (http://s.tt/17zJE)

[youtube]_oEFwyoWKXo[/youtube]
youtube said:
Imagine having an energy storage device that stores as much energy as a conventional battery, yet, can be charged 100 to 1000 times faster. Supercapacitors store charge in electrochemical double layers whereas batteries store charge through electrochemical reactions. Although supercapacitors can charge and discharge much faster than batteries, they are still limited by low energy densities and slow rate capabilities.

Researchers at UCLA have successfully used an inexpensive precursor (graphite oxide) to produce high-performance graphene-based supercapacitors using a computerized LightScribe DVD drive. These devices exhibit ultrahigh energy density values in different electrolytes approaching those of batteries, yet they can be charged in seconds. The devices can be charged and discharged for more than 10,000 cycles without losing much in performance compared with a normal life-time of less than 1000 cycles typical for batteries. Additionally, the devices are completely flexible and maintain excellent performance under high mechanical stress.

Read more at Chemistry World
http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2012/March/graphene-dvd-player-burn-supercapacitor.asp
Chemistry World said:
DVD player burns graphene to disc

15 March 2012

Producing a highly sought wonder material can be as easy as burning a DVD. That is according to chemists in the US, who have used a standard DVD player to reduce films of graphite oxide to graphene. These graphene films can be made into high-performance, flexible capacitors fit for bendy solar cells or roll-up displays.

A lot of current research is focused on producing high-performance capacitors for energy storage. Electrochemical capacitors, otherwise known as supercapacitors, have some promising attributes - they can undergo frequent charge and discharge cycles, for instance - but in general they are still limited by low energy and power densities. Higher energy densities would enable devices to run longer, while higher power densities would enable them to run faster.

Graphene - the subject of the 2010 physics Nobel prize - is one material that could improve the performance of electrochemical capacitors. A sheet of graphite just one atom thick, it has an extremely high surface area and electrical conductivity, which suggests it would offer high energy and power densities. Unfortunately, graphene has proved difficult to fabricate and samples that are produced often stick together, reducing their surface area.

Maher El-Kady and others at the University of California at Los Angeles have now found a way to fabricate graphene films, and graphene capacitors, without any sticking together. The researchers take a DVD and apply a layer of plastic, followed by a film of graphite oxide. They then insert the DVD into a standard DVD drive, so that the in-built laser chemically reduces the graphite oxide to graphene. Having removed the disc, the researchers peel off the plastic, which is then coated in graphene, and cut it into whatever shapes they desire.

To make the graphene films into capacitors, El-Kady's group fill the space between two parallel sheets of the laser-scribed graphene with an electrolyte, phosphoric acid. Not only are these capacitors flexible, but they have an electrical performance that surpasses other commercial energy-storage devices, according to the researchers' tests. Compared with a carbon electrochemical capacitor, for instance, the graphene capacitors had energy densities that were twice as high and power densities that were 20 times higher.

'We believe that our devices will pave the way to further applications - for example, flexible power supplies for roll-up computer displays, wearable electronics, and energy-storage systems to be combined with flexible photovoltaic cells,' says El-Kady.

Yury Gogotsi, a materials scientist at Drexel University in Philadelphia, US, is impressed by the fabrication technique. '[The] two main points that are most novel ... are not particularly the high gravimetric capacitance and energy density of the devices, but the simple fabrication process and exceptional mechanical stability, which has not been previously reported anywhere else,' he says.

El-Kady says the next step is to demonstrate that the fabrication volume can be improved, while minimising cost. 'Our initial calculations show that the price of the precursor, graphite oxide, and the whole process is viable for commercial applications,' he adds.

Awesome

now THAT IS COOL!

free supercaps for all? No nano tech required? Talk about a gamechanger...

got my lightscribe and some gatorade but where can I get graphene?

Hey let's see some geniuses here make supercap bikes! :twisted:

Dee Jay said:
now THAT IS COOL!

free supercaps for all? No nano tech required? Talk about a gamechanger...

got my lightscribe and some gatorade but where can I get graphene?

Hey let's see some geniuses here make supercap bikes! :twisted:
Perfact for drag racing!

Arlo1 said:
Perfact for drag racing!
perfect for anything!

