Crank-driven tire pump

Rollodo

1 kW
This is something I came across a few days ago, I've never seen of heard of anything like this. It's a tire pump driven by a rotary backward motion of the bicycle crank. If you know the guy in the video or anything about the pump (maybe you've seen it before), please post back.

[youtube]GxvpD33AMxQ[/youtube]

If this proves to be a feasible concept and somebody here at ES could manufacture this, I for one would be very pleased and would possibly buy a couple.

That's fairly clever. I rekon folks can DIY one of those by cannibalizing a 12V inflator.

Here is a large image of the internals:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CVW_rwnR2Zw/TB_2B9ePSoI/AAAAAAAAFHs/Itzbxkw1rEo/s1600/Tyre+inflator+and+digital+gauge.jpg

In a nutshell:
The small 12V motor spins a crank driving the piston up and down. Replace the motor with a sprocket and make a bracket to attach the assembly to the bike.

The devil is in the details, so kudos to the guy who did it.

Looks more compact than the traditional hand pump. Bet the weight isn’t that different. Beats building a new muscle if you’ve got one of those 2.5” phatty tires. Then again, the 12V original keeps it simple (and I have 12V available through my DC-DC converter). :)

Thanks for posting, KF

Heh, ya, I hook my 12V up to my drill battery and noticed it works in either polarity, so can be spun in either direction. Clever indeed.

It is clever but the only time I'm going to use a hand pump is if I have a flat while riding. And I would much rather deal with a hand pump then play with a greasy chain to install that thing. However, if it had a freewheel on it so it could be perminantly mounted then I'd like it.

Bob

dumbass said:
It is clever but the only time I'm going to use a hand pump is if I have a flat while riding. And I would much rather deal with a hand pump then play with a greasy chain to install that thing. However, if it had a freewheel on it so it could be perminantly mounted then I'd like it.

Bob
I'm sure there would be a way to permanently mount it, IF there was one made. I'd actually rather rotate the crank than trying to press on that pump over and over and over again until I need a shot of Red Bull to keep me going.

Integrate that into the bike itself somehow and you have a winner. Until then, I'll keep my hands clean and use a hand pump. A rigid hand pump is also easier to transport on a bike than that doohickey.

we've had those here in Japan on some premium mother's bikes for a long time now, don't know how it works tho

The hose needs to be longer. Its ability to reach the front wheel seems very tight.

If it can't reach carrying two pumps completely defeats the purpose.

Joseph C. said:
The hose needs to be longer. Its ability to reach the front wheel seems very tight.

The back wheel had quick release…

gogo said:
Joseph C. said:

The back wheel had quick release…

Yes but it looks like it is designed to work only from the back wheel. It's not functional if you remove it from the chain.

Joseph C. said:
Yes but it looks like it is designed to work only from the back wheel. It's not functional if you remove it from the chain.
It might be possible to remove the front wheel and place it next to the pump by the back wheel. :wink:

I really like the basic idea, and if I were still riding unpowered bikes I'd probably look into doing it.

But since I have a battery on my bike, I'd rather just do what I now do: carry a 12V automotive pump. :)

Though I used to carry a footpump: it's hose came off and I decided I'd had it with that kind of thing happening. I previously used a bicycle handpump by Bell, whcih while by itself it works well, I can't hold it strongly enough to keep it from flexing the valve stems, and it caused a number of tube failures (or exacerbated existing failures in the stems). So I don't use it anymore, except sometimes on tubes that are not installed in rims yet, and sometimes to air up other things that don't have the risk of cutting into the valve stem.

Back