2 second charge per 5 minutes of discharge?? 8)

And you can shape your supercap pack into a storage box... storage box to carry what? Your charger of course!

so are they going to share the pattern? Anyone here know how to make the pattern?

Dee Jay said:
Arlo1 said:
Perfact for drag racing!
perfect for anything!

2 second charge per 5 minutes of discharge?? 8)

And you can shape your supercap pack into a storage box... storage box to carry what? Your charger of course!

so are they going to share the pattern? Anyone here know how to make the pattern?
Graphine is just a single layer of graphite so i dont think the pattern is anything other then what you want for a shape for your cap!

Dee Jay said:
cooool

hey maybe true regen will now be possible
? You meen the regen we have been using is fake?

Hi,

Dee Jay said:
...so are they going to share the pattern? Anyone here know how to make the pattern?

got my lightscribe and some gatorade but where can I get graphene?...
Arlo is correct, its a layer, not a pattern.

The breakthrough is using a LightScribe DVD drive to create the graphene, "reduce films of graphite oxide to graphene". Even better the result is an "atom-thick layer of graphene"!

Chemistry World said:
Producing a highly sought wonder material can be as easy as burning a DVD. That is according to chemists in the US, who have used a standard DVD player to reduce films of graphite oxide to graphene...

...Graphene - the subject of the 2010 physics Nobel prize - is one material that could improve the performance of electrochemical capacitors. A sheet of graphite just one atom thick, it has an extremely high surface area and electrical conductivity, which suggests it would offer high energy and power densities. Unfortunately, graphene has proved difficult to fabricate and samples that are produced often stick together, reducing their surface area.

Maher El-Kady and others at the University of California at Los Angeles have now found a way to fabricate graphene films, and graphene capacitors, without any sticking together. The researchers take a DVD and apply a layer of plastic, followed by a film of graphite oxide. They then insert the DVD into a standard DVD drive, so that the in-built laser chemically reduces the graphite oxide to graphene. Having removed the disc, the researchers peel off the plastic, which is then coated in graphene, and cut it into whatever shapes they desire. ...

Clean Technica said:
Graphite oxide is a yellowish substance that has been the subject of previous research into graphene manufacture, since it can yield a form of graphene under a variety of treatments including pulses of light. The problem is to achieve the precise, uniform structure of natural graphene, in bulk quantities.

The LightScribe laser works around that by reducing and stripping a thin layer of graphite oxide to form graphene on the spot. The result is a flat surface without the performance-inhibiting pores that characterize activated carbon.
Peel-away electrodes for your DIY supercapacitor

The graphite oxide coating is preceded onto the blank DVD by a layer of plastic. When the LightScribe operation is finished, the plastic can simply be peeled off the DVD with its atom-thick layer of graphene intact, and cut into shape literally with a pair of scissors (check out YouTube for a video of the process). Two of the sheets, with an electrolyte in between, form the supercapacitor.

Dee Jay said:
... 2 second charge per 5 minutes of discharge?? 8) ?

so in 24 secs you could charge an hours worth of battery power ?
..That means , even for a "small" 10Ahr pack, to recharge at that rate in 24 secs, would need a 1500 A charge current. !!

so..possibly cheap , light, rechargeable supercaps, .....but a freekin enormous expensive charger, and an industrial scale power supply to hook up to !
.. or maybe a bigger pack of Nanotech on standby charge to act as the recharge source ! :shock:
.. Oh yea, thats made things a lot cheaper ! :roll:

Hillhater said:
Dee Jay said:
... 2 second charge per 5 minutes of discharge?? 8) ?

so in 24 secs you could charge an hours worth of battery power ?
..That means , even for a "small" 10Ahr pack, to recharge at that rate in 24 secs, would need a 1500 A charge current. !!

so..possibly cheap , light, rechargeable supercaps, .....but a freekin enormous expensive charger, and an industrial scale power supply to hook up to !
.. or maybe a bigger pack of Nanotech on standby charge to act as the recharge source ! :shock:
.. Oh yea, thats made things a lot cheaper ! :roll:
Uhm dude just cuse you can charge at that speed doesnt meen you have to... Just have 2 sets of caps one on charge and one on your bike and you can either switch them or dump the power from one to the other. Then you can charge super fast. But the real question is going to be energy density. Same as what type of battery?

Arlo1 said:
You meen the regen we have been using is fake?
fake as apple stores in china :lol:

show me an ev (excuse me, I meant ebike) that's capable of regeneration.

EDIT:
woops, here's one..2008
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9986339-1.html

Hillhater said:
. Oh yea, thats made things a lot cheaper ! :roll:
you have to at least appreciate that supercaps can now be manufactured at home and make as many supercaps as you need, which means you'll save lots of money.

so where does one find graphite oxide? Or are we hitting peak graphite oxide, too? :roll:

I saw a rig that the MIT ev team uses to fast charge their a123 motorcycle. It was pretty much just a welded angle steel framework holding up a huge stack of big lead acid batteries slowly charged and ready a the voltage of the motorcycle pack.

Seemed to me that would be the most cost effective way to achieve fast charging power requirements in the home.

gestalt said:
I saw a rig that the MIT ev team uses to fast charge their a123 motorcycle. It was pretty much just a welded angle steel framework holding up a huge stack of big lead acid batteries slowly charged and ready a the voltage of the motorcycle pack.

Seemed to me that would be the most cost effective way to achieve fast charging power requirements in the home.
good info! :D

Hillhater said:
Dee Jay said:
...you have to at least appreciate that supercaps can now be manufactured at home and make as many supercaps as you need, which means you'll save lots of money.:

Show us when you have made your first ones.
who's down for a graphite oxide group buy? :lol:

Isn't graphite oxide the same as CO2, like the stuff you breathe out?
Just breathe on the DVD while it's burning.

Just kidding, but WTF is graphite oxide anyway? And I heard somewhere that the graphene doesn't like to stick to metal, so making capacitors out of it may be tricky. Very interesting stuff. Roll up a sheet of graphine and it could be like a wire with very low resistance. Supposedly super strong stuff too.

I know it's possible to make DLC (diamond-like carbon) with methane and high voltage, two things I have plenty of. DLC is very similar to graphene, only thicker. Maybe there's a cheap way to make large sheets using chemical vapor deposition.

Hold your methane, fechter! :lol: I found the graphite store! You can buy nano graphite by the gallons..

GS-TC307 nano-Graphite Powder
GS-TC307 nano-Graphite Powder is our ultra-fine powder with a nominal BET surface area of 350 m2/g, and particle size distribution from 0.20um to 20um. Nano-graphite powders ...

http://www.graphitestore.com/items_list.asp/action/prod/prd_id/34/cat_id/28

OK guys lets make this a DIY super cap build thread! Maybe we can win the nasa money with this!

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/122763-graphene-supercapacitors-are-20-times-as-powerful-can-be-made-with-a-dvd-burner

These graphene supercapacitors could really change the technology landscape. While computing power roughly doubles every 18 months, battery technology is almost at a standstill. Supercapacitors, which suffer virtually zero degradation over 10,000 cycles or more, have been cited as a possible replacement for low-energy devices, such as smartphones. With their huge power density, supercapacitors could also revolutionize electric vehicles, where huge lithium-ion batteries really struggle to strike a balance between mileage, acceleration, and longevity. It’s also worth noting, however, that lithium-ion batteries themselves have had their capacity increased by 10 times thanks to the addition of graphene. Either way, then, graphene seems like it will play a major role in the future of electronics.

10,000 cycles and zero degradation :shock:

Seems odd for the author to say battery tech is at a standstill and in the same paragraph say that graphene has improved batteries 10X.

Supercaps have their place, but so far (on this board) they have been shown to be inferior to lithium batteries due to the voltage drop.

I hope this technology becomes usable in the next few years. What I've read about graphene is that it has uncontrolled current. The problem isn't turning it "on", rather, making it turn "off".

TylerDurden said:
Seems odd for the author to say battery tech is at a standstill and in the same paragraph say that graphene has improved batteries 10X.

Supercaps have their place, but so far (on this board) they have been shown to be inferior to lithium batteries due to the voltage drop.
That's because this is fairly new stuff. The video has 641 views on it. The other good part is they are working on transistors that use graphene which will give uber fast switching times. Maybe something good for hi PWM frequencies.... They have been using graphene in lipo batteries as it says for a while so Its not all new but I think with enough experimenting it may have potential for a game changing movement!

Back